Tyson fight

Now here in a nutshell is the sad and evil side of boxing.

Mike Tyson is now in the realm of the fighter-past-his-prime; and is getting closer to the category of totally-washed-up. Fans of the game who hated and feared him in his prime will now take a sympathetic stance. They will "admire" his courage and will as he begins to take more punches and lose fights.

The fighter doesn't retire. He doesn't retire because it's like selling drugs. The money is too damned good to quit; and who will go out and get a regular job and work for peanuts?

Basically, all great fighters are destined to stay in the game until they get punch drunk.

It's an evil sport, fellahs....

Basically, all great fighters are destined to stay in the game until they get punch drunk.

There are quite a few exceptions to this rule. But, make no mistake, it is the rule. That said...

Rocky Marciano (the heavyweight)

Rocky Grazziano (the middleweight) (sp?)

Sugar Ray Leonard

Sugar Ray Robinson

Joe Frazier

and quite a few others.

Unfortunately, for every one of them, there's a hundred Ali's. His has to be the saddest story of all...

There are quite a few exceptions to this rule. But, make no mistake, it is the rule. That said...

Rocky Marciano (the heavyweight)

Rocky Grazziano (the middleweight) (sp?)

Sugar Ray Leonard

Sugar Ray Robinson

Joe Frazier

and quite a few others.

Unfortunately, for every one of them, there's a hundred Ali's. His has to be the saddest story of all...

And God Bless them all, JazzyP.

Rocky Graziano and Joe Frazier didn't have any brains to addle...

They were both punchdrunk even before starting a fight career. ;)

Keeping mind that this post is in no way meant to defend boxing, but football isn't exactly kind to it's athletes either. Look into things like life expectancy of NFL players, and the quality of their life with their crippling arthritis and you have to wonder about that sport as well.

I don't recall offhand the exact circumstances of Rocky Marciano's retirement, but he DID quit with a perfect record.

I don't think guys who are undeafeated are ones who fall in the "kept fighting til they didn't have any brain cells" category. :rolleyes:

I have no sympathy for Mike Tyson.

Same here & I enjoyed every second of his fight against Lennox Lewis.

Unfortunately I dont think Danny Williams will last too long against him tonight , I've seen him fight on the TV on quite a few occasions , when things are going his way he has shown potential but when they are not he seems to lose heart quickly & has lost a few fights to guys that he shouldnt have

As I understand it Tyson is seriously in hock. The leeches have drained him dry and he has to fight to pay off his staggering debts.

True, but Tyson has to take the blame himself for being broke this time around.

He's been training at a little gym down the street from my house. A buddy of mine works with kids at the same gym. He says Tyson still runs his mouth as if he was on top of the world with no money worries.

He will get his payday, make millions, and will be broke once again a year or two later.

Keeping mind that this post is in no way meant to defend boxing, but football isn't exactly kind to it's athletes either. Look into things like life expectancy of NFL players, and the quality of their life with their crippling arthritis and you have to wonder about that sport as well.

I suppose so, but I can still watch football without cringing. Boxing seems so brutal. I mean, you're not taking all these headshots in football as you do in boxing.

Football is hard on your limbs, that's for sure. Personally, I could take reduced mobility in exchange for big $$. Wouldn't do it for brain damage however. That's the difference to me.

Dan: Rocky Marciano DID indeed retire with a perfect record, and was still sharp as a tack in the last interview that I had seen of him.

Joe Frazier has far more on the ball than people give him credit for. Not to mention, he practically invented a fighting style (the duck and weave...I've never seen anyone do it the way he did). The sad thing about Frazier is that it was Frazier who got Ali a career again, and then Ali did everything he could to destroy Joe. It was truly a sad situation, and Joe deserved better.

Rocky Graziano was kinda the Forrest Gump of the boxing community. Nuff said.

and both Sugar Rays were just absolutely the shit.

I take it I'm in the minority here as a boxing enthusiast...

I still haven't seen any exact numbers, but some articles have mentioned Tyson's debt of 36 Million and say most of the money will go to the creditors. But Tyson is going to get $2 million for himself. Not sure if it's for 3 fights or just this fight? The articles assumed that Tyson was planning to do a series of fights to pay off his debts.

Course, I'm sure it depends on the pay-per-view numbers.

(just make sure he eats before the fights)

Edited by Tjazz