Box sets to avoid

take5

Lots of great suggestions. Let me just add the you really ought to consider the Complete "Wes" on Riverside Box. The masterings presented in the current box configuration are getting a little long in the tooth, however the quality is quite good to excellent throughout. Good booklet too with among other things a number of nice remembrances from his contemporaries as well as his musical offspring. I smile from ear to ear everytime I listen to this set. I can't begin the count the number of hours I've spent enjoying this collection.

It seems like everytime I get a little burnout or disenchanted with jazz all I need to do is put on some Riverside era Wes and it all the bad vibes melt away. There is not one calculated note played on this entire set. This is some serious "soul music" done Wes style if you know what I mean?

Other sets I'm considering:

- complete Albert Ayler (though I've never heard his music, just read some interesting things)

I've never heard of a "complete" Ayler box. His stuff came out on too many different labels (Impulse, ESP, Amercia, Freedom, Shandar, etc) for that kind of a collection.

If you're refering to the Revenant box, it's great but not anywhere near a complete set of his recorded works. Then again, that was never the point. B-)

Oh yeah, what to avoid....

1) Buy the Charlie Christian Box (The Genius of the Electric Guitar).

2) Insert CDs in plain vanilla jewel cases thereby avoiding any consternation brought on by the absolutely horrible original packaging.

3) Throw away the original packaging. No really!

4) Do not feel guilty!

5) Play the heck out of this music!!

Other sets I'm considering:

- complete Albert Ayler (though I've never heard his music, just read some interesting things)

I've never heard of a "complete" Ayler box. His stuff came out on too many different labels (Impulse, ESP, Amercia, Freedom, Shandar, etc) for that kind of a collection.

If you're refering to the Revenant box, it's great but not anywhere near a complete set of his recorded works. Then again, that was never the point. B-)

I'd not start with the Ayler box, I'd get Witches and Devils (1201 Music), Spiritual Unity (ESP) and the complete Greenwich Village set (Impulse!) first.

Edited by J.A.W.

Oh yeah, what to avoid....

1) Buy the Charlie Christian Box (The Genius of the Electric Guitar).

2) Insert CDs in plain vanilla jewel cases thereby avoiding any consternation brought on by the absolutely horrible original packaging.

3) Throw away the original packaging. No really!

4) Do not feel guilty!

5) Play the heck out of this music!!

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Great, essential music .... very nerve-wracking packaging .... open at your peril!

The Trane sets on your list (Atlantic, Impulse quartet, Village Vanguard) are all sure things. Along with the Miles Columbia sets, they are my favorites...even more than my Mosaics.

Might I suggest the "Live Trane: The European Tours" box set from Fantasy. Seven CDs of peak live John Coltrane Quartet...some of the songs have Eric Dolphy as well.

Yep, got the European concerts box, too.

Note that the complete Impulse! quartet studio box may be considered "obsolete" at this point because Ballads, Love Supreme and Coltrane were released as double CDs with lots of bonus tracks. I don't particularly care that much about the bonus tracks on Ballads and Coltrane, but the ones on Love Supreme include the whole album played live. Great stuff. I'm still keeping the box, though.

I'll keep an eye out for the Wes riverside stuff. I love that material, what I've heard (and have) of it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Christian set. I was eyeing that the other week. Though I never ever toss packaging. I just make CD-Rs when I need music on the go.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned some of my favorite sets so far:

• The complete LESTER YOUNG studio sessions on Verve :wub:
  • The complete BUD POWELL on Verve
  • STAN GETZ - The complete Roost recordings (I mean the BN 3CD box!)
  • LENNIE TRISTANO - Intuition (Proper - you'll get a lot of Tristano's leader sessions with this superb box)
  • LEE MORGAN - Live at the Lighthouse (BN 3CD set)

:excited:

:tup I second the Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk suggestion.

Absolutely! I'm surprised that this never appeared as a box, particularly in Japan -- how often do you find a vol. 1 through vol. 5 collection that's only appeared as separates? Well, I suppose the Bud Powells.....4 vols., right? .

You mean the Powell Blue Note & Roost box? I think that's 6 CDs in all (the individual titles)... the Manne Blackhawks btw are indeed great, esp. for Joe Gordon fans. :tup