Babe thread?

Chrome

Fair enough.  Next time I'll give more warning.

I also took down the "Drawn Babes" thread.  I didn't care for having it or the original babe thread on my website.

What, is this the G rated PC board now???? Should people start watching their language as well? I am sure Shrdlu can now post his religious viewpoints without fear of any attacks on the new, improved organissimo board, Disney approved!

:rolleyes: Give it a rest berigan....ungrateful bastard. <_<

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am speechless. I'm the resident defender of speech, here, even speech that makes me want to slap the taste out of someone's mouth. I only glanced at the Babe Thread a couple times and quickly left. It certainly bugged me but it wouldn't necessarily make me leave and not come back. On the other hand, I'd be a total fraud if I didn't admit that it affected how I felt about the guys who posted there. Maybe that's unfair but it's the truth.

The Rachel Ray thread I actually read all the way through, not sure why, and found myself really annoyed. I actually watch both of her shows and find them both interesting and informative. It grates on my nerves that the first thing out of a man's mouth is how a woman looks. Someone referred to another woman on the Food Network with some slur about being a fat pig or something. Nice. Nothing about whether Ray's shows have value, just endless commentary about how she looks. The message this sends is that her shows aren't worth a damn unless she looks good and the content is irrelevant. Her ass and her boobs are all that matters. It's demeaning, worse, it's insulting. I suspect some of you don't get this at all.

I'm not a prude just a woman who's been around the block and could easily go through what's left of my life without seeing women depicted and judged on their body parts. Maybe it's a generational thing. I get the impression that the other women here don't mind the girly stuff and I try to respect that. But I find it really tiresome and the best way to get me to stop listening is to hear guys, and gals, carry on about how a woman looks.

This carries over to jazz, by the way. Any discussion about a female musician involves a detailed accounting of how she looks. Her musical ability is secondary. It's just tiresome.

Part of my attitude about this is that when I was young and skinny and cute, I received way to much unwanted attention from men about my looks and I resented it enormously. Men I'd never seen in my life before felt entitled to make comments about my body in a loud and public way. I even had men grab me in public. So yes, I have a real problem with women being reduced to body parts.

I won't miss the thread.

Rainy it's a guy thing but I understand why you don't approve. In fairness to my fellow male posters I do think that for the most part they do a good job of getting past the superficial and judging artists on their individual merits. FWIW I don't miss the babe thread.

Now don't get mad Rainy but can Rachel Ray actually cook?

Edited by chris olivarez

I only glanced at the Babe Thread a couple times and quickly left.

Believe it or not, you beat me by one visit... :lol:

I understand the reaction of those who prefer ah..."one stop shopping" on the internet, but on the other hand, I'll feel a lot more comfortable recommending this place to jazz fans I meet now.

A) A bulletin board on the Organissimo website.  Organissimo is my band that I'm trying to make successful and this website exists primarily as a promotional tool for that band.  I didn't like the idea of saying to complete strangers at gigs, "Hey, check out our website, specifically our forums!" and then thinking they'll come here and see half-naked women.  There are plenty of sites out there for that, if that's what you want.

So are you saying that one day, we should expect this board to be similar to the AAJ board then?

Jim, I don't get the fear that someone will check out the forums, dig around and see women in bikinis and freak out! How come this is a concern of yours, but threads on Cannibalism,(Truly a icon8.gif )and what is the most disgusting thing you have ever eaten have survived? Should Soulstation1 never make another comment about Serena's ass for fear of future visitors to this site?

B) A jazz discussion board and to a smaller extent a music discussion board.  I know, I know... "What about the politics section and the religious discussions?"  Both are intrinsically linked with music.  Check out Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" or any Bob Dylan record.

I don't consider myself a prude but at the same time that thread was worthless, it contained hundreds of copyrighted images, many of which I would be ashamed to show my wife or sisters or grandmother.   I let everyone here have a remarkable amount of freedom but sometimes I need to put my foot down.

Well, I would argue most music including jazz is NOT political, but that is neither here nor there.

Once again Jim, your board, (And as you have shown, you are all powerful! ^_^ ) You can say the thread was useless, but how many threads had more posts, or views???? It had to have been in the top 5. Someone was checking it out.

Aren't all the jazz articles posted copyrighted? Or the Articles posted on the political threads? I am sure some of the language used on some of the threads you wouldn't want your grandmother to read either.

