Miles Box

BFS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize. Probably one myself. Thinking of preordering but was hoping to find it cheaper.

I've done some looking around myself and it does look like CDUniverse has it the cheapest. I was going to get it at Borders with a 15% coupon I have, but their price is $129 to begin with. Guess I can wait a day or two and get it for $99 with shipping!

This is gonna be a great one - but I'll have to wait a bit, darn it, as it's down on my "remaining unpurchased Miles boxed sets" list behind the Jack Johnson one and the one I just ordered - CHRONICLES: COMPLETE PRESTIGE (for about half-price). I realize all the Prestige stuff is out on single discs but this was a great price and I like Fantasy's LP-sized booklets, discographies, etc.

I realize.  Probably one myself.  Thinking of preordering but was hoping to find it cheaper.

I've done some looking around myself and it does look like CDUniverse has it the cheapest. I was going to get it at Borders with a 15% coupon I have, but their price is $129 to begin with. Guess I can wait a day or two and get it for $99 with shipping!

Just ordered a set from CDUniverse. I found nothing even close after looking around either.

Edited by dsgtrane

• 2 weeks later...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../music_miles_dc

Set Traces Steps to Miles' Classic Quintet

Sat Sep 25, 8:20 AM ET

By Dan Ouellette

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Anticipating the next Miles Davis boxed set from Columbia/Legacy Jazz has become an annual event.

After six previous packages chronicling the iconic trumpeter's career, "Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963-1964" arrives Sept. 28.

The silver, black and white box in Swiss graphic style holds seven CDs with 47 tracks that document an important transitional period in Davis' career.

Unlike earlier Legacy boxes that focus on a specific collaboration or an established ensemble, "Seven Steps" chronicles the trumpeter's trial-and-error quest for a new band after the 1962 dissolution of his longstanding rhythm section of pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb.

These sessions detail Davis trying out such saxophonists as George Coleman and Sam Rivers, pianist Victor Feldman and drummer Frank Butler before finally settling on the group of young upstarts -- saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Tony Williams -- who formed his classic '60s quintet.

The Davis reissue projects have been a commercial and critical success for Legacy, garnering nine Grammy Awards.

"They sell very well," Legacy VP of jazz marketing Seth Rothstein says. "We make 50,000 limited-edition copies for the world. With sales of 25,000-30,000 in the U.S. and the rest going to Europe and Japan, you can think of 'Seven Steps' as being gone already. Eventually we'll reissue the set in long-box configurations."

Rothstein says the Davis series has been a cornerstone of the label.

"Documenting Miles' career for the last 10 years has been one of the premier historical jazz reissue projects," he says. "He was at Columbia for 30 years. I can't think of anyone else who had such a long affiliation. He recorded a diversity of music, and we've been able to find a decent amount of unreleased material."

As for "Seven Steps," Rothstein says he is fascinated by Davis' intuitive genius. "Here's Miles who loses John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans and then his rhythm section. He's a giant. He's searching for a new sound, and he does it again."

The series will continue with a box that focuses on Davis' electric period from 1972 to 1975. Currently slated for a fall 2005 release, it will again be co-produced by Davis authorities Bob Belden and Michael Cuscuna.

Reuters/Billboard

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a box for the post Jack Johnson period. Wonder what made them change their minds? ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

They kind of dropped the ball now, because the only era not represented in a box like these is the Mobley line up. It would've been about 6 cds with Someday My Prince Will Come, Complete Blackhawk & Carnegie Hall. Maybe they'll "rethink" that one too. I'd buy it but the number on the box would be, what, 1.5?

Edited by dave9199

I'm sure that the executives would have been swayed by the money they could make on the post Jack Johnson box. BUT I would not at all doubt that the producers (especially Bob Belden) have a sincere wish for this material to be given a box set. . . . Kudos to Michael and Bob, I really love this series and am glad that this is not the final box!

I really hope one day there will be a Miles at the Fillmore box. . .When I interviewed Michael Cuscuna some years back he responded to my inquiry about a release of the Fillmore material without edits hopefully, saying that there was a desire to produce the release and he felt a possibility the idea would have label support. In this same conversation he revealed to me that the Cellar Door material was planned for release (and we're still waiting, with hope).

I'm sure that the executives would have been swayed by the money they could make on the post Jack Johnson box. BUT I would not at all doubt that the producers (especially Bob Belden) have a sincere wish for this material to be given a box set. . . . Kudos to Michael and Bob, I really love this series and am glad that this is not the final box!

I'm with you on that. I am a big fan of this series, and it never made sense from the original announcement that it would stop at 1970. There is a lot of material after that, up to 1975. I hope they include the Agharta and Pangaea material in this next box. This is very good news.