Overlooked Guitarists

Brad

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I can't find a photo of Stephen Stimpell.

outtahere.gif

But seriously, I wonder what ever happened to this guy...

http://www.tvparty.com/g2h/mrterrific2.ram

A Google search indicates that he is now largely a drama teacher ... It appears that he did a few small parts in movies until the late 80s, and more recently he is listed as a drama teacher/scene coach in quite a large number of online actor's resumés ... "those that can't .... "

I also could not find a picture, other than that scene that you found ... but it appears as if Wally Cox, William Daniels and Stephen Strimpell all look very much alike .... or they did when they were young!

Edited by garthsj

I suppose they've all been mentioned, but here's a couple of personal favorites:

Joe Diorio (his Wes hommage album on some italian label is a treat, his sound is so beautiful)

Sacha Distel (get the 2CD "hors série" Jazz in Paris release!)

Jimmy Gourley (get his album with Barney Wilen!)

Barry Galbraith (love his playing on all those dates with the George Russell people in the late fifties!)

I would have a look at Austrian Wolfgang Muthspiel (some stuff he did with his brother, with Rebekka Bakken or with his Trio), Czech Rudy Linka (scholar of Scofield) and Brasilian Baden Powell (some of his LP's are due to be re-release on MPS this year according to Universal germany)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Muthspiel is astonishing! Heard some live recordings of his: solo (his show of 2004's Saalfelden festival), trio (with Scott Colley, somewhere in London, thanks to BBC3), and with that string quartet. Also got that disc he made with the strings. It's not a quartet, but a trio, I think. Pretty interesting stuff! And he himself is astonishing.

Martin Koller is another interesting Austrian guitarist.

Philip Schaufelberger (part of Lucas Niggli's "Zoom" outfits, several discs on Intakt) is an interesting swiss player.

Other overlooked guitarists that come to mind:

Swiss Stephan Wittwer - not really a jazz musician, more part of the free improv scene...

and of course Helmut "Joe" Sachse!

Muthspiel is astonishing! Heard some live recordings of his: solo (his show of 2004's Saalfelden festival), trio (with Scott Colley, somewhere in London, thanks to BBC3), and with that string quartet. Also got that disc he made with the strings. It's not a quartet, but a trio, I think. Pretty interesting stuff! And he himself is astonishing.

Martin Koller is another interesting Austrian guitarist.

Philip Schaufelberger (part of Lucas Niggli's "Zoom" outfits, several discs on Intakt) is an interesting swiss player.

Other overlooked guitarists that come to mind:

Swiss Stephan Wittwer - not really a jazz musician, more part of the free improv scene...

and of course Helmut "Joe" Sachse!

Another big :tup for Muthspiel.

Ralph Towner

Alan Holdsworth (maybe because his music contains a bit of fusion and rock, but his recent work has less of that).

Once again there is the problem with the exact definition of "overlooked". I would never categorize Towner and Holdsworth as overlooked.

I like their music, especially Towner's.