Frank Sinatra

bebopbob

I'm a real Frank Sinatra novice who's just bought the Francis Albert Sinatra/Antonio Carlos Jobim CD. It's my first Sinatra disc and I'm getting hooked.

Any recommendations for classic Sinatra CDs which include Summer Wind, Strangers in the Night... I'm looking for a compilation or straight issue on CD that contains all or most of the tunes fans associate with Sinatra without having to spend a fortune on a box set.

Thanks. Bob

Caveats: I've not yet been grabbed enough by either the Dorsey stuff od the Columbia stuff to explore it at length; I've gone out of my way to get all the Capitol/pre-retirement Reprise albums I can find, even the less-than-stellar ones.

So, having said that...

Essential Sinatra albums AFAIC:

SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS/SWING EASY

IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS

SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS

COME FLY WITH ME

WHERE ARE YOU?

ONLY THE LONELY

NICE 'N' EASY

SINATRA AND STRINGS

IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SWING

+ the Jobim collaboration you already have and the one I've already suggested.

You'll also want some "Greatest Hits" things or something similar, mostly because A)the "hits" on Capitol were released as singles, not as parts of the "concept" albums and B)the Reprise albums are inconsistent (ex - the absolutely stunning version of "The Way You Look Tonight" is found on an otherwise disposable (imo) album).

But the above list contains albums that stand up wonderfully as a whole, and although you'll probably get some arguments for things NOT on this list, I doubt you'll get any AGAINST the above.

Except from those who do not care for Sinatra, of which there are a few in these parts. ;)

Jim's list is great for the Capitol years :tup , but I would add the following Reprise releases:

September Of My Years (a mature peak)

Sinatra At The Sands (you need some live Frank)

Trilogy (for the past and the present, not the future).

Actually I have the complete Columbia, Capitol and Reprise, not to mention the Hollywood box set, and love them all, but that's just me. :)

I dig Sinatra's records. All I can add to the ESSENTIAL list is "Come Dance With Me" and "A Swinging Affair".

The Capitol stuff is probably a great place to begin. Frank is at his peak - the arrangements, recording, band are all outstanding and consistently so. That having been said - the Capitol stuff is not the ONLY stuff and the Reprise things mentioned are excellent also.

I've just begun to explore the Columbia material. I started with a disc called "Frank Sinatra Sings his Greatest Hits". Many of the songs were later done for Capitol and the comparison is interesting. Columbia emphasised "the crooner" aspect over "the swinger", but two of the tunes in this cd, "I've Got A Crush On You" and "Body And Soul" contain absolutely GREAT Bobby Hackett solos. I heard "Crush" on the radio recently, recognized Bobby, and decided to seek out the recording. It was well worth it.

A pretty good BOOK about Sinatra is "Sinatra ! The Song Is You" by Will Friedwald. It's about the music, not the sensationalist aspects played up and distorted by some "journalists".

For the jazz lovers on this board, one CD that I'm surprised has not been mentioned is his very first for the Reprise label, RING-A-DING DING! Except for the title dismissible track, it consists of standards arranged by Johnny Mandel (original LP issue which had 12 tracks) and features solos by Frank Rosolino and Don Fagerquist among others. Terrific, swinging Frank. The arrangement of "Let's Fall in Love" is worth the price of admission alone. The CD has 3 additional tracks done by other arrangers including one by Nelson Riddle.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Just bought:

September of My Years

Strangers in the Night

Reprise Very Good Years

Songs for Swinging Lovers.

Looking forward to hearing more from the Chairman...

Good choices...

Almost everything Frank cut for Capitol is great, though my favorites are "Come Fly with Me" and "Come Dance With Me."

His Reprise years are spottier, but his best cuts there are among the bests of his career. The "Very Good Years" comp that you bought should do it. Then I'd get the live album with Basie.

Thanks for all the recommendations in this thread. I picked up "Only The Lonely" and "In The Wee Small Hours" today, and have the former on right now. So far, I like it quite a bit. My exposure to Frank Sinatra in the past has been limited to Christmas music, the 1959 concert with Red Norvo, and the Rat Pack DVD-A title.

Don't go through life without a copy of ONLY THE LONELY. Put it on the top of your list NOW.

And get a bottle of Jack to go with it. That's one of the darkest records anybody's ever made.

The epitome of Sinatra as interpretive singer, afaic.

I love that record. It's the first Sinatra I ever bought & one that I frequently recommend. The bonus cut included on the CD--"Where or When"--is absolutely stunning.

Those interested in hearing Sinatra with a small jazz combo might want to investigate the CD released on Blue Note a few years ago that featured him with Red Norvo's group in an Australian concert.

• 6 years later...

The Capitol stuff

Come Fly With Me

Songs For Young Lovers/Swing Easy

Songs For Swingin' Lovers

Sinatra's Swingin' Session

In The Wee Small Hours

Close To You And More

Come Swing With Me

Collectors Series (Singles)

Come Dance With Me

Sings For Only The Lonely

Where Are You ?

Nice N' Easy

Edited by kinuta

Nice to see this back up...over the years I've grown quite fond of Point Of No Return, the last collaboration with Axel Stordahl.

Very gentle, very kind, and Stordahl's charts are so much meatier and juicer, imo, than the ones he did for Sinatra in the 40s.

"Glowing" is the word that comes to mind.

Nice to see this back up...over the years I've grown quite fond of Point Of No Return, the last collaboration with Axel Stordahl.

Very gentle, very kind, and Stordahl's charts are so much meatier and juicer, imo, than the ones he did for Sinatra in the 40s.

"Glowing" is the word that comes to mind.

Yes, possibly my favourite Sinatra! Not sure why really, possibly the song selection or Frank's particularly wistful singing.

Have been appreciating the Reprise years recently and would give a strong recommendation to 'She Shot Me Down'. His last masterpiece, thematically similar to the great Capitol saloon song albums. Was hard to find for a long time but last year a remastered version was released.