We still seem to have issues with the nude or nearly nude male and female body in the U.S. that you don't see in most other nations.Wasn't there a hunk thread at one time as well? (Or was that at the BN board?) I bet Goren didn't even think about the topless women posted here were "obscene". Brownie didn't like the fact I had blacked out a topless woman awhile back, I am sure many of our overseas friends think we are prudish to the extreme.

If there had been another complaint like that one about the "Babe" Sangrey posted, I would understand completely. If the nudity was a problem, you could have said hey guys, stop with the nudity, or else....It just sounds like you were tired of it....and the lemmingish nature of some here bugs me. "Thanks for taking your ball home with you B, you saved us from ourselves!" :rolleyes:

Obviously, not the end of the world by any stretch, don't get me wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.

It does seem like the PC thing to do to take down the babe thread because a woman here might have a problem with a thread they don't have to check out, or someone you mention the board to....I sure as hell see more sex in most commercials I see on T.V. these days than on this thread.....

Perhaps someday we should have a vote (After the election of course) for dropping the Political forum.....I can't imagine it is doing your band any favors.......and it would free up lots of time for Johnny , myself and others to post about jazz..... :)

Edited by BERIGAN

I'd like to think most people contributing to the Babe thread were not "judging" people based on their looks ... that is, they weren't saying anyone's looks had to do with whether someone is a good person or bad person. They were subjectively judging that person's looks, which is different.

And really, what's the difference between talking about the way someone looks and talking about how far they can hit a baseball? Or how well they can play the trumpet? In all cases, we're just focusing on one part of a person's overall "makeup."

That being said, I can't get as worked up about the Babe thread missing as I would have if the politics threads were closed.

Rainy it's a guy thing but I understand why you don't approve.

that's crap. i'm a guy, and it ain't my thing.

and rainy, it is as superficial for you to judge a person by what he/she (yes there were some male babes in the babe thread - posted by women) posts in the babe thread as it is for a person to judge another by the way they look. -_-

and that's double-crap. one is judging by appearance, the other is judging by behavior.

Edited by jazzshrink

Rainy it's a guy thing but I understand why you don't approve.

that's crap. i'm a guy, and it ain't my thing.

Are you absolutely positive you're a guy?

From the PC crap you've long espoused, I figured you had checked your cojones at the door a long time ago-and didn't ask for a receipt.

From the PC crap you've long espoused, I figured you had checked your cojones at the door a long time ago-and didn't ask for a receipt.

Bullshit. You need a new definition of what it means to be a man.

"Why can't I walk down a street free of suggestion? (repeat)

Is my body my only trait in the eyes of men? (in the eyes of men)

I've got some skin

You want to look in

There lays no reward in what you discover

You spent yourself watching me suffer

Suffer your words, suffer you eyes, suffer your hands

Suffer your interpretation of what it is to be a man

I've got some skin

You want to look in

She does nothing to deserve it

He only wants to observe it

We sit back like they taught us

We keep quiet like they taught us

He just wants to prove it

She does nothing to remove it

We don't want anyone to mind us

So we play the roles that they assigned us

She does nothing to conceal it

He touches her 'cause he wants to feel it

We blame her for being there

But we are all guilty" - Fugazi

Bullshit. You need a new definition of what it means to be a man.

"Why can't I walk down a street free of suggestion? (repeat)

Is my body my only trait in the eyes of men? (in the eyes of men)

I've got some skin

You want to look in

There lays no reward in what you discover

You spent yourself watching me suffer

Suffer your words, suffer you eyes, suffer your hands

Suffer your interpretation of what it is to be a man

I've got some skin

You want to look in

She does nothing to deserve it

He only wants to observe it

We sit back like they taught us

We keep quiet like they taught us

He just wants to prove it

She does nothing to remove it

We don't want anyone to mind us

So we play the roles that they assigned us

She does nothing to conceal it

He touches her 'cause he wants to feel it

We blame her for being there

But we are all guilty" - Fugazi

Talk about a pathetic load of crap.

You need a new definition of what GUILT is.

Women get attacked-So all men are guilty of the crime?

You and your emasculated pal can take a flying leap.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-opening this thread because of an interesting piece of information. Here, in my mind, is further proof that the Babe Thread was not such a great idea.

Do we really want a bunch of people coming here because they are searching for images of chicks?

The top 20 searches that lead people to Organissimo for the month of September, 2004: