Stan Getz's "Captain Marvel"

Bol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked it up a few weeks ago and really haven't listened to it closely enough yet. BUT, I do like what I've heard. Tony Williams plays beautifully (no surprise there) as does the rest of the ensemble. Mainly Corea's tunes, but there is a couple of standards as well. Getz is ON also. That's about all the comments I feel comfortable making right now.

Pretty damn good, I think. AMG has it pretty much correct. Those classic Corea tunes found their first voice with this band. The liner notes tell the story.

Stay away if you can't handle electric piano, though. That goes for the album, too. ;)

Who/what the hell is this "Penguin" thing anyway? If it/they call this one a "dud", I'd guess they're pretty much in a state of crania-en-recti.

Edited by JSngry

I listened to this just the other week. It's a good record, maybe not great. I prefer Light As A Feather, mostly because of Airto's drumming, and I think the electric piano was a bit better, or better recorded. That, to me, has greatness. But Captain Marvel is surely no dud. Stan plays wonderfully (actually both Stans do).

Responding to the other thread, the exact chronology is:

late November 1971 - RTF live in NYC (first gig?)

January 3, 1972 - Getz live in NYC (start)

February 2 & 3, 1972 - Return To Forever (ECM)

February 9, 1972 - Getz live in Chicago (start)

March 3, 1972 - Captain Marvel

[October 8, 1972 - Light As A Feather]

Mike

And, not to argue but just to express and discuss, I've grown less enamored w/SWEET RAIN with the passage of time. Still dig it, but there's a certain element of "adventurous coasting" (those "faux blue" licks) going on in Getz' playing that I don't hear (or, more accurately, hear to a far lesser degree) on the latter album.

Still a great album, though, that SWEET RAIN is.

As I think I said on another thread (though not the one linked to above), I heard the "Captain Marvel" band during its 2/72 Chicago engagment at the London House. That was some amazing stuff, and the record is a millimeter below that level. Especially agree with what Jim S. said on the other thread, about this being one of the last times to hear vintage Tony Williams in full flight and about the absence of that "mooing" faux bluesiness thing that Stan used to get into at times. No room for that here.

The sound is still not what it should have been, but the cd is better. Getz recorded this on his own and delivered the tapes to Columbia, which probably explains the delay in putting this stuff out.

Columbia has this band "live" somewhere in the vaults. I asked Stan why these recordings hadn't been issued and he said "Ask them".

The delay was, I believe, due to contractual fighting between Verve and Columbia. Captain Marvel came out in Europe on Verve, but in the USA on Columbia.

The live stuff you're talking about I guess is the Montreux show? Some issued on Polydor, some on Lotus.

The Raben CD-ROM doesn't list any unissued live Getz from that time with Corea et al. so that Columbia reference is very intriguing.

Mike

Well, I was going to pick Capt. Marvell for my AOW when and if I ever got to do one but now I'll have to pick something else. But I am certainly glad to see the positive response this fine album has gotten here. This is what my friend Charlie came back with when we turned him on to Kinda Blue back in college, shortly after Capt Marvel came out I'd guess. Surely the delay in releasing this must account for its not having a greater rep. And just as surely Sony/Columbia/whoever-the-hell-they-are-now should just go ahead and release whatever live stuffs they have. I've got the aforementioned Montreaux (mine's Polygram) (minus Airto, if memory serves) and Lotus (Vitous subbed for Clarke) live things - they rock but lack the texture that Williams + Airto gives CM. That and my preference for Stan G over Joe F (not that I don't like Joe...) makes this my fav over Return to Forever and Light as a Feather. That and my dislike of Scientology lyrics. But it's all good, and I'd include Joe F's Outback (w/Corea & Elvin) and Moon Germs (w/Herbie H, Stan C, and Jack DeJ) in that "all". To me calling this Fusion is pretty noninformative: it's not like Bitches Brew or later R to F, or whatever else you'd be lumping it in with. People like Heaney who just throw up their hands and close their ears at the mere mention of a Rhodes or an electric bass are missing out on some good stuffs here. I haven't gotten the current CD with its bonus cut yet, but it's on the short list...