What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

I just now returned from the first event in the Is That Jazz? series: Sunship and then the Sun Ra Tribute Band. Great show! And a full house. Who sez adventurous music can't pack 'em in? "We travel the spaceways, from planet to planet..."

Is That Jazz?

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

The second night of the Is That Jazz? Festival was delightful too. William O. (Bill) Smith - the Bill Smith of Brubeck Octet fame in the late 1940s and Professor Emeritus at The University of Washington, not the Bill Smith from British Columbia who used to edit Coda - played a marvelous extended composition that was a set in itself with his trio. Subtle, swinging and adventurous... And young bassist Evan Flory-Barnes' Threat of Beauty was a fascinating contrast. Two vocalists, two trumpets, French horn, vibes, harp, drums, congas/percussion and double bass. Interesting textures and mesmerizing grooves.

Is That Jazz?

Evan Flory-Barnes

The second night of the Is That Jazz? Festival was delightful too. William O. (Bill) Smith - the Bill Smith of Brubeck Octet fame in the late 1940s and Professor Emeritus at The University of Washington, not the Bill Smith from British Columbia who used to edit Coda - played a marvelous extended composition that was a set in itself with his trio. Subtle, swinging and adventurous... And young bassist Evan Flory-Barnes' Threat of Beauty was a fascinating contrast. Two vocalists, two trumpets, French horn, vibes, harp, drums, congas/percussion and double bass. Interesting textures and mesmerizing grooves.

Is That Jazz?

Evan Flory-Barnes

Always liked William Smith's work.

My wife and I have discussed retiring to Northwest Washington at some point, and I've got to say that your posts here are very encouraging to me. The music scene in Seattle seems so much more interesting than in here in Atlanta.

Guest Bill Barton

Is That Jazz?

Evan Flory-Barnes

Always liked William Smith's work.

My wife and I have discussed retiring to Northwest Washington at some point, and I've got to say that your posts here are very encouraging to me. The music scene in Seattle seems so much more interesting than in here in Atlanta.

He's a very, very nice guy too. Yes, the Seattle music scene is very active, particularly the "edgier" stuff. Good mainstream scene here too, though many of the musicians I talk with complain about the fact that there really are very few places to play. Probably not a city to make a lot of bread playing professionally, but no lack of great music ranging all over the stylistic map. Tula's still has live music seven nights a week plus a "matinee" on Sunday, pretty damned amazing in this day and age and taking the economic climate into consideration. For a city of it's relatively small size, Seattle has a TON of world-class players, some relatively well-known - like Smith, Stuart Dempster, Hadley Caliman, Julian Priester, Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz, Tom Varner, Amy Denio, Thomas Marriott, Cuong Vu, Reptet et al. - and many more who are regional "names." Hey, man, c'mon over! And please bring your Alec Wilder program along. :D

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight it's the conclusion of the Is That Jazz? series at the Chapel Performance Space in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood. A double-bill of the Tom Baker Quartet and the Cuong Vu Trio. Looking forward!

Is That Jazz?

Then Sunday night it's Beth Fleenor as clarinet soloist with the odeonquartet in Wayne Horvitz's These Hills of Glory, his composition for improvising soloist and string quartet. Also on the bill is the premiere of a new string quartet by Robin Holcomb and a full set from Figeater, Fleenor's wildly eclectic ensemble. Thank goodness it's a 7:30 p.m. start-time, so I should be able to catch the whole show before heading to Bellevue for my radio program.

These Hills of Glory story from Seattle Weekly

The Residents! :tup

Saw that Lee Morgan all-star show last night. It was a small (because of the Super Bowl), but enthusiastic audience and a very entertaining show. They concentrated on tunes from late in his career, but also did the Sidewinder and Ceora. Everyone got to solo which was great because they're truly ALL stars.

Tomorrow I'm going to see the

World Saxophone Quartet

David Murray (ts, bcl) James Carter (ts, ss, cl) Oliver Lake (as) Hamiet Bluiett (bs, cl)

Eli Fountain (mallet perc, tympani) Steve Berrios (conga, latin perc) Warren Smith (tympani)

Ray Mantilla (conga, latin perc) Joe Chambers (mallet perc)

on a double bill with

The Anat Ford Trio

Gary Wang (b) Roland Schneider (dr)

at NDR Radio Studios (German Public Radio)

Edited by save

Saw last night the Trio HĂ¥vard Wiik, was ok.

The previous week attended a gig with Chloé Ste-Marie doing songs in an Amerindian language quite good also saw local drummer Thom Gossage in a fine quintet starring Remi Bolduc and Frank Lozano with guess bassist Drew Gress. Nice cohesive music.

Tonight going to see pianist Hiromi.

Did you enjoy Gary Higgins? I saw him a year or two ago, 'twas excellent.

He was pretty good, I was surprised that his voice is still in really good shape. I do prefer his older material though. James Blackshaw was excellent. Amazing player. He got a little emotional at the end of his set when speaking of Jack Rose....