It aint Christmas till...

scottb

I have my Pralines and Egg nog ( not usually together )

By the way, these are PACON PRAW-LEENS not PEE-CAN PRAY-LEENS as the recipe comes from NAWLINS not NEW OR-LEENS

Actually the way I say New Orleans cannot accurrately be represented by our alphabet. I'm from south Louisiana but not from New Orleans and not a Cajun, Creole, Coon Ass or Yat. Although most people are suprised by my lack of an accent (aside from the slow rate of speech characteristic of the deep south (no, I didn't say I have a drawl, I just pace myself.) we do have our own way of saying New Orleans. This pronunciation is generally excepted as correct, even in N.O. (unlike NEW ORLEENS or NEW OR LEE ANS) but is different from the pronunciation of the N.O. native out of respect. Nobody can say Nawlin's like a native and to attempt it only makes you look foolish.

In summary:

NEW OR-LEENS Webster

NEW OR-LEE-ANS Yankee

NWAW-LINS South Louisiana (non New Orleans)

NAH-LINS N.O. native (please do not attempt to even read this one aloud. Just imagine what it might sound like.)

Edited by scottb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Scott, you obviously think the same way as me. I was just about to post that Xmas begins with arriving back from Tesco and opening the yuletide bottle of Advocaat... :) Which is precisely what I did last Monday evening.

This was followed by the thoroughly modern phenomena of ordering gifts online.

This is one of the thing I chose (at a bargain price, I must add)

... until a complete stranger decides to go "shopping" at your house or that of someone you know. In my case, Sunday afternoon after we went to lunch... they were in the house within 30 minutes of our departure which is spookier than the actual break in. Sorry for the bitterness.

On the good side, no one was hurt, they didn't get away with much as our neighbor's saw the broken window and called the police, and they didn't trash the place. Only thing lost was the video tape in our camcorder of my son from 2 years to date (about 7 months of footage). Oh, and I get my choice of new laptop :-)

It ain’t Christmas ‘til I dig out the cheesy Christmas music that I’ve loved all my life! I need to get a turntable again so I can transfer my mom’s old Columbia Special Products Christmas LPs that she got at Goodyear onto CD.

But for now, these will more than suffice:

f69313cmauf.jpg

c53866t196j.jpg

c631280y928.jpg

lie detector?

Then Christmas will never come. :(:(:(:(:(

Jim, Stop whining about that old board game and maybe we'll chip in and get you a pair of these stylish lie detector goggles. This has some relevance to an

X-mas thread 'cause soon enough we'll all have to start practicing up on our best version of 'Hey thanks cousin Ernie!! I've been dying to pick this cd up for the longest time!! :excited:

Go to bed, Scott.

Thanks for the intervention Jim.

I awoke this morning and said "Oh my God, what did I type last night?" :o

Luckily, nothing offensive or too embarassing. I was truly in a zone, walking that fine line of exhaustion :blink: and mania :excited:

I feel much better now after a few hours sleep. I just had a thought that maybe I should try some creative writing or even guitar playing in that state. I wonder what it might produce.