Any J. Bruce, G. Baker fan/expert out of here?

porcy62

Porcy

I am not so familiar with Ginger's work although it seems to be very much in the jazz idiom.

Of Jack's work I love "things we like" which is very much a straight ahead jazz album. But what many consider to be his best post Cream work is on "Songs for a Tailor" which is clearly a rock album.

I know nothing about either of their work post-Cream, with the exception of this album:

e85121cg32q.jpg

Not one of Fela's best, this is still a very enjoyable disc. Some great grooves from Fela, Ginger and company, with a live drum duo between Ginger and Tony Allen. Buy it for Ginger, if you want, but you'll keep it for Fela.

'Songs for a Tailor', 'Harmony Row' and 'Things We Like' are all very enjoyable recordings.

But to my mind Bruce's finest hour (with or without Cream) are his spotlights on Carla Bley's 'Escalator Over the Hill'. He handles a number of vocals across the six sides and plays bass. The highlights are 'Businessmen' on Side 2 and the breathtaking 'Rawalpindi Blues' on Side 5; both have John McLaughlin in blistering form.

But to my mind Bruce's finest hour (with or without Cream) are his spotlights on Carla Bley's 'Escalator Over the Hill'. He handles a number of vocals across the six sides and plays bass. The highlights are 'Businessmen' on Side 2 and the breathtaking 'Rawalpindi Blues' on Side 5; both have John McLaughlin in blistering form.

I forgot it!

You're right, I own and love this album, it seems different every time I listen at it, not very often really, but this is a sign of great music. I mean discovering new thing at every listening.

There are some nice Bruce's vocals in a couple of Michael Mantler ECM lps, not bad, bur EOTH are superior.

Edited by porcy62

Jack Bruce made some nice recordings with Kip Hanrahan. For instance, Vertical's Currency pairs Bruce on vocals with David Murray. There are others, where Bruce plays with the likes of Don Pullen, George Adams and others under the production leadership of Hanrahan. Some of these are kind of hit and miss, but the good tracks are quite good.

I think "Vertical's Currency" is the best of the Hanrahan stuff, too. A good place to start with this work, anyway.

"Harmony Row" is probably my favorite of his solo albums, but "Songs for a Tailor", "Out of the Storm" and even "How's Tricks" are pretty solid recordings. There's also a pretty good compilation called "Willpower" that's got a good cross-section of tunes.

BTW, most of his early solo albums have been remastered and re-released in England with extra tracks. So, it's definitely worth tracking those down.

One more thing - I recently grabbed a 2-CD album called "The Jack Bruce Band Live '75" which is EXCELLENT. A lot of music from "Harmony Row" and a killer band of Mick Taylor (former Stone), Carla Bley, Bruce Gary ('future' Knack drummer) and Ronny Leahy (on keyboards). Check it out!

I think "Vertical's Currency" is the best of the Hanrahan stuff, too. A good place to start with this work, anyway.

"Harmony Row" is probably my favorite of his solo albums, but "Songs for a Tailor", "Out of the Storm" and even "How's Tricks" are pretty solid recordings. There's also a pretty good compilation called "Willpower" that's got a good cross-section of tunes.

BTW, most of his early solo albums have been remastered and re-released in England with extra tracks. So, it's definitely worth tracking those down.

One more thing - I recently grabbed a 2-CD album called "The Jack Bruce Band Live '75" which is EXCELLENT. A lot of music from "Harmony Row" and a killer band of Mick Taylor (former Stone), Carla Bley, Bruce Gary ('future' Knack drummer) and Ronny Leahy (on keyboards). Check it out!

I really admire Mick Taylor's guitar playing, but his recording career since he left the Rolling Stones has been such a disaster. However, I strongly recommend this studio recording from 1998, A Stone's Throw.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...9441147-9711306

I saw that band at an outdoor concert in London in '75. I remember enjoying it greatly. Maybe I should spring for this CD.

I saw that band at an outdoor concert in London in '75. I remember enjoying it greatly. Maybe I should spring for this CD.

Definitely pick it up, Bev!

In fact, there's a photo in the booklet from an outdoor show - maybe that's the London gig.

It was at the Crystal Palace Bowl. A roundish covered stage that they stood within, with a pond in front (presumably to stop us rushing the stage!).

In fact here's a pick of the Blockheads at the place a few years later. Those punks were far more badly behaved than we were!

Palace812.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

It was at the Crystal Palace Bowl. A roundish covered stage that they stood within, with a pond in front (presumably to stop us rushing the stage!).

In fact here's a pick of the Blockheads at the place a few years later. Those punks were far more badly behaved than we were!

Palace812.jpg

To get close you have to stand in a moat?

B00000IFW7.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg This is nice,from 99.Carter plays baritone and bass clarinet on 4 tracks-and the rest of the band are based around Ron Miles' group of the time.As far as I know he's released nothing since...too busy playing polo possibly.

As for Bruce,he played a gig nearby last year under the heading of Legends of Rock with the "legendary" Glenn Hughes,Michael Schenker,Ulrich Roth and some others,so legendary they have passed into myth!I stayed well away

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Bruce appears on just about every Hanrahan project and there are quite a load.

Definitely hit and miss and hard to take at times but well worth grabbing if seen for short change. The sounds outweigh Kip's drudgery considering the wealth of talent he pools for the sessions.

"Mario's In (Shadow Song)" from VC being one of my all time favorites for Murray blowing heavy latin.

If you do have a chance, please listen to "Rawalpindhi Blues" from Paul Haines 'Darn It' with Bruce and Don Pullen giving his most incredible workout on record IMO.

You can check out a bunch of pages here:American Clave.

i thought Ginger's two albums with Haden and Frisell were quite nice, as was the one with J. Carter mentioned above, but Ginger's still v. much Ginger on all of them so the're not likely to change anyone's mind.

Why anyone would hire Bruce to sing but not play bass is beyond me. Might just as well hire him for his meager harmonica skills, but then dylan did some session harmonica work so what do I know.