Woman Runs Down Teens In Her SUV

Police: Woman Charged With Attempted Murder After Hitting Teens

POSTED: 9:13 pm EST December 5, 2004

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A St Augustine woman is charged with attempted murder after she allegedly ran down two brothers and tried to hit a third brother after a seemingly harmless incident with a golf ball Sunday afternoon.

According to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, Isiah Grayer, 14, and 16-year-old twins Justin and Jamel Marshman, were bouncing a golf ball in a parking lot on State Road 16 about 2:45 p.m. when it got away from them and hit an SUV owned by Kathy Allen, 47.

According to authorities, there were no damage to the Chevrolet Blazer, but the brothers went over to apologize, then turned to walk away.

According to witnesses, Allen started driving to the other side of the parking lot, then accelerated towards the boys.

"She did a purposeful U-turn and started to accelerate toward the boys," St. Johns County Deputy Ricky Domingo said.

Police said she driving over several curbs and through the landscaping to hit two of the boys and knocked down a light pole. Police said she then turned her SUV towards the third teenager, but the vehicle got stuck in drainage ditch and the third boy was able to run away.

"It's one of the most cold, calculated things I've ever seen in my entire life," witness Russell McPee said.

Grayer was flown to Shands-Jacksonville Medical Center, where he was reported in critical condition with head injuries. Justin Marshman is at Flagler Hospital in good condition. Whitley was not injured.

Along with witness statements, investigators found acceleration marks on the road.

Allen was questioned, then arrested and charged with attempted murder. She'll appear before a St. Johns County judge Monday morning.

Well, it doesn't, necessarily. But maybe it does.

I would think that it would be a goal of "justice" in this instance to accurately determine if it did or if it didn't. If it didn't, if the woman is just a nutcase, fine. Entirely possible. But if it did, then surely this qualifies as a hate crime and must be prosecuted as such.

Why suspect this in the first place? Simply because of the racial difference? No. White folks and black folks can have "alteracations" that are not necessarily racially motivated. Because it's in Florida? No. There's wackos and wingnuts everywhere. Because of other racial tensions currently brewing in this area? Possibly - the video after this one dealt with some. But if this happened in a totally tension-free community, I'd say look into it anyway.

Why? Simply because it's too bizarre an occurance to leave any possibility of motivation uninvestigated, and therefore unresolved. It's in the interest of the community as a whole for this aspect to be fully investigated and honestly revealed, because if the one boy dies and the possibility that this was indeed a racially motivated act is not even looked into...

The truth hurts sometimes, but the suspicion of a lie hurts more.

Here in southern Indiana yesterday, a woman stuck in traffic got out of her vehicle and started shooting into the minivan directly behind her. The woman in the minivan ran away and fortunately was shot only in the buttocks. No reason ascertained yet as to why the incident occurred... Happy holidays! :blink:

long live NRA! :wacko:

Here in southern Indiana yesterday, a woman stuck in traffic got out of her vehicle and started shooting into the minivan directly behind her.  The woman in the minivan ran away and fortunately was shot only in the buttocks.  No reason ascertained yet as to why the incident occurred... Happy holidays!  :blink:

You can kill someone with a car as well....

Here in southern Indiana yesterday, a woman stuck in traffic got out of her vehicle and started shooting into the minivan directly behind her.  The woman in the minivan ran away and fortunately was shot only in the buttocks.  No reason ascertained yet as to why the incident occurred... Happy holidays!   :blink:

You can kill someone with a car as well....

sure, long live suvs! :wacko:

• 1 year later...

What a horrible story. What appalled me is this statement from the article:

"She's a wonderful person. She's a good, church-going person," Allen's mother, Betty Newell, said Monday. "She probably was trying to get out of there and didn't know which way to go. She might have got confused."

Wow, I wonder what church that is!

What a horrible story. What appalled me is this statement from the article:

"She's a wonderful person. She's a good, church-going person," Allen's mother, Betty Newell, said Monday.

Gad, I'm so sick of that... and I'm a so-called "person of faith" myself (a phrase that really sets off the ol' barf-o-meter these days). But I'm sorry, that doesn't make you any better or any worse than anybody else.