Jazz in Paris

Late

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were going to start exploring this series (I currently only own two discs: a Blakey and a Byrd) which discs should be at the top of the list? Keeping in mind I can in no way, shape or form afford to buy too many of these.

I'm still interested in seeing people's top choices but, after doing a search, I've already gone ahead and placed an order for ten discs. Less than $6 a disc, shipping included, Thanks for posting this!

Edited by John B

I'm guessing that the price reduction is due to ... these discs being on their way out? At any rate, of the many discs in this series, my favorites are the Don Byas discs (romantic; beautiful), and the Lucky Thompson discs. The Andre Hodeir discs are interesting, but probably not to everyone's tastes. Check out sound samples at amazon.fr — just plug in "collection jazz in paris," and you should get them all ...

Also, check out the "Jazz et Cinema" discs, particularly the one with Kenny Dorham ...

I'm guessing that the price reduction is due to ... these discs being on their way out? At any rate, of the many discs in this series, my favorites are the Don Byas discs (romantic; beautiful), and the Lucky Thompson discs. The Andre Hodeir discs are interesting, but probably not to everyone's tastes. Check out sound samples at amazon.fr — just plug in "collection jazz in paris," and you should get them all ...

Also, check out the "Jazz et Cinema" discs, particularly the one with Kenny Dorham ...

I was going to ask about those Lucky Thompson albums. You just answered my question... :o:excited::g

All those Bobby Jaspar, Rene Thomas, Sacha Distel, Bernard Peiffer, Django Reinhardt, Rene Urtreger are worth getting also. Plus numerous others.

One of the best jazz reissues series produced. Good sound, good cover designs, good researching. And the prices are good too...

And the new DeLuxe Edition series boxes (four of them) are also splendidly designed.

The Bernard Pfeiffers were a revelation to me.

Lon, Pfeiffer is Michelle (among others).

The musician was Bernard Peiffer

Great, forgotten pianist. The LPs he recorded for Decca when he exiled himself to the United States are hard to get but well worth the search. Don't think they were ever reissued!

The title that was the biggest surprise for me was: Bernard Peiffer-Bernard Zacharias: Modern Jazz At Saint Germain Des Pres. Very light-hearted, humorous playing, though not at all slapstick or roll-your-eyes over-the-top. The only title I've been disappointed with (mind you I only have 14 titles from this series) and sold back was the Michel Legrand ... too sacharine for me. The Blue Stars titles will definitely not be to everyone's taste, but I like them when in the mood for that sort of thing.

Those bastards, indeed! I looked for these CDs at their website last weekend, but they only had a few. So, I opted to use Half.com promotion to grab five from this series. I would have bought more if I could get them at that price from DG. Well, not over-speding was a good thing. Maybe they are not bastards...

Alright already ... tell us which ones you ordered!

I haven't ordered any ... yet.

:ph34r:

I bought these:

37503j Art Blakey/Georges Arvanitas/JATP CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Jazz Et Cinema Vol 2 -- Des Femmes Disparaissent/Les Tricheurs/La Bride Sur Le Cou

53836j Don Byas _________________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- En Ce Temps-la

37457j Don Byas _________________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Laura

37458j Donald Byrd ______________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Byrd In Paris

37462j Donald Byrd ______________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Parisian Thoroughfare

52558j Lucky Thompson ___________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Lucky Thompson With Dave Pochonet All Stars

37499j Lucky Thompson ___________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Modern Jazz Group

37500j Barney Wilen _____________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Jazz Sur Seine

37502j Barney Wilen/Alain Gouraguer _____ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Jazz Et Cinema Vol 1 -- Un Temoin Dans La Ville/J'irai Cracher Sur Vos Tombes

Excited to hear Simmons/Bright and Goraguer!!

Gerard Badini ____________________ CD 4.99 1 4.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- The Swing Machine

53840j Stan Getz Quartet ________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Stan Getz In Paris

51611j Alain Goraguer ___________________ CD 4.99 1 4.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Go Go Goraguer

38524j Michel Legrand ___________________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Paris Jazz Piano

45034j Art Simmons/Ronnel Bright ________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Piano Aux Champs Elysees

37494j Zoot Sims & Henri Renaud _________ CD 5.99 1 5.99

--- Jazz In Paris -- Zoot Sims Et Henri Renaud