What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Henry Threadgill is at the Jazz Gallery on Thursday.

Thanks for this but I didn't pick it up until today so I've missed the opportunity to see one of my favourite jazzmen. What a shame!

Anyway, The Ethan Iverson Trio were excellent at Small's, although Mr Iverson seemed a bit in awe of his sidemen (Buster Williams and Ben Riley) and stuck to standards for the early set that I watched. I guess it must be really difficult being the junior partner playing with a couple of jazz legends.

Did you leave town? Henry Threadgill is actually at the Jazz Gallery tonight to Saturday. http://www.jazzgallery.org/live/

In case there is any confusion, Jazz Gallery is different from Jazz Standard. Jazz Gallery is a performance space (not a club like Jazz Standard) across from where the Half Note used to be located.

Edited by kh1958

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this but I didn't pick it up until today so I've missed the opportunity to see one of my favourite jazzmen. What a shame!

Anyway, The Ethan Iverson Trio were excellent at Small's, although Mr Iverson seemed a bit in awe of his sidemen (Buster Williams and Ben Riley) and stuck to standards for the early set that I watched. I guess it must be really difficult being the junior partner playing with a couple of jazz legends.

Did you leave town? Henry Threadgill is actually at the Jazz Gallery tonight to Saturday. http://www.jazzgallery.org/live/

In case there is any confusion, Jazz Gallery is different from Jazz Standard. Jazz Gallery is a performance space (not a club like Jazz Standard) across from where the Half Note used to be located.

Yes, I'm off to Washington DC tonight and then back to the UK on Monday.

Yes, I'm off to Washington DC tonight and then back to the UK on Monday.

That's the way it goes with visiting New York--there's always something great just before and just after your visit.

Wednesday saw Full Blast a Peter Brotzmann led formation with a heavy metal rhythm section, not so great a lot better was The Thing who brought along Joe MCPhee with them

Thursday saw Atomic starring Paal Nilssen-Love on drums, another outstanding evening

Tonight was in a different universe as I saw Band of Joy with Robert Plant, great band with Buddy miller and Patty Griffin among others

Tomorrow big day as the big jazz fest really starts with multiple concerts to attend.

Wish I could have seen Prince tonight but with tickets at 150 $ minimum , it's way out of my price range.

Last night, after a monthlong absence, Lucky Peterson is back at Tuckers this weekend. Three long sets last night--veering from jazz to blues to soul--lots of fantastic organ, piano and guitar from Lucky. Local blues singer Gregg Smith sits in for the third set

Saturday night once again (same percussionist tonight, but a different bassist and drummer), the Lucky and Tamara Peterson show at Tuckers--a three set extravaganza--organ grease, the funkiest keyboards on the planet, subtle lessons in blues guitar history, the most intense slide guitar this side of Elmore James (on Lucky's new Gibson flying V guitar, played through a small Marshall amp), original blues and soul songs, soul covers and popular song chestnuts made to sound fresh, special guests--all kept the small audience riveted through three long sets. Tonight's main guest was Cynthia Scott, a jazz singer on vacation apparently. A new name to me (she has a couple of Live at Birdland CDs), but she was charismatic and a fine singer and the interchange was inspiring. I had a blast, two nights in row. Now they are off to some farflung places.

Alan Barnes and John Hallam with the Vinnie Parker Trio at Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Great session from these multi-reedmen! The sound of the two baris was really something! Swinging Ellington numbers were often done with John on tenor and Alan on alto. The two clarinet numbers were less impressive IMO. Alan consumed a prodigious amount of beer during the evening, which seemed to stoke up both his humour and his playing! He really is a major jazz voice nowadays. Still the chameleon, though, his alto moving from Tab Smith through Johnny Hodges to Paul Desmond, according to the number being played. Note for Sidewinder: Not a hairpiece in sight :smirk:

barnes.jpg

Last night, at Smalls, Noah Preminger group--with Noah Preminger on tenor, Drew Sayers (?) tenor, Frank Kimbrough on piano, John Martin on bass and Victor Lewis on drums. This was excellent music--two fine tenors who blended very well--original material, ballads, three Ornette compositions, and a Monk. Wonderful piano and drums as well. I enjoyed alot.

