Max Roach Mosaic

Leeway

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I missed out on the Roach Mosaic long ago (and am in the market for one now btw, on CD)…

Meanwhile, as I’m trying to figure out the contents to try and buy more of what’s in it as singles, I just stumbled on this copy of the Mosaic liners discography…

https://www.ejazzlines.com/mc_files/2/MO-201.pdf

I’m ashamed to say I have little of this set in my collection, so I’m trying to wrap my head around what the individual albums were — and what CD’s I need to be on the lookout for (in terms of the reissues with the most bonus material, etc).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Sadly I missed out on the Roach Mosaic long ago (and am in the market for one now btw, on CD)…

Meanwhile, as I’m trying to figure out the contents to try and buy more of what’s in it as singles, I just stumbled on this copy of the Mosaic liners discography…

I’m ashamed to say I have little of this set in my collection, so I’m trying to wrap my head around what the individual albums were — and what CD’s I need to be on the lookout for (in terms of the reissues with the most bonus material, etc).

The first two I would search for are Max Roach +4 (with Rollins/Dorham) and The Max Roach 4 Play Charlie Parker (Dorham/Mobley or Coleman). These are both tremendous records with everyone in peak form. "Jazz in 3/4 Time" is not as strong or consistent overall, though Rollins plays his ass off, especially on "Valse Hot," where he's wilder and more creative than on the original version on his own record a year earlier. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I went through the same process last year and ended up buying one from Discogs for a total of $155 incl shipping.  (The original price was $112 plus whatever shipping cost then.)

I also considered digital download and I guess decided on the hard copy in order to get the book.  You can get cd quality files from Qobuz and Presto.  Presto has flac files for $75.25.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy