What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

first concerts of this year coming up... tomorrow night it'll be Colin Vallon in trio, an Thursday Matana Roberts with her Coin Coin group and "Les gens de coleur libre" project.

Colin Vallon's trio was fine, with Samuel Rohrer playing amazing drums all the way through.

And Matana Roberts, from where I just returned, was even better!

The way her "coin coin" project (of which I saw the first part, "gens de couleur libre") integrates spirituals, work songs, trad-grooves, free playing, boppish moments... how the strings create textures and all... truly a great experience to see! And in the finest of Chicago melting pot traditions - just great music that works perfectly well as a whole, drawing on the huge great black music tradition.

Good way to start off my concert year after nearly two months without any live music!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Sunday, I saw the Pacifica Quartet wrap up their Shostakovich string quartet cycle. I was able to make every one. Some magnificent playing, and there is no question I picked up more on the textures from seeing them live than just on CD. The ending of the 13th is one that gains certainly. Supposedly the live concerts will be broadcast on the radio later in the year, and I'll try to provide details as they come out. They will be repeating this cycle in 2011-12 in New York and London, and I would recommend it.

Last night, I saw the Scharoun Ensemble Berlin here in Chicago. This is a subgroup of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra that specializes in chamber music, particularly Beethoven's Septet and Schumann's Octet. But they play other pieces as well. This was a pretty neat concert where they ended with Beethoven's Septet (though I was fading a bit at the end), but prior to that, they combined forces with some of the members of the CSO for Mendelssohn's Octet. What a stunning piece that was. They did not play Schumann's Octet, but they were selling that in the lobby and signing copies, so I picked one up. It does not appear they have recorded Beethoven's Septet yet.

They may have a few more concerts around the US, but the next one seems to be in LA (at UCLA) this Wed. where they will be playing both Beethoven's Septet and Schumann's Octet: UCLA. If you like classical chamber pieces and happen to be in town, I would recommend this concert.

Edit - so sorry, the UCLA concert is Thurs, and apparently they are playing this Friday in Orange Country. Possibly more stops on the tour, but I'm not too sure about that.

Edited by ejp626

Flogging Molly in Philly, at the Electric Factory!

Are they good? I could probably see them in Austin.

They're fun! Intense Irish-punk music. There was a banjo, fiddle, and accordion on stage, but it was still driving punkish stuff. It's like going to an Irish Pub with 2,500 other people, moshing and so forth. I didn't mosh, too old for that lol - I just kinda bop along nowadays.

Check out some of their clips on youtube..

Flogging Molly in Philly, at the Electric Factory!

Are they good? I could probably see them in Austin.

They're fun! Intense Irish-punk music. There was a banjo, fiddle, and accordion on stage, but it was still driving punkish stuff. It's like going to an Irish Pub with 2,500 other people, moshing and so forth. I didn't mosh, too old for that lol - I just kinda bop along nowadays.

Check out some of their clips on youtube..

OK..........sounds good. I'll just add it to the growing list.

Kenny Werner Quintet w/Randy Brecker, David Sanchez, Scott Colly, Antonio Sanchez.

Only one I was unfamiliar with was Antonio - what a revelation! The guy is fantastic - totally locked into the music and musicians. Extremely creative and very 'busy' without being intrusive.

Tommorow night.... Brad Melhdau and friends doing his Highway Rider project. From the venue's website...

"One of the foremost jazz pianists of his generation, Brad Mehldau performs the Boston premiere of his exciting and unique new work for two pianos, six winds and percussion. Featuring an all-star cast of world-renowned musicians, including pianist Timothy Andres, vocalist Becca Stevens, saxophonists Chris Cheek, Chris Potter, Joshua Redman, Joris Roelofs, Sam Sadigursky and Greg Tardy, with additional artists to be announced, this new work continues Mehldau’s penchant for jazz exploration, classical romanticism and pop allure and builds on his ever-expanding body of compositional work. Pianist Kevin Hays joins Mehldau on the first portion of the program, performing both solo and duo piano pieces."

I've been listening a lot to him this week and am REALLY looking forward to it!

Tomorrow night - SF Jazz Collective.

This year's theme is the music of Stevie Wonder.

Who's in the lineup now?

I really enjoyed seeing them a couple of years ago in San Antonio, with Booby, Dave Douglas, Zenon, Rosnes, and Redman.

This is the lineup:

Miguel Zenón – Alto Saxophone

Mark Turner – Tenor Saxophone

Avishai Cohen – Trumpet

Robin Eubanks – Trombone

Stefon Harris – Vibraphone

Edward Simon – Piano

Matt Penman – Bass

Eric Harland – Drums

Three concerts in Texas: Hogg Memorial Auditorium, University of Texas

Austin, TX March 24

Buy tickets

R. Don Cowan Fine & Performing Arts Center

University of Texas

Tyler, TX March 25

Buy tickets

Annette Strauss Artist Square

at AT&T Performing Arts Center

Dallas, TX March 26

Buy tickets

Great show tonight - great crowd, too. While they "do" Stevie Wonder tunes, they're far from covers. Each musician re-arranges their choice of tune, and in all cases do very creative interpretations. If they come anywhere near your town - go see them. It's a treat.

Being a member of SF Jazz, we got to go to a listening "party" with Miguel Zenon a few weeks ago. It's was a discussion where he walked us through all the songs that the Collective were going to play and discussed the various merits of each one. Great insight in advance of seeing the show.

Took my wife to hear Scott Hamilton tonight. The German trio bakcing him was very competent, nice swinging and tasteful drummer, good balance without much amplification. But we left after the first half - there was something missing. He plays all those phrases we all know from the masters, he quotes quite a lot, which I usually like, but the whole music he plays sounds like a quote all the time, as if he played all those licks to get an idea of what the life and feeling of those jazz greats was all about.

Among the tunes was Robbins' Nest, and back at home I played my wife Illinois Jacquet's 1959 version, and she immediately got the idea of what was missing.

I dunno - am I beeing too critical? And yes, he frowned at his reed during eveyr other tune, and consumed a whole box of 'em, it seems ...

Nice sidenote: I met an old aquaintance that I hadn't seen in years - back in 1980 our girlfriends lived two blocks apart, we had played a few sessions together. He's a saxist, spent about ten years in New York, his name is Chris Zimmer - any of the New Yorkers here every heard him?

I've seen Scott Hamilton live once--in a George Wein led group as the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival--I had a similar reaction of boredom, but in this case Buddy Tate and Norris Turney were also on stage so all was not lost.

Edited by kh1958