Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm right up the road from you so I hope this means mine are here today as well. I'm off work early and I might have a few good hours to listen!!

Good luck with that.

I like your signature line. That's pretty funny.

I broke down and bought the Gigolo a while back and finally understood what all the fuss was about. Great song, great album!

You honestly think in this country right now that no one would be offended by this title??

Truthfully, I can't imagine anyone batting an eyelash.

Well, guess I screwed up on that one.

The Ethiopian computer tech I've dealt with for years just swung by the house a few minutes ago to fix something and I had Basra playing in the backround. He commented favorably and I then proceeded to briefly walk through the mini-brouhaha taking place over the title. Without hesitation, he said that the artist was probably making the correct choice at this time. The fact that it was a mere re-issue of a 40-year-old LP didn't matter......'not a good idea', he said. :huh:

I've never heard Basra and was pretty excited about it coming out. In this case, I decided to get the EU version. Really I'm not planning on making thousands of copies anyway. I'm confident I've got at least one player that will play it correctly, I'll pipe in into my computer to make some MP3s to take to work and that will be the end of it.

I do think it is irresponsible of EMI to make the change this late into the process, since ultimately it means less money they can spend on the next batch of reissues (either pressing them or advertising them). It would have been a different story if the artist had decided on a name change six months ago.

I do think it is irresponsible of EMI to make the change this late into the process, since ultimately it means less money they can spend on the next batch of reissues (either pressing them or advertising them). It would have been a different story if the artist had decided on a name change six months ago.

That's my beef. It's typical wonderful Blue Note quality control. Why was this not hashed out a long long time ago? Presumably the CDs and covers have been already printed, right? Now they have to scrap everything.

I wonder how much La Roca even knew about the city of Basra when he made the record. What if he just picked the name of a random Middle Eastern city since it evoked the same vibe as the tune?

Amazon UK has copies online for sale!

Interesting little ripple effect that this is having. I added a copy to the Amazon Japan shopping cart yesterday (@ 1,500 Yen) and then left the cart sitting there 'open' overnight. This afternoon, when I went back to it and clicked 'refresh', a message popped up informing me that there had been a price change since the item was placed in the cart the previous day. It's now 1,600 Yen. Another reason not to leave a shopping cart 'open'. <_<

I think it’s great that True Blue was reissued. I have the connoisseur but I haven’t bought the RVG yet. Has anyone here compared the two?

I noticed that amazon UK has listed a True Blue released on 2/14 for #6.99 and another that was released on 2/15 for #10.99 that says import. The ASIN number for the import is the same as the one listed on amazon USA. Are the CD’s not the same? And why would someone pay so much more for that import?