Art Farmer

Late

Art Farmer had a beautiful, beautiful tone. His solos seem to float above the music. I've tried to analyze how his solos relate to the underlying tune, because what he plays almost seems to be an aside, but I can't; his music just makes me happy.

The first album that always comes to mind is Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin'." Listen to that tone! Even though he's playing a trumpet, it has the roundness and limpidness of a flugelhorn. His solo on "Deep Night" displays such a light swing yet deep rhythmic prowess. And the pairing of him and Jackie McLean...wonderful.

How about "Bennie Green (with Art Farmer)" (Prestige). Art, in his sly way, steals the date. Listen to the back-and-forth between Art and Bennie on "Let's Stretch."

I second (or third) the recommendations of "Big Blues," "To Sweden With Love," and "The Summer Knows."

I saw him in concert once, about two years before he passed. It was at the Miller Theater at Columbia University, must have been 1992 or 1993. It was nice, although the concert format was a bit sterile (would have preferred to have heard him in a club...the audience was a bit too polite at the concert). And I remember his everpresent cigarette.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody heard the 60s Sextet session that was just released on Lonehill? It looks like a great lineup.

That one is a reissue of the Scepter album by the New York Jazz Sextet. But they included both the stereo then the mono versions, all recorded at the same December 1965/January 1966 dates. Very lovely sessions. But with very little differences between the mono and stereo versions.

They also added a bossa nova version of 'Giant Steps' performed by James Moody on flute, Patti Bown, Reggie Workman and Tootie Heath with vocalese by one Maria Volpea. Also in mono and stereo versions.

• 3 years later...

I

Also with so many albums from CTI being reissued still wonder why the Art Farmer 'Live in Tokyo' that came out in Japan never left that country. Very good album with Jackie McLean, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins.

I too have been waiting for a long long time to see this one re-issued on CD.

I just picked up Mosaic's release entitled "The Time and the Place". When I heard that they were going to reissue this, I wondered if they were aware that the original Columbia LP was a studio recording with fake applause dubbed in. The concert had taken place at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Columbia recorded the show, but for whatever reason, they decided not to issue the live recording, and had the band come into the studio a few months later to "recreate" the concert. The result was a fine LP, even with the sonic deception. I had the pleasure of seeing this group twice back in the 1960's, so the record has always been a favorite.

Well, this "reissue" is not the original LP at all - it is the live recording that has been sitting in the vaults all these years. Like many live recordings, there are a few warts, but the music is wonderful, and I highly recommend it. The band is Art Farmer, Jimmy Heath, Albert Dailey, Walter Booker, and Mickey Roker. By the time the band recorded the originally issued LP, Dailey had been replaced by Cedar Walton, so this new release is especially valuable.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1010

I just picked up Mosaic's release entitled "The Time and the Place". When I heard that they were going to reissue this, I wondered if they were aware that the original Columbia LP was a studio recording with fake applause dubbed in. The concert had taken place at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Columbia recorded the show, but for whatever reason, they decided not to issue the live recording, and had the band come into the studio a few months later to "recreate" the concert. The result was a fine LP, even with the sonic deception. I had the pleasure of seeing this group twice back in the 1960's, so the record has always been a favorite.

Well, this "reissue" is not the original LP at all - it is the live recording that has been sitting in the vaults all these years. Like many live recordings, there are a few warts, but the music is wonderful, and I highly recommend it. The band is Art Farmer, Jimmy Heath, Albert Dailey, Walter Booker, and Mickey Roker. By the time the band recorded the originally issued LP, Dailey had been replaced by Cedar Walton, so this new release is especially valuable.

I've got the original non live album on lp and I've always really liked it. I was surprised to find out through this Mosaic release that it wasn't live. The "new" one is on my short list to buy. Being a big fan of Art Farmer, I knew it would probably be a good one. I'm glad to hear some confirmation.

Jack,

I have a copy of "The Time and The Place" on a Collectables CD. Art Farmer's "Baroque Sketches" is also on that same Collectables CD.

I am assuming that what I have is an exact reissue of the Columbia Lp of "The Time and The Place" ?

Can you clarify that for me?

Jack,

I have a copy of "The Time and The Place" on a Collectables CD. Art Farmer's "Baroque Sketches" is also on that same Collectables CD.

I am assuming that what I have is an exact reissue of the Columbia Lp of "The Time and The Place" ?

Can you clarify that for me?

Collectables usually reissues the original LP as it was - I don't know of any instances where they have done any remastering or altering in any way, so I assume that the Collectables CD includes the fake applause. As I'm sure you know, sometimes when they put two albums on one CD, they are forced to drop a track or two. The LP had 7 tracks: The Time and the Place, The Shadow Of Your Smile, One For Juan, Nino's Scene, Short Cake, Make Someone Happy, On the Trail.

• 5 years later...

How is HOMECOMING? Recorded 1971, with Jimmy Heath, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins, and a conga player (James Forman-Mtume) and extra percussionist (Warren Smith). Also, any recs re: the recent Soul Note box-set?

Aside the (at least to me) a little bit irritating Conga+Percussion players on some of the tracks and the rather short playing time, this is an excellent Art Farmer recording of that period.

My favorite Farmer quartet date (nice painting of him on the cover, too):

Art Farmer Quartet Art Farmer (trumpet) Tommy Flanagan (piano) Tommy Williams (bass) Albert Heath (drums)
Nola's Penthouse Sound Studios, NYC, September 21, 22 & 23, 1960 (Argo 678)

I'm A Fool To Want You

Out Of The Past

That Old Devil Called Love

The Best Thing For You Is Me

So Beats My Heart For You

Goodbye, Old Girl

Younger Than Springtime

Who Cares

Very tasty choice of standards, plus Golson's "Out of the Past."

My favorite Farmer quartet date (nice painting of him on the cover, too):

Art Farmer Quartet Art Farmer (trumpet) Tommy Flanagan (piano) Tommy Williams (bass) Albert Heath (drums)
Nola's Penthouse Sound Studios, NYC, September 21, 22 & 23, 1960 (Argo 678)

I'm A Fool To Want You

Out Of The Past

That Old Devil Called Love

The Best Thing For You Is Me

So Beats My Heart For You

Goodbye, Old Girl

Younger Than Springtime

Who Cares

Very tasty choice of standards, plus Golson's "Out of the Past."

Yet another reason for getting the Mosaic boxset........ :tup

• 1 year later...
On December 13, 2004 at 11:24 AM, brownie said:

That one is a reissue of the Scepter album by the New York Jazz Sextet. But they included both the stereo then the mono versions, all recorded at the same December 1965/January 1966 dates. Very lovely sessions. But with very little differences between the mono and stereo versions.

They also added a bossa nova version of 'Giant Steps' performed by James Moody on flute, Patti Bown, Reggie Workman and Tootie Heath with vocalese by one Maria Volpea. Also in mono and stereo versions.

I recently found a used copy of the mono version of the LP.  Very interesting stuff.  Very composed, nice arrangements.  Almost like the second coming of the Jazztet, with Farmer, Tom McIntosh and James Moody handling the front line, and a rhythm section of Tommy Flanagan, Richard Davis and Tootie Heath.  Would love to have accurate discographical information, since one track (Giant Steps) is from a different session, with Patti Bown and Reggie Workman replacing Flanagan and Davis.  Would also like to know more about this group: was it intended as a real group, or a one-time thing with a group name to allow Farmer to record despite his Atlantic contract?

New_York_Jazz_Sextet_Group_Therapy.jpg