What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Ask the Ages: Harp & Horns

I recently returned from this excellent show at the Chapel Performance Space. The always brilliant Stuart Dempster sounded wonderful and it was my first time hearing clarinetist and soprano saxophonist Kate Olson, a very intuitive, creative, communicative player with a gorgeous tone on soprano. There were many highlights, but the version of Alice Coltrane's "Journey in Satchidananda" that concluded the first set, also featuring South Indian vocalist Archana Bennur, was on a truly rarefied level: transformational, beautiful and powerful music.

It was the first live music that I'd heard in over two months, having been sidelined by my recent surgery for quite some time. Many Bright Moments... Thank you to all of the musicians who took part.

Edited by Bill Barton

Tonight at Slim's: The Baseball Project, Minus 5, and Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3 (basically all the same band but with minor personnel changes).

Saw all these groups a couple of weeks ago in Austin - fun show!

Great show last night, but it turned out to be only the Baseball Project although they did some tunes by the related bands (including 3 Dream Syndicate songs).

This weekend...

Friday - The Residents

Saturday - (early)Instant Composers Pool; (late) Mike Watt & The Missingmen

Sunday - ICP

How was Watt?

Tonight at Slim's: The Baseball Project, Minus 5, and Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3 (basically all the same band but with minor personnel changes).

Great show last night, but it turned out to be only the Baseball Project although they did some tunes by the related bands (including 3 Dream Syndicate songs).

This weekend...

Friday - The Residents

Sunday - ICP

How was Watt?

Watt was fantastic! He has a great new album out right now called "The Hyphenated-Man" and he and his band performed it in its entirety. Then he did 4 or 5 Minutemen tunes for an encore. If you liked the Minutemen, you will love this tour/album.

This weekend...

Friday - The Residents

Sunday - ICP

How was Watt?

Watt was fantastic! He has a great new album out right now called "The Hyphenated-Man" and he and his band performed it in its entirety. Then he did 4 or 5 Minutemen tunes for an encore. If you liked the Minutemen, you will love this tour/album.

Great! I got the new album, but haven't listened to it yet. Sounds like a show WELL worth seeing.

Looks like he's going to be here in SF on 4/29. :tup:cool::tup

Boston-area pianist Dave Bryant, formerly with Ornette's Prime Time, in for a Chicago visit. Caught him tonight at the Skylark with bassist Devin Hoff and drummer Marc Riordan (a former student of Bryant's). He played at the Hungry Brain the night before, with Riordan and Jason Roebke, but I couldn't make it.

Probably in his 50s, this guy is something else -- kind of like Ornette on piano, with hints of Tristano, but not really like anything or anyone else. Tremendous two-handed technique, near unbelievable speed of execution at times, everything quite lucid no matter how wild it gets, lots of personal story-telling harmonic intensity. Mostly his own tunes, plus "Scrapple from the Apple." And does he ever swing!

http://dbryantmusic.com/

Boston-area pianist Dave Bryant, formerly with Ornette's Prime Time, in for a Chicago visit. Caught him tonight at the Skylark with bassist Devin Hoff and drummer Marc Riordan (a former student of Bryant's). He played at the Hungry Brain the night before, with Riordan and Jason Roebke, but I couldn't make it.

Probably in his 50s, this guy is something else -- kind of like Ornette on piano, with hints of Tristano, but not really like anything or anyone else. Tremendous two-handed technique, near unbelievable speed of execution at times, everything quite lucid no matter how wild it gets, lots of personal story-telling harmonic intensity. Mostly his own tunes, plus "Scrapple from the Apple." And does he ever swing!

Sold, by this description! Are there any recordings you could recommend?

Picked up "The Eternal Hang" (rec. 1999) at the Skylark last night from Bryant but haven't listened to it yet. There are sound clips on Bryant's website. Marc Riordan tells me it's topnotch, and it has received some enthusiastic reviews (which can be found on the site).

I had a pretty good seven days. Last Tuesday I and some friends drove from Albany NY over to Amherst Ma to catch Amir ElSaffar's Two River ensemble. Trumpet/sax/bass/drums with two ouds (at times one tabla). Very Cool. One night later, I caught Fred Ho and Salim Washington at the Sanctuary for Independent Media in Troy NY. Each musician did a solo bit that involved spoken word. Then they improvised a sax duo piece. Loved it. Along with his skill, Fred displays great humor in his work. Showed a music video set to his arrangment of In-a-godda-de-vida. This appears on one of his latest releases and is hilarious. Salim has a wonderful sound to his tenor. Also he is very well spoken Finally, this past Saturday, a friend co produced a concert at his wife's bookstore. The musicians were Bob Devos on guitar and Hendrik Meurkens on harmonica and vibes. Always special to hear jazz harmonica.

Last night, I caught a group of local masters led by tenor sax Arnie Krakowsky at a small club called The Sahara Jazz Club in Methuen, MA. It was a set of Al & Zoot tunes with guitarist John Wilkins playing the role of "Al". It was a great time. I do wonder how they make any money with a paltry $5 cover though.

Picked up "The Eternal Hang" (rec. 1999) at the Skylark last night from Bryant but haven't listened to it yet. There are sound clips on Bryant's website. Marc Riordan tells me it's topnotch, and it has received some enthusiastic reviews (which can be found on the site).

Thanks - must have missed the clips on the website...will look harder this time!

Tonight - Gebhard Ullmann/Steve Swell Quartet at Firehouse 12 in New Haven.

Last Night - New Directions Ensemble @ Trinity College in Hartford.

Earl MacDonald - Musical Director, Composer-in-Residence, piano

Kris Allen - Artistic Director, alto sax

Wayne Escoffery - tenor sax

Lauren Sevian - bari sax

Tony Kadleck - trumpet

Josh Evans - trumpet

John Clark - French horn

Sara Jacovino - trombone

Alexandra Eckhardt - string bass

Jimmy Macbride - drums

The Radiators in Orlando. The New Orleans band is one of the few rock bands I listen to regularly, and they're breaking up this summer, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to catch their closest show to Atlanta.

The Rads played for two hours and 15 minutes, playing their songs and an amazing variety of covers. As an example, their song "Confidential" turned into a swamp-rock version of "Pusher Man." In two months, the Radiators will be no more. I'm glad I was there tonight.