Hurricane Charlie a Catagory 4!!!!

Pretty quiet down here on the east coast. Some heavy rain last night and strong winds today, but there was a lot of sun peeking through the clouds a little while ago. I think most of the boardmembers from Florida are from around these parts (MartyJazz, Evan, Dan) so nothing to worry about. Do we have any posters from theh Gulf Coast?

Pretty quiet down here on the east coast. Some heavy rain last night and strong winds today, but there was a lot of sun peeking through the clouds a little while ago. I think most of the boardmembers from Florida are from around these parts (MartyJazz, Evan, Dan) so nothing to worry about. Do we have any posters from theh Gulf Coast?

Not that I'm aware of, but I suspect that the park the boys played at in October is gonna be mighty trashed by this time tomorrow.

Had no idea the storm had strengthened so incredibly rapidly. The only good news I heard from a relative in St. Pete was that it looked like it might come ashore south of Tampa/St. Pete, which would keep the worst quadrant of the storm away from the densely populated sea front. But wherever it comes ashore, its gonna be ugly.

I lived in Jacksonville for 10 years, we missed getting Hurricanes luckily enough. (cul-de-sac shape of Florida/Georgia border seems to keep storms away)But watched closely any storm nearby of course. When storms get this strong, real damage can/will occur. I think Hugo had sustained winds of 140 with gusts above 160, and you all remember the damage that caused. Orlando may suffer some major problems as well, since the storm will still have some real strength.

I forget which hurricane came inland in SC in the early 90's and hit Charlotte with 100+ winds, which no one expected. All their radio stations were knocked off the air, and Jacksonville stations were broadcasting info for them...Hopefully this storm will weaken a bit before coming ashore!!!!

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, they were talking about Hugo on Fox with a guy from the weather channel, and it was the storm that hit SC, not Florida! :wacko: Man, I'm getting old, it was Andrew that did so much damage to South Florida.....looks like it is just nicking Fort Meyers, and is going to come inland further north...

It's kind of eerie here in Palm Beach County. I watch the TV and see this absolute devastation in Punta Gorda, FL, (west coast), see my TV transmission interrupted every so often with the National Weather Service telling me to still be alert to hurricane possibility here, and I go out to walk the dog and not only is there no rain, but hardly any wind! I aint' complainin' !:tup

Thanks to one and all for their concern.

Church friends in Tampa, and in Statesville, NC, report everything O.K., praise God, but some locations had severe damage.

I was real ticked off with Fox News's coverage over the last day or two. I hate that channel anyway, but tuned in briefly to find the latest. As on the Simpsons, which parodied such reporting, they were treating it all like an entertaining action movie. Pure show biz. :angry: