LF: Dakota Staton

I have to admit I am not the biggest Jazz Vocal fan. But I listened to The Late Late Show by Dakota Staton last night (a late xmas gift), and was enthralled by her voice. I haven't heard a voice quite like hers, though one could say there's a dab of Dinah Washington and some Ella mixed in, but it is different. So, after looking online, with the exception of two Capitol albums reissued by Collectables (both reportedly to have horrendous sound), an import two fer, and the Storyville date, that's pretty much it for reissues from that early period. Does anyone have her work on Capitol and on United Artists? Please PM me.

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

E-mail reply from Mosaic today:

Just found out that Collectables is about to issue all the Staton Capitols as 2 LPs on 1 CD so that kills that.

At least they'll be available, though I would've rather gotten them through a Mosaic set. Given Collectables' rep for bad sound, are any of the Capitols out as imports?

Edited by ghost of miles

Just found out that Collectables is about to issue all the Staton Capitols as 2 LPs on 1 CD so that kills that.

At least they'll be available, though I would've rather gotten them through a Mosaic set. Given Collectables' rep for bad sound, are any of the Capitols out as imports?

• 2 weeks later...

If they come out on Collectables, they will be manufactured by CEMA - the licensing branch of Capitol/EMI - they will probably sound OK. Collectables doesn't manufacture them, just licenses from the majors and markets them

Collectables has had 3 Dakota Lps out for some time - - The Late Late Show (released in fake stereo "Duophonic" - thus the comments on bad sound), More Than The Most (True Stereo) and Dakota at Storyville (True Stereo).

The "Storyville" album and the "More Than The Most" sound fine to me - I would much prefer Mosaic to do them as they would include all the non Lp singles (of which there were many)

• 3 years later...