Slide Hampton

Late

hampto_slid_fabulouss_101b.jpg

or

B000065BS8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Same thing. (Haven't heard the Japanese edition, though.)

What a great album. Recorded in 1969 in Paris, with Joachim Kühn, Neils-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, and Philly Joe Jones. Ever wonder what it would be like to have a trombonist dropped down into the middle of Coltrane's group, minus Coltrane, playing "Impressions"? This session comes somewhat close to that, at least in feel. The opener, "Emergency Blues," is a minor-mode burner, and Hampton lays into the proceedings with everything he's got. It's also great to hear Jones at this time: he hasn't missed step — perhaps has absorbed a fair amount of Elvin, but is still Philly Joe. Kühn, to my ears, is coming out of a deep Bley/Friedman bag (though "singing" like Jarrett all the while), and adds some in-your-face tension to the setting, while Pedersen walks an aggressive line throughout.

Here are some sound samples. Any other fans of this one?

some have criticised the sound of the" Americans..." French Cd , it's hard sounding but acceptable enough, I love this hard swinging session.

rip a wav and take a look, it looks really awful, clipped like a poodle.

It somehow slipped passed me to get this one; did get some others from this series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I can't find the thread dedicated to this reissue series, "Americans Swinging in Paris" (EMI) - I know there was one, but a board search finds nothing and a google search while finding a thread only comes through as broken link... the search function continues to suck*!

*) phrase searches or title only searches or "+XX +YY" searches only deliver a small part of what should be found!

Can't say I liked the sound on this one. I'll give it another play.

The EMI/Americans Swinging CD reissue?

American's Swinging CD. To close and hard sounding, but not as unpleasant as I remembered. Nevertheless some exciting playing from Slide, Kuhn's 'singing' is a turn off.

Can't say I liked the sound on this one. I'll give it another play.

The EMI/Americans Swinging CD reissue?

American's Swinging CD. To close and hard sounding, but not as unpleasant as I remembered. Nevertheless some exciting playing from Slide, Kuhn's 'singing' is a turn off.

Thanks for checking it again - I hope this one comes through. Slide is an undersung musician, I still remember listening to this disc in a store when the whole series came out and I loved it... totally forgot about checking up on their status in time, but I hope it's not too late yet.