The Chess Thread! (not the record label!!!)

As I sit here and type, I am waiting for the arrival of my chess student who comes down from Troy, Michigan every two weeks for chess lessons.

If you wanna really help hone that kids tactical skills give him a quick pre-lesson tour of the political forum and we'll let Ghost, Chris & Groper shatter his rook, pulverize his knight & pilfer his bishop's pockets in no time flat....a helpful lesson he'll never forget. :g

I believe you have me mistaken for another, sir. I spurn that forum--spurn it for the viper's nest that it is! ;)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I sit here and type, I am waiting for the arrival of my chess student who comes down from Troy, Michigan every two weeks for chess lessons.

If you wanna really help hone that kids tactical skills give him a quick pre-lesson tour of the political forum and we'll let Ghost, Chris & Groper shatter his rook, pulverize his knight & pilfer his bishop's pockets in no time flat....a helpful lesson he'll never forget. :g

I believe you have me mistaken for another, sir. I spurn that forum--spurn it for the viper's nest that it is! ;)

:lol:

some great chessbabes as well.  Take note Bright Moments!

;)

Girls were a rarity when I played during junior-high... I remember a regional tournament where a team with a girl player showed up, and everybody was oooing and ahhing as if she were some sort of exotic specimen. I imagine that's changed by now, but in the late 1970s--in Indiana, anyway--it was an overwhelmingly male arena of competition.

US Woman's Olympic team which took home a Silver medal.

Top three boards were born abroad, but they're all Americans now. I know Anna Zatonskih of Bowling Green, Ohio personally. Even played chess with her in her apartment. Her husband's a great dude. Irina Krush has a boyfriend... <_<

http://www.chessbase.com/eventarticle.asp?newsid=1953

I'll take away her little fluffy stuffed puppy for the day....that'll teach her to get uppity w/me!!!!

Better yet, if you're looking to scare up some extra bucks for that Farlow Mosaic or those Decca Jazz Studio CDs that Universal Japan is putting out in Dec., how about getting her out there on the chess-hustler circuit? It's time she started earning her keep... you gotta instill that work ethic early! kgo_029.gif

Edited by ghost of miles

• 3 weeks later...

In the spirit of the serial-trombone-killer thread going on in the Musicians' Forum, I offer this shocking news report!

Doctors are blaming a rare electrical imbalance in the brain for the bizarre death of a chess player whose head literally exploded in the middle of a championship game!

No one else was hurt in the fatal explosion but four players and three officials at the Moscow Candidate Masters' Chess Championships were sprayed with blood and brain matter when Nikolai Titov's head suddenly blew apart. Experts say he suffered from a condition called Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis or HCE.

"He was deep in concentration with his eyes focused on the board," says Titov's opponent, Vladimir Dobrynin. "All of a sudden his hands flew to his temples and he screamed in pain. Everyone looked up from their games, startled by the noise. Then, as if someone had put a bomb in his cranium, his head popped like a firecracker."

Incredibly, Titiov's is not the first case in which a person's head has spontaneously exploded. Five people are known to have died of HCE in the last 25 years. The most recent death occurred just three years ago in 1991, when European psychic Barbara Nicole's skull burst. Miss Nicole's story was reported by newspapers worldwide, including WWN. "HCE is an extremely rare physical imbalance," said Dr. Anatoly Martinenko, famed neurologist and expert on the human brain who did the autopsy on the brilliant chess expert. "It is a condition in which the circuits of the brain become overloaded by the body's own electricity. The explosions happen during periods of intense mental activity when lots of current is surging through the brain. Victims are highly intelligent people with great powers of concentration. Both Miss Nicole and Mr. Titov were intense people who tended to keep those cerebral circuits overloaded. In a way it could be said they were literally too smart for their own good."

Although Dr. Martinenko says there are probably many undiagnosed cases, he hastens to add that very few people will die from HCE. "Most people who have it will never know. At this point, medical science still doesn't know much about HCE. And since fatalities are so rare it will probably be years before research money becomes available."

In the meantime, the doctor urges people to take it easy and not think too hard for long periods of time. "Take frequent relaxation breaks when you're doing things that take lots of mental focus," he recommends.

I read it on the Internet! :o:D

Then there's this poor sap... sounds as if he needed more mental activity!

BOSSES of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no-one noticed that one of their employees had been sitting dead at his desk for FIVE DAYS before anyone asked if he was feeling okay.

George Turklebaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared with 23 other workers.

He quietly passed away on Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an office cleaner asked why he was still working during the weekend.

His boss Elliot Wachiaski said: 'George was always the first guy in each morning and the last to leave at night - so no-one found it unusual that he was in the same position all that time and didn't say anything.

'He was always absorbed in his work and kept much to himself.'

A post mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. Ironically, George was proof-reading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vladimir Kramnik (full of surprises will be the champ) :tup

Remember Kramnik surprised Kasparov with C67, so what will there

be surprises as black with Tapalov, of course.

See these simultaneous games at ICC. (I think four (>) checkmates for Vladimir)

http://www.chessclub.com/help/KramnikSimul

and it would be cool if he picked Alexander Morozevich as a second.

Tough match, but I'd rate Topalov a slight favorite based on rating and recent results.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Chess champ Bobby Fischer dead

ASSOCIATED PRESS

REYKJAVIK, Iceland - Bobby Fischer, the reclusive chess master who became a Cold War icon when he dethroned the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky as world champion in 1972, has died. He was 64.

Fischer died Thursday in a Reykjavik hospital, his spokesman Gardar Sverrisson said. There was no immediate word on the cause of death.

Fischer, born in Chicago and raised in Brooklyn, was a fierce critic of the United States. He renounced his American citizenship and moved to Iceland in 2005.

He was wanted in the United States for playing a 1992 rematch against Spassky in Yugoslavia in defiance of international sanctions.