Sonny Clark SACD

RDK

This was posted earlier on the Steve Hoffman forum. For anyone interested, this is one of the finest sounding discs in my collection. The music's pretty good too. :) Don't wait - this one's oop and they only pressed 2000 copies of the SACD (hybrid, so it'll play on any CD player) before their license expired...

http://www.audiofidelity.net/messag...topic.php?t=363

From Marshall:

As you know, the Sonny Clark license has run out and contractually we can no longer manufacture this title. We have been out of this title for months and so has most of retail.

One of our overseas distributors is closing and I have bought back their remaining inventory, which includes 79 Sonny Clarks.

So...for the 1st 79 of you who want this fantastic title before it goes out of stock completely, now's your chance.

Go to the AF homepage, then to the ORDER FORM link and fill out and FAX or phone in your order or you can wait and pay more for this title on Ebay icon_lol.gif .

I wanted to offer these to the Audio Fidelity fans....Marshall

I agree with Lon not the best of the Hybrids that I have but still very good sound and of course Sonny

Wow... we must have very different systems. I think this disc is an example of how good SACD can be. It sounds phenomenal to me.

Of course, I also compared it to the old Bainbridge/Time CD, which sounded pretty lousy. It could only go up from there.

Later,

Kevin

It definitely sounds better than the old Bainbridge cd!

I'm not that wowed by a lot of SACD. . . my new Decware modified (tube stage coming right off the DAC) SACD/DVD/CD player makes cds sound so good that SACD is not the huge improvement I thought it would be.

Right now my favorite SACD is Louis Armstrong's "Plays W. C. Handy." The magic of the original recording just shines through. Trummy Young's trombone is startlingly real. But a lot of these factors are system dependent---with a forward sounding system this may be the very ticket.

Edited by jazzbo

Wow... we must have very different systems. I think this disc is an example of how good SACD can be. It sounds phenomenal to me.

As I said the sound is very good, just not the best of the hybrids (on my system) and may very well be the conditions of the masters that Hoffman was working with

Highly recommended in very good sound

I'm with Lon - the SACD floored me back when I had my workmanlike Denon amp-based system, but with a proper DAC and tube amp and good transport the regular CD layer actually sounds BETTER than the SACD later. Now admittedly my SACD player isn't "top of the line" (a Pioneer DV45A) so that could be an issue. But in essence, since I can get Redbook CD to peform so well on my system I'm not really interested in SACD anymore.

All that aside - both the standard CD and SACD layers of the Hoffman remaster are really excellent, and a quantum leap forward from the Bainbridge (not to mention the old grey market issues from Europe).