Modern Rock - what do you like???

Aside from a few exceptions, the 80's had just as much horrible pop music as any other decade.

Phil Collins anyone?

A Flock Of Seagulls (gag)

Pat Benatar (Love is a Battlefield alright...and a terrible song)

Men Without Hats (aka Men Without Balls)

Culture Club...Do you really wanna hurt me? Why yes, I would! How about standing in front of my car.

Tears For Fears - Shout, Shout, puke it all out, Tears For Fears I can do without, Come On!

Everybody Fucking WANG CHUNG tonight!!!!!

...I could go on, and on, and on...

However, I do agree with one item. The Power Station kicked ass! Now if they had just stayed together and Duran Duran could have fallen off the face of the earth...

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from a few exceptions, the 80's had just as much horrible pop music as any other decade.

Phil Collins anyone?

A Flock Of Seagulls (gag)

Pat Benatar (Love is a Battlefield alright...and a terrible song)

Men Without Hats (aka Men Without Balls)

Culture Club...Do you really wanna hurt me? Why yes, I would! How about standing in front of my car.

Tears For Fears - Shout, Shout, puke it all out, Tears For Fears I can do without, Come On!

Everybody Fucking WANG CHUNG tonight!!!!!

...I could go on, and on, and on...

However, I do agree with one item. The Power Station kicked ass! Now if they had just stayed together and Duran Duran could have fallen off the face of the earth...

Dude -- I don't know you! The 80's rule! :P

ok now youve really gone 2 far. phil is the man. i listen to phil almost as much as i listen to coleman hawkins. i love phil that much.

Phil? Phil Who? Phil Collins?

You should move to Schleswig-Holstein. Officially declared "Phil Collins Zone".

Sadly their radio transmits across borders.

ok now youve really gone 2 far. phil is the man. i listen to phil almost as much as i listen to coleman hawkins. i love phil that much.

Hey, that's cool...if Phil floats your boat it's all good. He just doesn't happen to float mine, it sank. I can tolerate some of the Genesis material like ABACAB but have never liked the solo material.

87 was one of my favorite rock years ever. Sonic Youth "Sister," Dinosaur Jr. "You're Living All Over Me," Butthole Surfers "Locust Abortion Technician," The Pixies "Come On Pilgrim," Big Black "Songs About Fucking," Pere Ubu "The Tenement Year," just to name a few of the records I was spinning.

Today I got the latest Mission of Burma "The Obliterati," which has gotten great reviews. Also, "Reveille" by art punks Deerhoof, and used copies of Th' Faith Healers "lido" and "Something About Airplanes" by Death Cab for Cutie.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I thought the 2nd Stone Roses album was pretty good, too. It had some Yardbirds overtones that I liked.

SECOND COMING was a big disappointment when it came out, but I find it's gotten better with age. It's more overtly derivative than the first album (or the B-sides around the time of the first album, many of them brilliant in their own way--"Standing Here" is one that comes to mind immediately), but it's harder & darker & surprisingly--for me, I mean--the record of theirs I return to the most these days. That may just be because I played the first one oh, about 573,691 times or so.

Anybody else notice that there's a new Replacements anthology out that combines both the Twin Tone and Warner eras--and that has two new songs recorded by the reunited 'Mats?

Has there ever been a worse release from a major band that The Shit Hits the Fan? It was a cassette only release, I bought it and it was nothing but the 'Mats being drunk, playing covers timing in at one minute! :tdown:tdown

Has there ever been a worse release from a major band that The Shit Hits the Fan? It was a cassette only release, I bought it and it was nothing but the 'Mats being drunk, playing covers timing in at one minute! :tdown:tdown

Yes. Cut The Crap by the The Clash is waaaaaaaay worse (though I actually kind of like those drunken 'Mats shows, at least if I'm in the right mood.) My vinyl of the post-Jones Clash album is in mint shape. Tried it again a few years ago and I find few redeeming qualities. Back into the shelf it went.

I'd also say the last 2 R.E.M. albums are worse, but seeing as I didn't buy them I can't thoroughly testify to their crapulence.

Anybody else notice that there's a new Replacements anthology out that combines both the Twin Tone and Warner eras--and that has two new songs recorded by the reunited 'Mats?

I heard one of the new songs while driving a few weeks ago. It premiered on ESPN sports radio on the Jim Rhome Show (pure dumb luck that I caught it.) I think the one I heard was written long ago and Paul saved it just in case.

Here's a recent short Newsweek interview.

Hey, that's cool...if Phil floats your boat it's all good. He just doesn't happen to float mine, it sank. I can tolerate some of the Genesis material like ABACAB but have never liked the solo material.

Count me in as an Abacab fan though I don't like the Genesis albums after that one.

Phil's 1st solo album isn't terrible.

Guy

c6471384tie.jpg

I gotta pay my respect to Morphine, a very unique band and a tragic loss when Mark Sandman passed away. They proved that a baritone sax can propel a rock band as well as a guitar.

All their albums are worth seeking out. Check out the song "Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer" off of "The Night" for a GREAT party song.

"...by the time we put the Al Green on, the bottle was gone."

• 2 weeks later...

Did I mention Fountains of Wayne?

BruceH, you took the words right out of my mouth.

In fact, I think that both of us already did.

Not sure if I mentioned Drive-By Truckers yet. Crazy Horse fans would be well-advised to check 'em out...

(Their album titles include Pizza Deliverance and Southern Rock Opera.)