RIP Bob "Bubba" Grundner

Jim Alfredson

Bob "Bubba" Grundner passed away on Saturday night, October 2nd, 2004 at the age of 48 after losing his battle with lung cancer after about 2 years.

Bubba was a great drummer here in Lansing and a very humble, funny, and kind person. I had the pleasure of playing with him numerous Monday nights at the Green Door Lounge as part of the Blue Avenue Delegates for the better part of 2 years when I was first learning my shit on the Hammond. He was always gracious, always smiling, and always swingin'.

He moved to Nashville in the mid-90s and did pretty well. He's on a record by Dolly Parton (Hungry Again from 1998 I belive) but found that the pace and lifestyle of that scene was too much.

Just this past July I recorded him with my mentor Doug Decker on Hammond and Steve Frarey (Joe's first jazz teacher) on guitar here in my home studio. He loved the sound of the organ trio and wanted to document his playing with one, since he knew he wouldn't be around much longer. He played most of the session with an oxygen mask on, but still swung like crazy. It was a real pleasure to be a part of that session.

RIP Bob Grundner. You were a fantastic musician and a real beautiful soul. You will be missed.