Blue Note 10" lp's

Bill Fenohr

I have been making facimiles of the 10" Blue Notes and need some info on playing sequence on three of them. I have all the tracks,but do not have a clue on the running order.

The albums are:

Gigi Gryce vol 3 BN-5051

Gil Melle vol 3 BN-5063

Jay Jay Johnson vol 3 BN5070

Im hoping some of the old timers on the board my have the originals or the various reissues that have come out through the years.

I also have a few questons on back liner notes. As many of you know some of the 10"ers had essay notes and others had generic backs that advertised the rest of the catolog. The earliest essay back i have found is #5018. Does anyone know of anything earlier ?

Also were there essay liners for Elmo Hope Trio #5029, Gil Melle vo 1 and vol 3? What sort of backs did the three Miles Davis and three Jay Jay Johnson voumes have ?

Now for the begging part. There are four of the 10"ers i dont have. They are:

BN-5005 James Moody w. Strings

BN-5019 New Sounds From The Old World

BN-5052 New Sounds From Ole England

BN-5061 The Swingin' Fats Saudi

If anyone has these who would be willing to make me a burn or if the material for them is scattered on cd, if you can steer me in the right direction i would be in your debt.

Thanks in advance for any help.

has any of that leased material on the four 10"s Bill mentions ever been rereleased in complete form? I know the Moody was released on a Vogue CD paired with Frank Foster material, but it was incomplete. I would very much like to hear the Hodeir arrangements for strings.

You'll have quite a time finding these, Bill. Hope you are successful.

I heard that these LPs are kinda noisy. Have you found that to be the case? (I've never even seen a live one, only pictures.)

I loved your "Fats Saudi"!! :D I think we have all had far too much recent politics and world news! Time for a break.

couw,

Im think you may have mentioned this in another thread, but if Classics ever brings out the next Moody volume, the strings session should be on it. I think the last volume ended just a couple of months before the Vouge session. Lets hope.

On the other three all i know is on the Sounds From The Old World that the four tracks by The Swinin' Swedes was from Cupol Records and BN put out the four tracks as an EP besides being part of that album.

On the British stuff, some of it was from Esquire and some of it was from Atlantic-Golden Bell and it all had something to do with the Melody Maker Magizine poll winners.

The Sadi was from Vouge.

Edited by Bill Fenohr

shrdlu

The only two i actually had to transfer from record were the two Best Of The West volumes and they were from 1970's UA reissues, so the surfaces were fine, but i must say that even back then the tapes were starting to show some problems.

All the other material has been on cd either from BN, Vouge or Classics in the case of the Erroll Garner material and one James Moody track.

there's an original Vogue copy of the Sadi for sale here.

120 EUR is A LOT of money

But it's a very rare item.

I will be mad forever at BMG they didn't include that in their Vogue reissue series a few years ago - would have been a perfect match for the Solal-Sadi sessions. This is a case where I certainly would not blame certain Spanish labels ...

Thanks Mike

I was wondering myself, since i could not find a cover for 5051, and one of the songs that was listed as being on the album does not have Gigi in the band.

I was also able to get the track sequence for the Melle vol 3.

So its just down to the track sequence on the JJ vol 3.

So its just down to the track sequence on the JJ vol 3.

The Japanese 'The Complete Blue Note Book' from Jazz Critique (1987, vol. 2) lists the following sequence for this JJ 10 incher:

Daily Double, Pennies from Heaven, You're Mine You, Groovin', Portrait of Jennie, Viscosity

Thanks again Brownie. I have that Blue Note book and i have to tell you that on the vast majority of the 10"ers,there track listings are wrong. They ofcourse have the right songs,but not in the right order.

The best source i found were old Down Beat reviews. They list the songs in there proper order. The problem with the JJ is that either i missed it or DB did not review it.