great deal on jazz in paris series

skeith

No kidding

there is a guy standing on the sidewalk at 6th avenue and 22nd street in Manhattan selling these right now for $5.00 a piece out of a large cardboard box sitting on a fold up card table and he has a lot of titles. They are sealed copies!

I did not buy one, but looked closely at them and they look real to me.

I am not associated in any way with this deal.

Edited by skeith

He was last seen running towards Central Park with some Tactical Unit officers close behind ^_^

Seriously, what are the chances of this stuff being legally obtained and legally sold?

Also, as there is often talk on this board about artist's getting what they are owed from their recordings, do you think any of the $$ this guy gets is going back to the artists or their estates?

Hell, I love a bargain too, but from experience, I know that stuff like this sold on the street is often stolen (usually working in conjunction with a shoplifting team or dishonest store employees). And there is always the choice (slim I admit) that you can get caught up in a stolen property bust, as the cops will surveill these vendors before making a bust.

At one point a giant French Hypermarket here in Houston (now closed!) was selling these for $4.98 .... I loaded up on them at the time. As I recall, the price in Europe at the time of the first edition, based upon the current value of the U.S. dollar was equivalent to about $8.00 ... One friend in New Zealand(!!!) sent me copies (the rare Chet Baker etc.) that he had purchased there for the equivalent of about $4.00! I guess that there is quite a lot of dumping going on ... I wonder what the size of the production run was?

Garth.

I guess that there is quite a lot of dumping going on ... I wonder what the size of the production run was?

very, very large.

i'm just back from europe (france/germany/austria/spain) and these titles are available everywhere at prices ranging from 4 - 7 euros. owning the box, i was curious if broken wing and other regarded titles from the first 75 were still available. seems as if they were...

-e-

Of the 35 JIP titles they carry, Dusty ONLY HAS TWO presently in stock.  Maybe those DG Chicago boys need to make a 'buying trip' to the sidewalks of NYC.

They do have one of the big 75 CD Jazz in Paris boxes in store, or at least they did a couple weeks ago. They never did get the follow-up box though.

I did manage to track down Broken Wing, but not in a regular store ... and not on the streets of NYC either.

I drove by 6th and w22nd today. The dude is still there. He also has dvds. I asked the wife if we could stop [having just come out from the semi-annual ARC cd/lp sale on White Street], but she gave me that ray look, so we proceeded to the Met, as planned. Gilbert Stuart exhibition is not to be missed..