Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua

Jim Alfredson

I picked this up back when Best Buy.com was having a huge $5 sale on all RCA Victor re-issues. Just popped it in again and little babykins likes it, as do I.

I read the thread about Desmond's influences. I haven't really listen to much Konitz nor do I really know who Pete Brown is, so to me Desmond sounds completely unique. I know that's not the case, but...

Is this one of the discs included on the Mosaic set? Jim Hall's work here is beautifully understated.

Yes, this one is on the Mosaic set. Some beautiful music on this one, I don't listen to it enough.

The lineup of RCA Victor albums included is:

'Take Ten'

'Bossa Antigua'

'Glad To Be Unhappy'

'Easy Living'

Theres also material from the Warner Bros 'First Place Again!' and one of the Playboy anthologies (Vol 3).

Edited by sidewinder

This is such a lovely album, on so many levels. The title track is worth the price of admission alone, and I love the chords that Hall plays in those two bars between Desmond’s solo and his own. And then there’s the lovely comping Hall does on “Ship Without a Sail,” and dig that hypnotizing coda! Beautiful!

Connie Kay swings so elegantly throughout this album (actually, on ALL the Desmond/Hall albums, but especially this one!).

Thanks for bringing this one up, Jim! As lovely and album to listen to on a nice autumn day such as it is today!

This is another Mosaic set that was perhaps put out too early - by this I mean that it was all over before a lot of people who would like to buy it knew about it. Must they really never issue a set again?

Other obvious ones in this category are the Jones-Lewis set, and the Larry Young.

This is another Mosaic set that was perhaps put out too early - by this I mean that it was all over before a lot of people who would like to buy it knew about it. Must they really never issue a set again?

Other obvious ones in this category are the Jones-Lewis set, and the Larry Young.

What you are saying is you were late to the game. Why blame Mosaic?

What you are saying is you were late to the game. Why blame Mosaic?

I have all of these.