What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to see Dave Holland with Prism last Sunday at Ronnie Scott's.....very disappointing.

Although the musicians (Dave Holland, Craig Taborn, Kevin Eubanks and Eric Harland) seemed to be enjoying themselves, it was the music itself that let it down. Every tune seemed to be a variation of the one before so there was very little variety. I really don't think the group works with a guitar as the lead instrument.

Anyway, it was good to see Dave Holland again. I calculated that the last time I had seen him playing live was in a tiny club near Liverpool St. Station in 1968 or 69.... amazing!

I just got home from seeing the Paul Winter Sextet, with Howard Johnson, Marvin Stamm, Warren Bernhardt, Cecil McBee and Jamey Haddad, in Pittsburgh. They'll be streaming Saturday's set at 8 here: http://mcgjazz.org/_wp/. Completely unfamiliar with Winter, I wasn't planning on going until I found out who was in the band (I particularly couldn't resist McBee and Johnson). There was excellent playing from everyone. The surprising thing was how short they kept each number; using the new '62-3 Sextet anthology, Count Me In, as a reference, the band played approximately 14 songs over the course of 80 minutes. Despite the brevity of the songs, the horns and Bernhardt all had plenty of solo time. The only disappointment that the redoubtable McBee didn't have a single solo, not counting a humorous ending he played after one number.

For anyone interested, the two-disc anthology has 14 previously unreleased tracks and features sidemen like McBee, Chuck Israels, Bernhardt, Jay Cameron, Freddie Waits, Gene Bertoncini, Harold Jones and Ben Riley, to name a few. The Pittsburgh concerts are commemorating the first jazz concert held at the White House, which is included on the anthology. Based on the concert earlier tonight, I'm pretty excited to listen to it and to stream the second night's set. This is engaging sextet music that deserves to be heard.

Edited by Justin V

Taylor Ho Bynum Sextet tomorrow, Steve Lehman Octet Wednesday, in DC.

If you get a chance i'd love to hear how these concerts went, particularly the Lehman. Did they perform any new stuff? I know there's a new Octet album coming out on Pi next year (as per Lehman's website).

The Taylor Ho Bynum concert was canceled. I won't say anymore about how that all went down. The Steve Lehman Octet performance at the Atlas was excellent. Prior to the concert, Lehman did a Q&A with the audience that was illuminating and interesting The group played quite well. Lehman said that the material they were performing had been commissioned by an arts group (forgot who), and that it would appear on the next album, which they were about to record. It's interesting how one can hear Jackie McLean and Anthony Braxton influences during the performance (Lehman's two principal teachers). One does not often get to hear octet performances these days, so that was a treat, and this was really an all-star ensemble, so that made it even better.

Caught Wayne Shorter's concert at the Barbican in London last night. First half was with the Quartet, 2nd half the Quartet plus the BBC Concert Orchestra with arrangements by Wayne. First reaction is that he's sounding even better if anything, than on other occasions I've caught him over the past 10 years and the Quartet has got even more coherent/telepathic. Both parts of the concert were fantastic but the orchestral music was really memorable (reminded me a bit of Jaco Pastorius 'Word Of Mouth', strangely enough). Mainly tenor from Wayne in the 1st half but he concentrated on sporano in the 2nd.

Edited by sidewinder

Taylor Ho Bynum Sextet tomorrow, Steve Lehman Octet Wednesday, in DC.

If you get a chance i'd love to hear how these concerts went, particularly the Lehman. Did they perform any new stuff? I know there's a new Octet album coming out on Pi next year (as per Lehman's website).

The Taylor Ho Bynum concert was canceled. I won't say anymore about how that all went down. The Steve Lehman Octet performance at the Atlas was excellent. Prior to the concert, Lehman did a Q&A with the audience that was illuminating and interesting The group played quite well. Lehman said that the material they were performing had been commissioned by an arts group (forgot who), and that it would appear on the next album, which they were about to record. It's interesting how one can hear Jackie McLean and Anthony Braxton influences during the performance (Lehman's two principal teachers). One does not often get to hear octet performances these days, so that was a treat, and this was really an all-star ensemble, so that made it even better.

Cheers for that. The McLean and Braxton connection gets cited quite a bit, and as much as it's valid it amazes me how much Lehman has his own thing. In my head i don't really associate Lehman with Braxton at all; i associate him more with Steve Coleman if anything. Really looking forward to hearing that new octet material.

Yefim Bronfman playing Beethoven Piano Concertos with the VSO (Vancouver Symphony). He played #1 & 2 on Sat. and plays #3 tonight. Then he comes back in three weeks or so to do #4 & 5. Looking forward to the cycle, which seems to be a bit of a Vancouver exclusive.

I believe Bronfman is Toronto in Feb. but only doing #2 and #4 (though Torontonians will have Angela Hewitt passing through in March to play #5).

Thursday Randy Weston/Billy Harper Duo

Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz

That's going to be good, Mike. I saw Billy with the Randy Weston Trio at Yoshi's 4-5 years ago. Great show.

They're playing SFJazz on Sunday with Jason Moran (somehow). Would have gone, but ticket prices for that are sky-high. Good for Randy and Billy, though.

I will be catching these shows.

Friday 11/22- Jim Hall - Lincoln Center

Saturday 11/23 Chris Potter Underground - Dizzy's Club Coca Cola

Sunday 11/24 - The Renee Rosnes Quartet at the Vanguard

Tuesday 11/26 - Randy Weston and Billy Harper Duos at the Iridium.

December 5th Benny Golson Quartet - Jazz Standard

December 11 George Coleman Octet - Jazz Standard

I will be catching these shows.

Friday 11/22- Jim Hall - Lincoln Center

Saturday 11/23 Chris Potter Underground - Dizzy's Club Coca Cola

Sunday 11/24 - The Renee Rosnes Quartet at the Vanguard

Tuesday 11/26 - Randy Weston and Billy Harper Duos at the Iridium.

December 5th Benny Golson Quartet - Jazz Standard

December 11 George Coleman Octet - Jazz Standard

Wow. That's a nice run you have lined up. The Chris Potter gig is apparently an expanded version of Underground, billed as the Underground Orchestra.

Last night I caught the Wayne Shorter Quartet in Buffalo. It was a special night.