What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past weekend, for the first time I attended Satchmo Summerfest in New Orleans.

The festival is two days long at the National Jazz Museum (the Old Mint).

There are thirteen concerts and five lectures each day, occurring on two indoor and two outdoor tented stages.

On Saturday, my festival day began with a presentation by Catherine Russell (jazz singer and daughter of Luis Russell) and Paul Kahn regarding the history of the Luis Russell composed Back O'Town Blues, which became a staple in the Louis Armstrong repertoire.

After that, there was a concert by the Victor Campbell Duo in the second floor galleries. Victor Campbell is a Cuban jazz pianist now living in New Orleans. To my knowledge he has not recorded as a leader yet; but he is surely one of the more amazing pianists I've ever heard. A dazzling virtuoso who performed a mixture of traditional Cuban piano music and jazz standards--the succession of Over the Rainbow, Summertime and Besame Mucho was just unreal. I had the unusual vantage point of sitting directly behind him this performance. It was an ecstatic experience.

Next, back to the lecture stage for Chris Thomas King's presentation on the 1923 King Oliver Creole Jazz Band sessions. Ricky Ricardi was there and played one of the selections from the new Archeophone release. I wasn't going to get it but now I'm not sure, as the selection he played sounded really clear.

After that, to an outdoor stage for Yusa and Mahmoud Chouki. Yusa is an excellent Cuban singer and guitarist. This was my fifth time to see Morrocan guitarist and oud player Mahmoud, and each of the prior four times has been exceptional. So was this. A stellar concert. This was a little different as Yusa is more Cuban music than jazz, whereas "Mood" blends his Moroccan roots with jazz. The partnership was highly successful.

That was it at the fest for the day. In the evening, I heard Catherine Russell sing her interesting repertoire at Snug Harbor.

On day 2 of the Festival, I didn't hear any lectures, just three concerts.

First, Steve Lands and Kosmic Krew. While this band seems like it is decidedy modern, on this day its repertoire was Satchmo oriented. Steve Lands is an excellent trumpet player, and his band included the fabulous bassist Amina Scott and the another terrific New Orleans pianist, Oscar Rossignoli (who was also in the Yusa/Mahmoud Chouki band)

Next, a band led by the understated guitarist Detroit Brooks, featuring an older band of sextet size, including Jamil Sharif on trumpet and Kyle Roussell on piano. Charmaine Neville also sang several songs, doing her Louis Armstrong imitation..

Next, the Shannon Powell All Stars began the set as a drummer less quartet, with Steve Lands returning on trumpet, the ebullient trombonist from the Preservation Hall band whose name escapes me, Peter Harris on bass, and Kyle Rousell on piano. After one number, it is announced that Shannon Powell is ill and Herlin Riley is his stand in. There follows an unusual combination of modern jazz and traditional New Orleans jazz that, with Herlin Riley on the drum kit, swings so hard it hurts.  I should note that Kyle Rousell is yet another outstanding New Orleans jazz pianist.

Closing  out the day at Snug Harbor again, this tine to see trumpeter Ashlin Parker's Quartet perform. Amina Scottt reappears on bass. She is really good. The other two group members are new to me. This was a lengthy (over ninety minute) and highly enjoyable set. 

That is all. I would definitely consider returning in a future year.

Edited by kh1958

Yesterday I was thinking of meeting some of my fellow musicians and a club owner to discuss some stuff and since there was - as is every night - a live show scheduled I thought to listen to one set. 
The group of that night was a Laura Dubin Trio. 
I must admit I hadn´t heard about here before. 

Well I left after some tunes since I must say sincerly that Laura Dubin does not seem to be my style. 
She must have a very good classical trained technique, holds the fingers in the classical position and plays some kind of chamber jazz with classical elements in it, and very very much piano, only once there was space for a bass solo, the only time I clapped, and the drums also had more a time keeping role, so it seems it was jazz  played for people, who like that kind of jazz, fans of the old Oscar Peterson Trios who seldom listen to else "jazz". So even the audience was more unknown to me, I didn´t see familiar faces. 

Well, nice try, she was more hosting the whole things, just too much talking between tunes, that had very much rococo-or classic elements. I don´t know her, I wish here a lotta success with what she does, she sure attracts an audience....

