What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

6 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I caught them here in Phoenix last night, at the Musical Instrument Museum, fantastic show!  I came away impressed with both Shaw and Waits.  Kris Davis was solid, but didn't really stand out, performance wise, IMO.  And Dave was fantastic.

edit - for those that haven't been to the MIM, it's an amazing museum, easily Smithsonian caliber.  They have the oldest guitar in existence (dating from 1590), and a Chinese drum that's more than 6,000 years old.  Plus Eric Dolphy's sax, Thelonious Monk's piano, Buddy Rich's drum set, Gerry Mulligan's baritone sax, and Lionel Hampton's vibraharp.  Too many other things to mention.

All 4 were excellent here in Santa Fe. BTW, have been to MIM & it's fantastic.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I saw him in Leuven in 2018 I thought that might be the only and last opportunity to see him perform live. But upcoming Saturday I will see him perform again in Utrecht: Abdullah Ibrahim, 89 years old. I assume he will play for a small hour, solo piano, his well known repertoire like he did in 2017. That was one of the most intimate concerts I’ve ever witnessed. Looking very much forward to it!

It's been a while, but I'm getting back to a show this Saturday night. James Carter is playing at Scullers in Boston. I used to catch Carter on every swing through Boston but it's been a long time since I saw him last. He usually puts on a great performance. I know his showmanship turns some of you off but I actually like the stuff he does quite a bit.