Happy birthday Dave Holland

B. Goren.

Happy birthday! A great bass player with a beautiful sound, and a great bandleader, too (though somehow - sorry to say this on his birthday - I'd wish in that function he'd be a bit more innovative and open again - the band with Wheeler & Priester was fantastic, in my opinion.)

Dave really does have a great sound. I have only heard him on the Miles albums, and he makes a big contribution to those performances. It's interesting that he played acoustic on those sessions, when the trend was toward electric keyboards, basses and guitars - and Ron Carter is said to have left partly because he didn't like being made to play the electric plank.

Having just heard a fantastic concert given by Hancock-Shorter-Holland-Blade (I think the same one that was on TV, JazzBaltica 2004) in stellar quality on radio, I have to say that this group is one that's as adventurous as I'd wish Holland's own to be. I don't really want to say his latest quintet was bad, Kilson is a great drummer, I love Chris Potter, and slowly start liking Eubanks quite much, as well, but the whole band is just a bit too tame, not free and open enough, I think. I'll have to revisit the 2CD live album, as I remember loving it when i first heard it last year.

ubu

• 6 years later...