Last night explosive 70 minute set from Tim Berne with Greg Belisle-Chi, John Hebert & Tom Rainey. Rainey 10 days from a hip replacement destroyed atoms. Not a better drummer on the planet. I’m blessed to see him as often as I do. Probably 25 times the last 2 years at least. There is no one like him. Best brush player on the planet. They played a Hemphill piece they never played before and a new Berne piece that went to places I’ve never heard before. Closed with Clandestine B which in an alternate universe would make Tim Berne famous. 

previous 3 shows last week ok to very good

Brandon Ross with Charlie Burnham & Warren Benbow B plus / Benbow lacking in energy & dynamics. Burnham was brilliant with a minor quibble using a bit too much reverb & processing but the dude remains a truly great improvisor. 

Kris Davis with Ingrid Laubrock & Tom Rainey B minus / compositions too restricting 

Brandon Ross with Stomu Takeishi & Qasim Naqvi B / all acoustic Stomu the highlight 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, a rare morning concert from Dr. L. Subramaniam at Windmills in The Colony (far North Dallas). The nature of the group/performance was unclear in the advertisements (Indian classical? Jazz?). It turned out to be a jazz group. L Subramaniam was amazing on violin. The musicians in the group (guitar, keyboards, bass guitar, drums and two percussionists) were unfamiliar to me, except the guitarist I heard with Christian McBride at the Big Ears festival this year. The group was terrific, as were the compositions  performed, including John Handy's Spanish Lady. Great sound in the club as well. The concert was thrilling.

Afterwards in the afternoon, to the Lewisville Grand Theater for some Indian Classical Music from Carnatic veena master Vid. Rajeswari Pariti. Accompanied by a second veena player (her son) and a percussionist, she was pretty awesome on the veena. Another winner.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yesterday, a rare morning concert from Dr. L. Subramaniam at Windmills in The Colony (far North Dallas). The nature of the group/performance was unclear in the advertisements (Indian classical? Jazz?). It turned out to be a jazz group. L Subramaniam was amazing on violin. The musicians in the group (guitar, keyboards, bass guitar, drums and two percussionists) were unfamiliar to me, except the guitarist I heard with Christian McBride at the Big Ears festival this year. The group was terrific, as were the compositions  performed, including John Handy's Spanish Lady. Great sound in the club as well. The concert was thrilling.

Afterwards in the afternoon, to the Lewisville Grand Theater for some Indian Classical Music from Carnatic veena master Vid. Rajeswari Pariti. Accompanied by a second veena player (her son) and a percussionist, she was pretty awesome on the veena. Another winner.

That sounds like a pretty terrific day's music

Yesterday, the Riverfront Jazz Festival in the Dallas Convention Center, presented by the Dallas Black Academy of Arts and Letters..

As usual, it was primarily a smooth jazz/soul festival so I skipped most of it.

However, Sunday afternoon featured Stanley Jordan and Cassandra Wilson playing consecutive sets in the Bruton Theater within the Convention Center (nice venue).

Previously, I had only heard Stanley Jordan solo. This time he appeared with a trio with Kenwood Denard on drums. His set was excellent.

Cassandra Wilson appeared next, backed by two guitars, piano, bass and drums. This included guitarist Kelvyn Bell (I last saw him live in the 1980s with Arthur Blythe), bassist Lonnie Plaxico and drummer extraordinaire Herlin Riley. Her group was fantastic. And in addition, I believe I read some claim that Cassandra's voice was substantially diminished. This proved to be totally false; she still sounds very good. Her Repertoire included Blue Skies, Throw it Away, You Go to My Head, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Caravan, Saint James Infirmary  and a few others that I did not recognize.

So notwithstanding that most of the festival does not appeal to me, I have to thank TBAAL for the oportunity to hear these two excellent sets of live music in a pleasing setting with good sound.

