Natalie Merchant - The House Carpenter's Daughter

It goes without saying that you have to like Merchant's voice to even consider buying this CD, but I was always a big fan of the 10,000 Manics so I just had to get this.

Man, I like this. Old-timey (not all are old) folk tunes done in a mostly acoustic environment with banjo, fiddle, acoustic & steel guitar... I am somewhat remined of John Mellencamp's "The Lonesome Jubilee". The lyrics are riveting with each song telling a story. Obviously this is nothing new for Merchant, who made a name for herself with socially relevent lyrics during her days with the Maniacs.

You know what's weird? I never though folk music could also be bluesy, but this seems to be very "blue" to my ears. Blues-folk? A new genre? Whatever, I'd buy more if she makes more like this.

I'm writing this in the hope that others who have heard/bought this CD know of other discs like this that I can look for. This is a style of music that has it's moments.

Find some on-line samples and see if it's for you. I give it a thimbs up.

Later,

Kevin

I'm writing this in the hope that others who have heard/bought this CD know of other discs like this that I can look for. This is a style of music that has it's moments.

Find some on-line samples and see if it's for you. I give it a thimbs up.

Later,

Kevin

Oh, I have all of her CDs and the 10,000 albums. I had high hopes for this CD, but it didn't stick with me at all. I wouldn't recommend this CD to anyone.

Maybe I need to give it another try.

:unsure:

I think it's called bluegrass.

Nah, this ain't bluegrass. Bluegrass is more up tempo. A lot of the songs on this CD are very slow. Might be why some fans of Merchant's work aren't digging it. This is more like a blues album done with folk instrumentation. I don't know, I'd be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of this style of music in my collection. Maybe all folk singers sound like this?

I've often wondered what it is about Natalie Merchant that seems to make everyone either like or hate her in an instant? Whenever I put on one of her CDs on with company over, within minutes I either hear, "Get this off!" or "Who is this?". :)

I just loved the tune "Like the Weather" from "Blind Man's Zoo" and that got me hooked. I even like the unplugged CD.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Nah, this ain't bluegrass. Bluegrass is more up tempo.

Not necessarily.

I've often wondered what it is about Natalie Merchant that seems to make everyone either like or hate her in an instant? Whenever I put on one of her CDs on with company over, within minutes I either hear, "Get this off!" or "Who is this?". :)

Well, you asked, so I guess I'll answer. I will preface this with the obligatory and obvious caveat that this is just my opinion.

The timbre of her voice is wretched. It sounds like she's singing through the roof of her mouth, with absolutely no space vertically. It's all horizontal. Those are vocal terms, I don't know if they make sense.

She also ends every phrase by dropping off the pitch of the note. I call it the "Elton John" effect. She never sings the end of a phrase by holding the pitch. It always falls away. Drives me CRAZY. It would be akin to a trombonist ending every phrase by hitting the note and then whipping his slide all the way out.

Pla

....a

......a

.......a

........a

..........t.

Like a limp noodle.

She also ends every phrase by dropping off the pitch of the note. I call it the "Elton John" effect. She never sings the end of a phrase by holding the pitch. It always falls away. Drives me CRAZY. It would be akin to a trombonist ending every phrase by hitting the note and then whipping his slide all the way out.

Pla

....a

......a

.......a

........a

..........t.

Like a limp noodle.

You must hate Booker Ervin!! :)

I never analyzed her vocal style so I'll have to take your word on it. I just dig it.

FWIW, another vocalist who seems to have this "love it" or "hate it" reaction is the Cranberries' Delores O'Riordin. I like her Irish lilt and play their stuff a lot when I'm in the mood to rock. My sister likens her voice to fingernails-on-chalkboard.

BTW, if you don't like Merchant's voice that much, do not go listen to sound samples of this new CD... you'll go postal on someone. Her vocals are very up close in the mix to the point where you can hear the breath sounds.

Later,

Kevin

if you don't like Merchant's voice that much, do not go listen to sound samples of this new CD... you'll go postal on someone. Her vocals are very up close in the mix to the point where you can hear the breath sounds.

Natalie Merchant breathing in my ear would not bother me...

Natalie Merchant singing in my ear, otoh...

But hey, no such thing as a free lunch, I suppose.