What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First gig of the year going to see sax player Jon Irabagon with our finest local players on drums Jim Doxas, bass Fraser Hollins and on piano John Roney

It is a bit sad but the leader was the less interesting member of the group, most of his arrangements felt like they were going for a revival of the 50s, can't say his playing was compelling way too many clichés and when he was into something he rarely was able to pull it through , Chet Doxas joined for a few pieces and blew him into oblivion, too bad the rhythm section was cooking and Roney is an interesting guy, but the music never went beyond ok. Not a bad night but just average.

Next week The Story.

Lars Dietrich-Alto Saxophone & Electronics

Samir Zarif-Tenor & Soprano Saxophone

John Escreet-Piano & Rhodes

Zack Lober-Acoustic & Electric Bass

Greg Ritchie-Drums & Cymbals

:excited:

Mississippi bluesman Terry "Big T" Williams at Ground Zero in Clarksdale.

Big T was slightly disappointing, but tonight I went to Red's in Clarksdale, where Big A and his three-piece band was playing. I have no idea who Big A really is, but damn! The blues are alive! The music was amazing. The rhythm section, who were even more anonymous than Big A, was amazing - every groove was just perfect. This performance made my Mississippi trip worthwhile.

Just came back from seeing/hearing something called "Blues at the Crosswords" which is sort of a commemoration of Robert Johnson's centennial. Centers on a group called Big Head Todd and the

Monsters who I'd never heard of but they're pretty good. I went because they featured as guests Hubert Sumlin and Honey Boy Edwards! I think at 95 Edwards is the oldest performer I've ever heard but he still rocks as does Hubert-- the reason I went to the show and I'm glad I did.

The Story.

Lars Dietrich-Alto Saxophone & Electronics

Samir Zarif-Tenor & Soprano Saxophone

John Escreet-Piano & Rhodes

Zack Lober-Acoustic & Electric Bass

Greg Ritchie-Drums & Cymbals

:excited:

I expected great things and they did deliver, very complex arrangements but delivered in such a smart way, the music is less accessible than the other formation with Escreet, the tenor Zarif is one guy worth following .

Next Saturday at Yoshi's: Tony Williams Tribute Band

I saw them last Friday at the Blue Note in NYC- they were smokin' hot! Medeski was not much more than a bit player at the set I saw, but the other three were marvelous. Jack Bruce played very well, Vernon Reid played some excellent stinging guitar, and Cindy Blackman was INCREDIBLE. She never let up, and it fit the music perfectly. I wondered how she could play a second set after playing so much in the first set-she's got some energy.

Tony Williams Tribute Band at Yoshi's

Cindy Blackman-Santana has completely channeled Tony - what a performance. One jaw dropping drum "clinic" after another tonight. VERY intense.

Everyone else was "on", too. John Medeski (doing his own channeling of Larry Young), Jack Bruce (masterful as expected) and Vernon Reid blazing away on guitar (although oddly under-miked). The show itself wasn't as loud as I had expected - powerful for sure, but not uncomfortably over-amped.

Carlos came out for the last number which started out as a jam/riff, but quickly morphed into "Sunshine of Your Love". Ultimately a little silly, but they did pull it off and everyone went home happy.

Next Saturday at Yoshi's: Tony Williams Tribute Band

I saw them last Friday at the Blue Note in NYC- they were smokin' hot! Medeski was not much more than a bit player at the set I saw, but the other three were marvelous. Jack Bruce played very well, Vernon Reid played some excellent stinging guitar, and Cindy Blackman was INCREDIBLE. She never let up, and it fit the music perfectly. I wondered how she could play a second set after playing so much in the first set-she's got some energy.

"She never let up..."

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Ely, Ryan Bingham, Terry Allen

Wish I could have been there. I haven't seen Ely or Allen in quite some time. Nice to see Terry Allen is still playing form time to time. I wish he'd come back to my neighborhood.

Last Friday I went to see Bill Frisell w/Beautiful Dreamers Trio and John Scofield Trio. It made for interesting/contrasting comparisons for the night. Frisell was wonderfull as usual. He never fails to surprise me. Scofield played The Lawns by Carla Bley which was the highlight of his set for me. Sco had the fantastic Bill Stewart playing drums which kept me on my toes. It's a thrill to watch and hear him play.

Joe Ely, Ryan Bingham, Terry Allen

Wish I could have been there. I haven't seen Ely or Allen in quite some time. Nice to see Terry Allen is still playing form time to time. I wish he'd come back to my neighborhood.

Last Friday I went to see Bill Frisell w/Beautiful Dreamers Trio and John Scofield Trio. It made for interesting/contrasting comparisons for the night. Frisell was wonderfull as usual. He never fails to surprise me. Scofield played The Lawns by Carla Bley which was the highlight of his set for me. Sco had the fantastic Bill Stewart playing drums which kept me on my toes. It's a thrill to watch and hear him play.

I saw that double bill on Saturday. When I saw them Scofield played the first set and then was joined by the Dreamers for one song: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"-- that was the highlight for me.

Wayne Macuga Orchestra at the Palisades Theater in McKeesport last night. They performed big-band versions of Sinatra songs and other period pieces. About 100 people attended including 25 couples dancing. An elegant blast from the past!

LWayne

Edited by LWayne