Afterwards, I stayed to hear a bit of the next group--Josh Evans Quartet--Eric McPherson on drums I recognized--this was more in the traditional hard bop vein, but quite good--the leader sounds like a very promising trumpet player.

Yesterday, Ivo Perelman trio at The Stone. It was Perelman's tenor, with a bassist and a cellist. I would say the set was hot, but it was actually the Stone with no functioning air conditioning that was hot. The music (part of Clean Feed Jazz Festival) was okay; I would consider seeing him live again, but I had no desire to buy any of his CDs for sale.

Moving on to more comfortable surroundings, back to Smalls. In time for a couple of songs from the first group of the evening, before the main event, the Orin Evans group, with Orin Evans on piano, Mark Gross on alto, Marvin Sewell on guitar, Dwayne Burno on bass and Vince Ector on drums--I feel like lapsing into cliches--they blew the roof off the joint, the group was hot, burnin' smokin'--and it was. Fantastic two sets of music. The alto player was wonderful, Marvin Sewell played some terrific guitar, Evans is good, nice bassist--it was a great evening of music. They're at Smalls again on Saturday.

Yesterday,

an afternoon concert at Smalls, Melissa Aldana. She has her first release on Greg Osby's label, and the label website quotes Mr. Osby's high praise of her abilities. A very young woman from Chile, she has an utterly gorgeous tenor sound--I found her to be a very compelling player.

I returned to Smalls later, and caught a set by the Mike Fahn Quartet. A valve trombonist, playing with guitar, bass and drums, this was a swinging mainstream group--a nice set.

Next, the Orin Evans group return--more of the same exciting music as the prior evening. Mark Gross is one fiery alto player.

kh1958, I got to see some of those shows you mentioned the past few nights at Smalls via there live video stream. I wish I had the opportunity to see the Dmitry Baevsky show Friday night but we had company here at the house. One of these days, I have to attend a show. Looks like a great place.

Edited by Tom 1960

So I made it to the Vancouver Jazz Fest as planned.

It was fun just hanging around in the park, even though the free acts (while I was there) were not jazz at all.

I was pretty psyched to see I could get $5 tickets to see Ingrid Laubrock and Kris Davis with drummer Tyshawn Sorey. I recognized Laubrock from BBC jazz programs. Anyway, I didn't like it at all. It was far too free for me -- moreso than what I had heard on the radio. And the drummer seemed to take his cues from The Bad Plus. It was really out there rock drumming, complete with some gratitous tossing of sticks. I don't think I would have liked a Laubrock/Davis duo either, but the drummer really made it impossible for me to enjoy.

I thought Atomic was good, though still challenging. One oddball in the front kept trying to dance to them but the tempos kept changing. In a different thread, there was some discussion of Mingus' legacy. I would say in an odd way, they really do seem in keeping with Mingus's later compositions, pushed slightly in the free jazz tradition. In part because the bass is relatively prominent, and most pieces have at least three tempo shifts. The 7 o'clock show was basically sold out, but the 9 o'clock must have been very light as we were all invited back (gratis) to see the 9 o'clock show. This was somewhat tempting, but as I am exhausted from the plane ride and have to go meet my new boss tomorrow morning, I decided to pass.

Assuming all goes well, I should be able to see pretty much the whole Vancouver jazz fest next summer.

kh1958, I got to see some of those shows you mentioned the past few nights at Smalls via there live video stream. I wish I had the opportunity to see the Dmitry Baevsky show Friday night but we had company here at the house. One of these days, I have to attend a show. Looks like a great place.

