Modern Rock - what do you like???

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm digging The Pony's new record "Turn Out the Lights," The Broken West "I Can't Go On, I'll Go On," the Sonic Youth comp of B-sides and unreleased tracks "The Destroyed Room," Robert Pollard's new ep "Silverfish Trivia," and last years self-titled Broken Social Scene record. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new Dinosaur Jr. record and The National "Boxer."

HINT: download SY shows from Fall 1988; as hot a studio album as it was, live... they were already dullsville. This is just embarassing tho' NOT as abjectly putrid as

I saw them on Goo and thought they were great, but I was pretty young at the time. I remember very clearly that they played Burning Spear and only a few songs off the (then new) record.

I'm digging The Pony's new record "Turn Out the Lights," The Broken West "I Can't Go On, I'll Go On," the Sonic Youth comp of B-sides and unreleased tracks "The Destroyed Room," Robert Pollard's new ep "Silverfish Trivia," and last years self-titled Broken Social Scene record. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new Dinosaur Jr. record and The National "Boxer."

What's the story on a new Dinosaur Jr.? I had no idea. This is going to be a good year for new releases, for me anyway.

Looking forward to hearing The National. I heard David Dye playing them the other week.

* Slint reunion-- one time only-- was fucking insipid. Pajo is witless/worthless in ALL contexts & if it's OK for the other jackoffs to cash-in... don't delude ya'llselves it was better-- or anywhere close to it-- than yr mom going to Billy Joel.

* Slint RE-Re-union-- in a world of ltd resources, 25% NYC poverty (40% Bronx) etc etc...

I was *shocked* when I found out how much Slint was getting per show. "Indie" ain't what it used to be...

I think what might be in SY's minds regarding the whole Daydream revival thing is that their art is as valid as, say, modern composition, and that presenting it in a similar way is therefore a reasonable (maybe even laudible) thing to do. If that's the rationalization, the fact that they are going to make a ton of cash of it doesn't hurt either.

Can't think of anything even vaguely resembling a rock act on the scene less than 20 yr who I actually like, closest would be Los Lobos who I respect and admire but only somewhat like...Jeez, now I feel old (I am old, but that's no reason to feel it...)

Add Tchad in there and we'll talk Latin Playboys too! Los Lobos have done some great things. Too bad everyone knows them by La Bamba.

My philosophy with food is that if other people are eating it and not getting sick, I'll give it a try (exceptions: brains, cat meat, dog meat and horse meat, all of which I've had the chance to try). I tried a sea urchin the other day and it almost made me throw up in my mouth, but hey, now I know and I'm none the worse for it. Life is short...

* WHY THE FUCK are they doing Daydream Nation again, now? & who are these nostalgia dorks soaking themselves over the proposition?

Uh, I thought that was a joke. I have no interest in hearing that... esp as I've gotten "older" find myself preferring pre-Sister material. Ironic, considering I was just a babe when that came out, and Goo was my first SY, freshman year of high school.

Some of my favorites are:

The Replacements (before Slim Dunlop joined the band, basically up to 'Pleased to Meet Me')

The Strokes

The The (up to Mind Bomb)

They Might be Giants (great live)

Dead Milkmen (definitely entertaining live)

Cake

Whadda you recommend by Cake?

Some of my favorites are:

The Replacements (before Slim Dunlop joined the band, basically up to 'Pleased to Meet Me')

The Strokes

The The (up to Mind Bomb)

They Might be Giants (great live)

Dead Milkmen (definitely entertaining live)

Cake

Whadda you recommend by Cake?

Their first one, Fashion Nugget is an absolute must.

Never listed to Dino Jr, but the word on the streets is that the new one in quite nice. No chance of you being disappointed.

I checked out the reunion Sebadoh gig with Eric Gaffney in Austin recently. Strong stuff... that is, when Gaffney was fronting the bit. Lou can suck it.

I like Dino, but feel that after Green Mind, shit went in the toilet. Hopefully the bombast and energy can be reclaimed.

Slovenly was a pretty awesome band. I never really gave The Lazy Cowrgirls or the Divine Horsemen much of a chance back then - I wasn't quite so "sophisticated" in my taste as an early teen and was a little put off by the divirse influences. If I ever see one of their records at a friend's house I'll throw it on.

It's been YEARS since I heard this group, so don't take this as a current endorsement, but back in the day the lesser-known SST band that I was really into was Bl'Ast.

Clem -- nope, born and bred in Dallas, TX. So my "indie / underground / alternative / callitwachawanna" "rock" reference points were bands like Scratch Acid, Butthole Surfers, early Flaming Lips (the one cool thing we would concede to OK), The Mike Gunn (Houston) and a whole raft of DFW groups like Loco Gringos, Shallow Reign, Mildred, Bedhead, Hash Palace, Lithium Xmas, The Buck Pets and any number of other going concerns that have faded from my civic memory.

Anyway, Slovenly... they, along with Saccharine Trust (and gittarist Joe Baiza's later Universal Congress Of), remain for me among the most consistently interesting members of the classic SST roster. Maybe its that both bands were open to studio experimentation and could truly improvise (i.e., improvise in a non-jamming / noodle rock fashion). But I think it has a lot to do with each band's lyricists -- Anderson and Plowman for Slovenly; Brewer for the Trust -- the likes of which you don't encounter much anymore. (OK, OK, sometimes they just spout poetry that should have stayed shut inside their journals.) Uniquely declamatory; not quite hardcore bellowing, yet not quite "singing" either.

We became snakes, indeed.

Edited by Joe

OMG... Izzat John Criswell in talking head mode?!?!?!

I grew up off Lower Greenville (across the street from Robert E. Lee Elementary School). Spent quite a few ducats at VVV on Reagan-era Saturday mornings. Damn, that takes me back.

And yeah the TX Instruments were another favorite.

Edited by Joe