Columbia Special Products

Stefan Wood

Recently I have picked up a number of classical lps with this imprint. Red and black Columbia label, with the "Special Products" title on it. They came with a black lp jacket with a hole cut out on one side so you can see the label. On the back it says that this is a product that is meant to carry special reissues of OOP performances -- and not limited to classical, but also jazz and pop. This was meant for collectors and libraries and other educational services. Now, was this like Mosaic, in that they reissue neglected and valuable performances from the past, or did they cater to record fan demand, like the Connoisseurs? And Columbia wasn't the only label -- I found some amazing pieces issued by MGM special Products as well. Did Capitol and RCA do the same thing? And are these the same services that we see working with reissue companies like Mosaic?

i've always thought of sony special products as a budget reissue program. although this label facilitated the release of some classic titles like anatomy of a murder, the catalog mainly consists of pop compilations and greatest hits packages. amazon.com lists 157 sony special products titles featuring such diverse artists as ellington, lawrence welk, molly hatchet, and david johansen!

Edited by jazzshrink

I remember CSP in the LP days (through the 70s,anyway) as being sort of Columbia's "safety net", so to speak, for albums that might not sell too well but that the label felt needed to stay in print at an affordable price, just because they were important enough. Lots of jazz and classical titles back then, some with the original cover art, some not.