CROSS SECTION SAXES

DrJ

In a 24 bit Japanese paper sleeve edition, now in at Dusty Groove (Da Bastads), I just ordered my copy...I've become a McKusick nut, and couldn't live without the 2 tracks omitted from the U.S. NOW'S THE TIME "compilation."

Can't wait...

Edited by DrJ

A discographically half-baked entry (haven't yet checked the original LP, nor do I own the new CD).

Date: March 25, 1958

Label: Decca

Hal McKusick (ldr), Hal McKusick (bcl, as), Art Farmer (t), Bill Evans (p), Paul Chambers (b), Connie Kay (d), Jimmy Giuffre (arr)

a. 104634 Sing Song (Jimmy Giuffre)

b. 104635 It Never Entered My Mind - 03:49 (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)

GRP/Decca CD: GRD-651 - Now's The Time (1957-58) (1995)

c. 104636 Yesterdays (Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach)

Additional unknown title (104637).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: March 28, 1958

Hal McKusick (ldr), Hal McKusick, Frank Socolow (as), Dick Hafer (ts), Jay Cameron (bar), Bill Evans (p), Paul Chambers (b), Connie Kay (d), George Handy, Ernie Wilkins (arr)

a. 104638 LaRue [aka Tribute To Brownie] - 04:12 (Clifford Brown, Duke Pearson, Nat Adderley)

b. 104639 Now's The Time - 06:11 (Charlie Parker)

c. 104640 Whisper Not - 03:19 (Benny Golson)

d. 104641 The Last Day Of Fall - 03:28 (George Handy)

All titles on: - GRP/Decca CD: GRD-651 - Now's The Time (1957-58) (1995)

Omit George Handy (arr) on a, b. Omit Ernie Wilkins (arr) on c, d.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: April 7, 1958

Hal McKusick (ldr), Hal McKusick (cl, as), Art Farmer (t), Barry Galbraith (g), Bill Evans (p), Milt Hinton (b), Charli Persip (d), George Russell (arr)

a. 104642 Stratusphunk - 06:29 (George Russell)

b. 104643 The End Of A Love Affair - 04:41 (Edward. C. Redding)

c. 104644 You're My Thrill - 04:05 (Sidney Clare, Jay Gorney)

All titles on: - GRP/Decca CD: GRD-651 - Now's The Time (1957-58) (1995)

All of the above tracks were on Cross Section Saxes except the unknown title.

Mike

So, what's the deal on this one? Tunes, arrangers, players, etc.

Can't say that I've yet developed a taste for him as aplyer, but his "surroundings" were often quite interesting...

Michael Fitzgerald already provided the data...

You're in for a treat! This one is MAGNIFIQUE!

Discovered the date on a French MCA vinyl reissue. Later switched to a Japanese Decca reissue which has the best sound so far.

Surprised that you still have to really get into McKusick. One of the most individual voices of the 50s and 60s. I rank him right next to Lee Konitz. At the top!

His 'Jazz Workshop' RCA album is one of the two best of the series with the George Russell.

And his quartet date on Bethlehem with Barry Galbraith is another stunner.

So, what's the deal on this one? Tunes, arrangers, players, etc.

Can't say that I've yet developed a taste for him as aplyer, but his "surroundings" were often quite interesting...

Michael Fitzgerald already provided the data...

You're in for a treat! This one is MAGNIFIQUE!

Discovered the date on a French MCA vinyl reissue. Later switched to a Japanese Decca reissue which has the best sound so far.

Surprised that you still have to really get into McKusick. One of the most individual voices of the 50s and 60s. I rank him right next to Lee Konitz. At the top!

His 'Jazz Workshop' RCA album is one of the two best of the series with the George Russell.

And his quartet date on Bethlehem with Barry Galbraith is another stunner.

That's good to know as I've ordered this and his "Jazz Academy" CD from Mr Tanno. Good choices?

as I've ordered this and his "Jazz Academy" CD

When you get your copy, you'll notice that on "These Foolish Things" you can quite clearly hear the next sequence of notes under the regular sound. As relayed to me by another board member, the current speculation is that this is tape print and that the tape was probably wound too tight for too long.

as I've ordered this and his "Jazz Academy" CD

When you get your copy, you'll notice that on "These Foolish Things" you can quite clearly hear the next sequence of notes under the regular sound. As relayed to me by another board member, the current speculation is that this is tape print and that the tape was probably wound too tight for too long.

I have the Japan Coral/MCA vinyl reissue (1995) of this and cannot hear that on the copy. What bothers me on the album is the added audience participation. The dated sounds like itwas recorded in a studio.

Clunky, this one is really good too. George Russell also arranged six of the ten selections.

Must say I've been a McKusick fan for some time now. I really like that chamber jazz concept. One I've been enjoying for a long time is his "Quartet", also known as East Coast Jazz Nr. 8 on Bethlehem. It's a really stripped down session with a bare bones approach but with very lyrical playing and great guitar and alto.

I'm not sure it's the quartet side with Barry Galbraith mentioned earlier in the thread. It must be, unless there's another session with that formation. And it's being (or been) reissued in Japan these days. Very recommendable. I pick up everything I can in that eastern chamber jazz vein.

I'm not sure it's the quartet side with Barry Galbraith mentioned earlier in the thread. It must be, unless there's another session with that formation. And it's being (or been) reissued in Japan these days. Very recommendable. I pick up everything I can in that eastern chamber jazz vein.

It is.

The McKusick quartet (with Galbraith, Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson) recorded that Bethlehem date plus the Coral 'Jazz At The Academy' album.

Both very recommended, indeed!

It is.

The McKusick quartet (with Galbraith, Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson) recorded that Bethlehem date plus the Coral 'Jazz At The Academy' album.

Both very recommended, indeed!

I have both.

They're both excellent.

The live applause is kind of weird on the live Coral set.

• 3 months later...

Glad you found NOW'S THE TIME David, it's a good one. Sonics aren't too bad either, but having A/B'd that disc with the tracks also on the new Japanese CROSS SECTION SAXES CD, this is one case where I do prefer the import (and usually I feel Japanese CDs are seriously over-valued and U.S. versions seriously under-valued around here). Not a huge difference, but much warmer and natural sounding, less harsh on the high end.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I spend the money needlessly, can someone tell me if the new Japanese "Cross Section Saxes" is in stereo? The original LP was stereo, but when Orrin Keepnews reissued it, not only did he leave out those tracks, (with the excuse that he didn't have room, even though the CD is only 61 minutes long) but he used a mono master. Why?

This print through is caused by poor storage procedures - if you store tape "tails out" then you'll get an echo - not the pre-echo you describe, which is probably more objectionable. So be kind - don't rewind.

Mike

IIRC, this plagues the Jimmy Giuffre re-issue of Free Fall as well.