What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I also like his determination to make his way from Wales rather than shifting to London.

To be applauded, for sure ! That place is like a damn black hole..

I'll try to check out the Steve Melling track that you have mentioned. I'm sure I've seen him before at Swanage - possibly as part of Don Weller's Octet.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Yesterday it was Sounds Outside in Cal Anderson Park (Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle.) One to eight p.m., adventurous sounds, lots of sun, good friends... Great day of music. Kudos to Beth Fleenor, John Seman and everyone in the Monktail Creative Music Concern. The next one is August 14th. Not to be missed! Kahil El'Zabar and Hamiet Bluiett in duo are the "headliners."

Sounds Outside

Tina May with Nicky Illes sounded (and looked) very good on the last day at Swanage.

Alan Barnes' 'Swanage Suite' for his octet was also a treat - and very funny too with the Barnes 'repartee' in full swing. Jim Hart on vibes and a young Swedish trombonist who's name I didn't catch both outstanding.

Gilad Atzmon performed with the Meier Group and in a cutting contest with Alan Barnes. He took no prisoners in both performances - probably the best playing I have seen from him.

After checking out the performance on the beach by Mr A Punch (beating up his wife, kid and croc), really enjoyed hearing 'Back Door Too' in the revamped 'Bar Seven' venue just opposite the Town Quay too. Very cool. :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

Sounds like a great weekend, sidewinder.

I wish Nikki Iles would record more - the 'Printmakers' sextet she toured with last autumn (including Norma Winstone, Stan Sulzman and Mike Walker) was superb. Her website says she is doing another trio record in the autumn for spring release.

I've often thought that if the BBC put on a 45 minute jazz club series with Alan Barnes as compare, jazz could capture the general public's imagination again. You're never in any doubt that it's all about having fun.

I've often thought that if the BBC put on a 45 minute jazz club series with Alan Barnes as compare, jazz could capture the general public's imagination again.

What a great idea - he would be a natural in that role. He could probably have made a living as a stand-up comic. Had the audience in stitches for most of his (unscripted I think) interludes. His story about cooking a meal for Harry Diamond was priceless (the 'Old Harry' tune in the suite was for both the local landmark rocky outcrop and also served as a nice tribute to the late Mr Diamond).

First time I've ever seen Tina May and Nikki Illes - but I liked it. Too bad I missed the Barnes/May 'grand finale' (which was packed out at the time I left).

Other than that, nearly ran over 3 cows strayed into the road in Wareham Forest on the way back. A close thing... :o:D

Edited by sidewinder

he would be a natural in that role. He could probably have made a living as a stand-up comic. Had the audience in stitches for most of his (unscripted I think) interludes.

My favourite was when he was promoting his Horace Silver tribute album, 'Yeah!' Went something to the effect of 'if Horace Silver had been British he'd have called the tune 'Perhaps' or 'Maybe' or 'Possibly'.'

Saw Konono No. 1 in Chicago. It was really touch and go (it was an outside concert and it starting drizzling with a chance of thunderstorms). I decided to go ahead and go to the park. I sat quite far up in the seats (much further than normal) under the huge Gehry-designed canopy which blocked most of the rain. And in fact the rain eased up and it didn't pour, which was a huge relief to all.

I was surprised that essentially they opened for Kid Sister (a local rap artist, who's nothing that special). But given the iffy weather, I wasn't at all sad to be able to leave before 7:30. They played 3 pieces (the last one might have actually been a blend of two songs) stretched out at 15 minutes each.* The songs all sound pretty similar, but they have a nice groove (if a bit on the loud side) and it was still awfully cool to see them playing live. Never really thought I would see them in person. I suppose that's one of the positives of globalization -- that world music groups actually can make it over to major US/Canadian cities. Very little of this was happening 15-20 years ago. In the US at any rate, there was a bit of touring activity in the late 1960s with Mama Africa (Makeba) and a few other artists out of South Africa, but then very little until Paul Simon helped break Ladysmith Black Mambazo. At the time, I was pretty dismissive of what Simon was up to, but I was wrong (I now think). I've been exposed to some really terrific stuff, and there are still a few more great upcoming concerts (hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer for the next one).

* Reminded me of my trip to the Village Vanguard where I caught Don Byron. He played two songs in his set, each a 30 minute jam.

Edited by ejp626

Guest Bill Barton

Earlier tonight it was Paul Kikuchi's Portable Sanctuary with Stuart Dempster and Bill Horist, then the Owcharuk 5 at the Chapel Performance Space in Seattle, part of the Jazz:The Second Century series presented by Earshot Jazz. Fine show! I had fun being a last-minute fill-in MC too...

2nd Century

I've often thought that if the BBC put on a 45 minute jazz club series with Alan Barnes as compare, jazz could capture the general public's imagination again.

What a great idea - he would be a natural in that role. He could probably have made a living as a stand-up comic.

Yes, indeed! Alan Barnes told one at Wigan last year about the man who couldn't get through on the phone to the incontinence clinic. Asked where he was ringing, he replied, "Everywhere from the waist down" :blush2:

Nick Moss and the Flip Tops at Pearl on Commerce. Very good guitarist and band, he saved the best song for the end of the second set; modest sized audience of 30 or so. Looking forward to seeing Michael Burks again here, and to seeing Janiva Magness, both at Pearl in about a month.

This Friday night, it'll be Charles McPherson, with one R. Porter on piano, Wayne Dockery on bass, don't know who the drummer's going to be.

It wasn't Wayne Dockery, at least the night I was there, but Darryl Hall on bass. Pianist was Randy Porter, drummer was a Dutchman, Martjin Vink. Great show! The pianist and drummer were a little wet behind the ears--impressive talent but still young enough not to have the ease that comes with experience. But they were eager! McPherson introduced "Anthropology" by saying, "Drummers like to play fast, so this one is for the drummer." They went into it at a ridiculous tempo, think Parker's "Koko". McPherson just about had time to fit in the general shape of the melody. It was quite a thrill, and they held it together. Everybody cheered McPherson and Vink for their supersonic solos, but meanwhile Darryl Hall (a wonderful bassist, this was my first time seeing him) was back there walking faster than any bassist should have to walk for that long... McPherson is an undersung treasure, a real bopper with a golden, liquid tone, distinctive and spontaneous phrasing, and a sassy, funky, swinging musical personality that deserves renown. Go out and see him if he passes through your town!

I'm surprised there was no thread on this year's jazz festival in Newport, RI. Original promoter George Wein was at the helm again, with healthy financial backing by CareFusion. Here's a list of the artists I saw there this past Saturday and Sunday:

Marshall Allen/Matthew Shipp/Joe Morris Trio

Ken Vandermark's Powerhouse Sound

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society

JD Allen Trio

Maria Schneider Orchestra

Fly (Mark Turner, Larry Grenadier, Jeff Ballard)

David Binney Third Occasion Quartet

Matt Wilson Quartet

Conrad Herwig's Latin Side of Herbie Hancock

Dave Douglas & Brass Ecstasy

Ben Allison Band

Jason Moran's Bandwagon

Newport All-Stars (featuring George Wein, Randy Brecker, Randy Sandke, Howard Alden, Anat Cohen)

The entire festival was recorded by NPR, so check your local public radio station for online streaming. And of course, DONATE! :lol: