Stan Getz's "Captain Marvel"

Bol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. A lot of things have changed before then.
Okay, I just want to say. . . you can design a tube amp with nearly perfect linearity and about as "pure" a sound as a solids state sound.

There are many audio amps that are this way. I love them.

They don't necessarily make tube guitar amps that way. For a good reason. I love them.

Almost every amp in my house, stereo and instrument, has tubes! At the moment the only exception is my Warwick bass amp. Give me time. . . .

Well, Lon you gotta realize that the comment currently under discussion was made in 2974. A lot of things have changed before then.

I'm gonna tell James he missed the boat with the music thing. Change of plan, star in the remake of "Back to the Future"

:rhappy:

Well, there you have it! :tup

To quote a TV show title starring that great bard and humanitarian Art Linkletter: "People are Funny".

And "Kids Say The Darndest things"!

Remember this guy?

006-24.jpg

Didn't his own kid die in some bizarre tragedy?

Art's yes. Not Muzzy's, at least not that I know of. Dianne Linkletter, fell to her death after stepping our a window while on an acid trip, believing that she could fly. Or so it was told.

And on that note, let's get this thread back on track - Folks, if you're high on the LS&D, don't go stepping out of any windows, even ground level ones. You can't fly, not without some sort of mechanical assistance.

On the other hand, Stan Getz could, and did, fly on a fine record of recorded jazz music called Captain Marvel. The record does have Chick Corea (who not coincidentally composed a tune called "Windows", but not, I repeat not, as a tribute (or a taunt) to Diane Linkletter) on electric piano, but if you think that might be annoying, consider the possibility of it being Muzzy Marcellino instead.

Life is good and so is this record.

Don't be embarrassed. There's a lot of music to hear, nobody hears it all...

Notably, there's a Hancock/Corea piano duet version, and another duet version, this time by Burton/Corea. Woody Herman recorded a version, but that's big band, and truthfully, I don't recall if he used Rhodes on it or not.

Notably, there's a Hancock/Corea piano duet version, and another duet version, this time by Burton/Corea. Woody Herman recorded a version, but that's big band, and truthfully, I don't recall if he used Rhodes on it or not.

Man I haven't spun that Herman LP in a long time. Was a good one. I think Rhodes is used on "Fiesta."

To quote a TV show title starring that great bard and humanitarian Art Linkletter: "People are Funny".

Remember this guy?

006-24.jpg

Art's yes. Not Muzzy's, at least not that I know of. Dianne Linkletter, fell to her death after stepping our a window while on an acid trip, believing that she could fly. Or so it was told.

And on that note, let's get this thread back on track - Folks, if you're high on the LS&D, don't go stepping out of any windows, even ground level ones. You can't fly, not without some sort of mechanical assistance.

On the other hand, Stan Getz could, and did, fly on a fine record of recorded jazz music called Captain Marvel. The record does have Chick Corea (who not coincidentally composed a tune called "Windows", but not, I repeat not, as a tribute (or a taunt) to Diane Linkletter) on electric piano, but if you think that might be annoying, consider the possibility of it being Muzzy Marcellino instead.

Great job getting it back on track. This here thread, it would seem, has been officially hijacked. Hijacked by Art and Dianne Linkletter, NY Jews and Texans, Muzzy Marcellino (nice alliteration, no?) and, toughest pirate of them all:

L S D

We worked hard at it, Jim Sangrey, myself, and it would seem yourself.

[b size]DON'T LET THE BASTARDS TAKE IT BACK

FIGHT. FIGHT

Whew, that took a lot out of me. Listen guys, seriously, I'm only gonna say this once: y'all are taking this a mite too seriously (the former sentence in tribute to our Texan friend Mr. Sangry, from your favorite Christ-killing NY Jew guitarist) dontcha think? IFrom the late 60s/ 70s on electric pianos were used. I know 'cause I seen pictures what had guys like Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock in them. I even went to shows and they had to be on stage (or that was dynamite acid). Before that time and at present acoustic pianos were and are still used. If you like the one over the other listen to the one. Buy CDs with the one, etc.

That's all out of me except PLEASE, EVERYBODY.SHUT.THE.FUCK.UP.ABOUT.THIS

Or I swear Jim, myself, and a few other Web imps will hijack this thread to some exotic place for untold times and no one here will see their wives or kids (probably some of yiz are already packing with a grin :party:

Edited by fasstrack

Notably, there's a Hancock/Corea piano duet version

Cool, because I just landed the Columbia/Legacy Handcock/Corea set recently and I'm listening to La Fiesta a second time 'round as I type. YES, these are two completely different takes on this tune, but I guess I have to side with the Getz set again, because I like the way that Corea handles the intro on electric piano, which is far more pleasing than the way that the Corea/Handcock set handles it (however, near the end of the tune, I do like the way they handle the theme) Needless to say, I can't stress enough how great a composition this is, and I guess I still can't hear it any other way at this juncture. Just my opinion ^_^

Edited by Holy Ghost

Remember this guy?

006-24.jpg

Great job getting it back on track. This here thread, it would seem, has been officially hijacked. Hijacked by Art and Dianne Linkletter, NY Jews and Texans, Muzzy Marcellino (nice alliteration, no?) and, toughest pirate of them all:

L S D

We worked hard at it, Jim Sangrey, myself, and it would seem yourself.

[b size]DON'T LET THE BASTARDS TAKE IT BACK

FIGHT. FIGHT

Whew, that took a lot out of me. Listen guys, seriously, I'm only gonna say this once: y'all are taking this a mite too seriously (the former sentence in tribute to our Texan friend Mr. Sangry, from your favorite Christ-killing NY Jew guitarist) dontcha think? IFrom the late 60s/ 70s on electric pianos were used. I know 'cause I seen pictures what had guys like Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock in them. I even went to shows and they had to be on stage (or that was dynamite acid). Before that time and at present acoustic pianos were and are still used. If you like the one over the other listen to the one. Buy CDs with the one, etc.

That's all out of me except PLEASE, EVERYBODY.SHUT.THE.FUCK.UP.ABOUT.THIS

Or I swear Jim, myself, and a few other Web imps will hijack this thread to some exotic place for untold times and no one here will see their wives or kids (probably some of yiz are already packing with a grin :party:

Dude really? This conversation was just fine until you butted in.

Man I haven't spun that Herman LP in a long time. Was a good one. I think Rhodes is used on "Fiesta."

Sure, probably Rhones, but the liners identify it as "electric piano" (maybe it was a copyright issue).

It probably was a Rhodes. Specifying "Rhodes" would be like crediting "Selmer" tenor saxophone or "Bach" trumpet.

Wurlitzer, yeah, great sound. Used to great advantage by Joe Sample in the early 70s. Soulful like a Rhodes never thought about being. Kinda fragile though, at least for gigging. Light as a feather, relatively speaking. Them Rhodes (I still got one and just moved it around last week, so I know) were heavy.

• 8 months later...

Just reviewed this thread as a consequence of picking up the Stan Getz Quartet at Montreux Polydor album on my recent European trip. It's from three months after the Captain Marvel sessions, without Airto's additional percussion. The version of "La Fiesta" here is very hot - Tony Williams!