Its become my favorite club. First, it's reasonably priced--$20 admission, and you can see two or three bands, plus there's no minimum. The bookings seem to have become alot more diverse than they used to be (I think this may have to do with Spike Willner taking over in the last couple of years). It's a great place to discover new artists. The sound there is excellent--what I like about it is that only the piano is directly miked. No mikes for the horns, and they sound balanced, clear and natural. And finally, the people who work there are really nice and friendly. I definitely recommend a visit.

Tonight, to Le Poisson Rouge to see Doom Jazz (Bobby Previte and Jamie Saft). This was some rather extreme improvised music--very loud--I must say I hated the venue--the sound was not good, plus it was a standing event--the place was packed (Doom Jazz was only the unbilled opening act)--in another place, with better sound, a little less volume, and chairs, I would have really enjoyed this set. After it was over, I exited to let my ears recover a bit.

Later, I caught the last set of Rene Rosnes at the Village Vanguard.

Last Friday I saw Will Vinson at the Sunset in Paris. He's a British alto saxophonist from New York, and he was playing with Laurent Coq (excellent French pianist subbing for guitarist Lage Lund), Sean Fasciani on bass, and Jochen Rueckert on drums. I've seen Vinson before in Ari Hoenig's quartet. I've always liked him but I didn't realize quite how good he's become. He played his own compositions plus a standard or two and a couple of Monk tunes. He has a very charismatic personal tone, and swings hard while playing imaginative lines over rich and complex tunes. He sounded very spontaneous and well prepared, always the right combination, and managed to be always lyrical but with depths at time sardonic and edgy. I had a great time and will be picking up his CDs--I think he has two out now. He has personality... not your average modern jazz A-student with polished skills and no identity. Keep an eye out for him.

Probably:

10:00PM at the Hungry Brain, 2319 W Belmont, 773.709.1401

Premoticon/Swirm : Patrick Breiner, Will McEvoy, Brad Henkel, David Grollman

Karayorgis/Dijkstra Quintet : Jorrit Dijkstra, Jeb Bishop, Pandelis Karayorgis, Jason Roebke, Frank Rosaly

The Karayorgis/Dijkstra Quintet set was excellent I thought, with Nate McBride and Tim Daisy subbing for Roebke and Rosaly. A highlight was Jeb's arrangement of Steve Lacy's "Dutch Masters." What a fun piece, and they played the hell out of it. This was the third show in a week for this band, with the bass-drum team different each night (Roebke-Rosaly, Roebke-Daisy, and last night), and as strong as this set was, Jeb said that they were even better on one of the previous two gigs.

Last Friday I saw Will Vinson at the Sunset in Paris. He's a British alto saxophonist from New York, and he was playing with Laurent Coq (excellent French pianist subbing for guitarist Lage Lund), Sean Fasciani on bass, and Jochen Rueckert on drums. I've seen Vinson before in Ari Hoenig's quartet. I've always liked him but I didn't realize quite how good he's become. He played his own compositions plus a standard or two and a couple of Monk tunes. He has a very charismatic personal tone, and swings hard while playing imaginative lines over rich and complex tunes. He sounded very spontaneous and well prepared, always the right combination, and managed to be always lyrical but with depths at time sardonic and edgy. I had a great time and will be picking up his CDs--I think he has two out now. He has personality... not your average modern jazz A-student with polished skills and no identity. Keep an eye out for him.

I was impressed by Vinson on a recent album "Shadowless" by guitarist Jonathan Kreisberg (apparently Vinson is a member of Kreisberg's working band). "Always lyrical .... but sardonic and edgy" is what I heard, too. I'll look for some of Vinson's own stuff.

Clips of Kreisberg had impressed me (albeit he's a bit on the slick side), but he's into effects on several tracks, which I don't think works well for him. He's such an inherently "clean" player, perhaps a la Johnny Smith, that the effects seem rather pasted on.

I thought Atomic was good, though still challenging. One oddball in the front kept trying to dance to them but the tempos kept changing.

Oddball would be an euphemism, I can't imagine why the hell you'd dance to this rather challenging music, was tired just listening to it ...

Alankin's Law: there will be one (or more) oddball dancer at every concert.

Edited by alankin