What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/10/2024 at 5:59 PM, Jason Bivins said:

I always thought the Chameleons were really underrated.

Big teenage band for me. Especially because they are very good music to listen to whilst walking around a city on a rainy night. Recommend.

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 6/11/2024 at 3:25 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

She also said that there was no table for your drink. Instead, you have to hold it in your hand the whole show (note - they have a two drink minimum). To add insult, they no longer have a waitstaff, so good luck getting that 2nd drink that you prepaid for up front.

Sounds like an oasis of wellbeing 🥵 ....

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How was The Boss?

Impressive performance. 74 years old, 190 minutes, no interruption. 57,000 people. Very decent sound for huge footbal stadium. Several strings of classics (pre-'Born in the USA') across the concert, more than in previous gigs from the tour. The band was in excellent shape, and Springsteen's stage presence and charisma is still unsurpassed. His voice suffered in the second part of the concert but he gave it all, as usual (he even finished the concert by himself, his voice and guitar).

31 years have elapsed since I first attended a Bruce Springsteen concert (May 5, 1993, Vicente Calderón stadium, Madrid)... and singing out loud 'Thunder Road' or 'The River' still brings tears to my eyes!

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Impressive performance. 74 years old, 190 minutes, no interruption. 57,000 people. Very decent sound for huge footbal stadium. Several strings of classics (pre-'Born in the USA') across the concert, more than in previous gigs from the tour. The band was in excellent shape, and Springsteen's stage presence and charisma is still unsurpassed. His voice suffered in the second part of the concert but he gave it all, as usual (he even finished the concert by himself, his voice and guitar).

31 years have elapsed since I first attended a Bruce Springsteen concert (May 5, 1993, Vicente Calderón stadium, Madrid)... and singing out loud 'Thunder Road' or 'The River' still brings tears to my eyes!

Thanks, I can hear it now, sounds great.  Good to hear he's still playing some of the early tunes too. There's very little like a Springsteen live show.  My last one was also a football stadium, Villa Park in Birmingham, 1988. 

Saturday night, the Billy Harper Quintet at Steve's Wine Bar in Denton. Francesca Tanksley on piano, Freddie Hendrix on trumpet, Dezron Douglas on bass, and Aaron Scott on drums. A somewhat distracting place with subpar sound.

Sunday night: Billy Harper Quintet at the Stateside Theater in Austin. Much better sound, and a nice venue. Great concert. They played in the first set: Priestess, Love on the Sudan (fantastic), and Soran-Bushi, B.H.

There followed a question and answer session with Billy Harper and his group.

Concluding with a short second set: Thoughts and Slow Actions (mostly an utterly gorgeous tenor and piano duet) and Insights.

Glad I took the trouble to go to Austin, as the Sunday venue was vastly superior.

26 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

On Sunday, June 16th, I saw Arturo O'Farrill and the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra at Birdland.

They played the entire Afro-Cuban Jazz Suite.

How cool is THAT!?!  I'm jealous!!!  😉

On 6/17/2024 at 2:08 PM, kh1958 said:

Sunday night: Billy Harper Quintet at the Stateside Theater in Austin. Much better sound, and a nice venue. Great concert.

Sounds terrific.  Wish I could've been there.

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

How cool is THAT!?!  I'm jealous!!!  😉

They have had this gig on Sunday nights for nearly 30 years.  Try to go next time you are in NY.  

Arturo strikes me as a very sweet and humble guy.  He seems genuinely moved that all these people come out to see them every weekend. 

International
Music
Creators +
Collaborators
Workshop
CONCERT SCHEDULE
Monday, June 24 @ 8:30 pm: Faculty Concert
with Angelica Sanchez (piano), Kris Davis (piano),
Dave Holland (bass), Billy Hart (drums) and Jeff Parker (guitar)
Tuesday, June 25 @ 8:30 pm: IMCCW Student Concert
featuring Taylor Ho Bynum (cornet) and the 'Conduction Ensemble'
Thursday, June 27 @ 8:30 pm: Faculty Concert
with Angelica Sanchez (piano), Kris Davis (piano),
Terri Lyne Carrington (drums), Christina Hunte (dance),
Larry Grenadier (bass), Billy Hart (drums) and Jeff Parker (guitar)
Friday, June 28 @ 5 & 8 pm: IMCCW Student Ensemble Concert
Bay Road, Bard College, Redhook NY 1257
SUGGESTED DONATION $20

https://longwoodgardens.org/events-performances/events/ruth-naomi-floyd-presents-frederick-douglass-jazz-works

Ruth Naomi Floyd concert and Q&A about Frederick Douglass last night at Longwood Gardens.  Her group included Keith Loftus on tenor and soprano (she raved about him to me a couple weeks ago, and was right - I'm not familiar with him otherwise)  James Weidman on piano, Matthew Parrish on bass (he's spectacular), and Mark Prince on drums.  Ruth wrote all of the music.  Pretty spectacular.  Ruth was my wife's housemate before we got married, has gone on to do amazing work in the jazz field here and in Europe over the past 30 years.  Musicians who have played in her groups include Craig Handy, Bobby Zankel, Bryan Carrott, Uri Caine, Ed Howard, Charles Fambrough, Terri Lynn Carrington, and others.

6 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tonight in about an hour:

8:00 set:

Tim Berne, Gregg Belisle-Chi, John Hebert, Aurora Nealand & Tom Rainey

9:30 set:

Tim, Gregg & Tom

Saw Tim, Gregg & Tom about 3 months ago here in SF ... in a bookstore! Great set, and obviously very intimate.

bern.jpg

Last evening, Mokoomba at District 121 in McKinney. Great band, with a wonderful lead guitarist (Trustworth Samende) and a vocalist with an amazing vocal instrument and who sings in a mere six languages (Mathias Muzaza). Unfortunately, an outdoor concert (it's hot in Texas at the end of June), but a rare opportunity to hear this group all the way from Zimbabwe up close.

Next weekend Friday through Sunday it is the Swanage Festival, Dorset again here in the UK - Looking forward to it, Greg Abate is back (hopefully selling more if his CDs) and there is a varied and good lineup including the likes of Norma Winstone, Henry Lowther's Still Waters and Art Themen's Organ Group. Young saxophonist Emma Rawicz is leading her jazz orchestra, looking forward to that one in particular.

Edited by sidewinder

41 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Sounds a good line up. More jazz than Cheltenham. Hope the Gulf Stream changes direction before then!

Loads of good stuff scheduled - Tony Kofi, Clark Tracey, Gary Crosby plays 'Mingus Moves', Barnes/Newton, Nigel Price, Zoe Rahman, Lianne Carroll. As well as the Mowlem Theatre they are back to 2 marquees near the seafront this year, a welcome development.

Personally I think Cheltenham has lost it - caters largely these days for Cotswolds loadsamonies who are not into jazz and the jazz content such as it is seems to be focused on the Parabola Arts Centre. Haven't attended for years. A shame also that Bath these days seems to have totally lost interest in its Jazz Weekend as part of the Bath Fest - the Cotswolds £ effect again I think. Back in the glory days it was Cheltenham, Bath and Swanage in quick succession.

Edited by sidewinder

Chuck-How was East Axis?  They appear at The Falcon in Malboro NY at end of month.

Last Night, Sun Ra Arkestra outside last night at Opus 40 in Saugerties.  90 degrees and both the audience and the band were hot!!!

This coming Monday night (Hopefully): Billy Harper Quintet outside at Bushnell Park, Hartford CT. 

This coming Tuesday night: Alexa Tarantino at Zankel Hall at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY

Last night at Beautiful World Syndicate in Philadelphia 

Michael Foster, Webb Crawford & Joey Sullivan

Sakina Abdou, Camila Nebbia & Chuck Roth

as great as the tenor/soprano, guitar & drums trio was, the second set with Sakina on tenor & alto, Camila on tenor and the *great* Chuck Roth on guitar was incendiary and genius level improvising of the highest order. Camila Nebbia is a great tenor saxophonist. What a sound. 

two different kettles of fish but the drummerless trio hit me very hard last night. 

I’ve seen Chuck play a whole lot over the past 14 months. New levels playing the guitar unlike anyone I’ve ever heard. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Sunday night at the Balcony Club with the Jonathan Fisher Trio plus Shelley Carrol. They play such a beautiful version of Love Theme from Apache (masterfully recorded by Coleman Hawkins on his impulse release, Today and Now).

Edited by kh1958

I was supposed to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse but some people in the band got sick and several dates were cancelled.  Interestingly, Steve Earle was in town on the same night, doing a solo show, and I managed to get tickets to see him instead.  Some good stories interspersed with his set. 

This past Saturday, Sun Ra Arkestra at Opus 40 statutory park in Saugerties, NY.

Last night, Billy Harper Quintet at the Bushnell Park in Hartford, CT. 

Both outdoors-90 degrees and humid!!!

This evening-Alexa Tarantino Quintet at Zankel Hall, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY. Thankfully, this one will be inside.