I don't think there is a separate thread for live rock shows, so I'll just stick this here.  Squeeze has been actively touring North America, and they just played Massey Hall.  The English Beat (or rather the original lead singer from The English Beat and a good supporting cast) opened.  Squeeze are ridiculously tight, playing all the hits you would expect but actually taking them in (slightly) new directions and doing extended jams on about half of them.  Probably the best rock concert I've seen this year.  I'm very glad this rose well above the level of a Golden Oldies tour, at least in my view.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I am going to see Herbie Hancock tomorrow night.  I have no idea what he's doing.  The entire Headhunters album?  Chestnuts from his 1960s Blue Note albums?  Something else?  We'll see.  

He surveys his entire career. A mix of acoustic and electric playing (the majority of the time he is on acoustic piano).

The only part I found dreadful was when he used the vocoder.

Saw Herbie last night.  Nosebleed balcony seats, five tiny stick figures on stage.  Turns out the trumpet player was Terrance Blanchard.  Who knew?  Overall, the set - a single set - had what I would characterize as a 70s jazz vibe.  Herbie was on a grand piano for most of the set, but also had keyboards.  Highlights included the opening overture, as he called it, and closing with "Chameleon," on which Herbie played the keytar.  The guitarist was using a lot of crazy effects throughout.  

Downsides were that it was way louder than it needed to be, even in the balcony, and the grand piano sounded kind of harsh.  With my earplugs in, the piano sounded like a Wurlitzer electric piano in the middle register.

It was one of the more diverse crowds I've seen at a concert in recent years.  

So many great shows lately but the best was Craig Taborn, Mette Rasmussen & Ches Smith this past Saturday night. 55 minutes cut into 4 pieces of improvised “free jazz”

Mette is one of the greatest alto saxophonists I’ve ever seen

Taborn with Tomeka Reid & Ches was also great albeit much different being compositionally based with electronics from both Craig & Ches with Ches’ effects being much more effective. Tomeka was marvelous although she could have been a bit louder. Same went for Taborn in the trio with Mette as the sound of his piano was adjusted too late in the set. Quibbles. Blessed to see both from 5 feet away at The Stone

15 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

So many great shows lately but the best was Craig Taborn, Mette Rasmussen & Ches Smith this past Saturday night. 55 minutes cut into 4 pieces of improvised “free jazz”

Mette is one of the greatest alto saxophonists I’ve ever seen

Taborn with Tomeka Reid & Ches was also great albeit much different being compositionally based with electronics from both Craig & Ches with Ches’ effects being much more effective. Tomeka was marvelous although she could have been a bit louder. Same went for Taborn in the trio with Mette as the sound of his piano was adjusted too late in the set. Quibbles. Blessed to see both from 5 feet away at The Stone

Noticed this one on Instagram, that's a strong ensemble. I'm looking forward to hearing that record, though it appears to be vinyl-only unfortunately?

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Noticed this one on Instagram, that's a strong ensemble. I'm looking forward to hearing that record, though it appears to be vinyl-only unfortunately?

Yes it is vinyl only. I’m seeing them again in Philly in early October

Mette also playing with Glass Triangle in the next few weeks with Zeena Parkins & Ryan Sawyer as she’s in town for about a month. 

Yesterday, the Jon Lloyd Quartet featuring John Law on piano, at Pizza Express Soho.

Lloyd sounding great playing the ECM inspired music of his "comeback" album. 

25 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Frank Basile, Steve Fishwick, Robbie Ellison quintet at the Parrakeet London NW5, haven’t seen Frank Basile before. 

I only know Fishwick of those names I think. I need to get to the Parakeet at some point.

On 9/14/2024 at 7:17 AM, jlhoots said:

Dave Holland Quartet (Kris Davis, Jaleel Shaw, Nasheet Waits)

I caught them here in Phoenix last night, at the Musical Instrument Museum, fantastic show!  I came away impressed with both Shaw and Waits.  Kris Davis was solid, but didn't really stand out, performance wise, IMO.  And Dave was fantastic.

edit - for those that haven't been to the MIM, it's an amazing museum, easily Smithsonian caliber.  They have the oldest guitar in existence (dating from 1590), and a Chinese drum that's more than 6,000 years old.  Plus Eric Dolphy's sax, Thelonious Monk's piano, Buddy Rich's drum set, Gerry Mulligan's baritone sax, and Lionel Hampton's vibraharp.  Too many other things to mention.

Edited by Aggie87