Cut-and-paste copyright infringement ...

And "Friends" is free, right?

No...

To fine-tune a bit...

Of course "Friends" isn't free, not to people who broadcast it to the public. They gotsta pay the band, doncha' know. And they gotsta try and recoupe de ville.

Nevertheless...

Cutting from a free site and pasting it in someplace like this, a forum whose purpose is entirely social/recreational/whatever would be like videotaping an episode of "Friends", inviting some friends over to watch it, and skipping the commercials. Anybody's got a problem with that needs some Ex-Lax for the mind.

Now, cutting and pasting from one for-profit (or even not-for-profit "sponsored") site to another, that's a different animal altogether (and deus' exposition of the real issues involved has opened my eyes a bit). I'd give some slack to doing it with a fully-credited (including link) excerpt, but beyond that, the least you could do, I'd think, would be to attempt to obtain the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Wasn't the original post specifically about the ethics of inviting friends over to watch the videotape with the skipped commercials? In that specific context, I'd think that providing a link and full accreditation would be more than sufficient. If the primary intent of the original content was to "serve" the public, then the public is being served. If the primary intent is to earn a return, treat it as such. Ban videotapes and VCRs, or Tivo, or whatevr it is the kids are doing thee days.

Now, when this board gets all plastered up with ads inviting me to track down people I went to high school with (a dangerous proposition for all concerned in my case...) and such, then I'll reconsider. As it stands now, beer's in the fridge. Help yourself.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic