Yusef Lateef - Live In London (Harkit)

l p

i have the 5cd 'freelance years' box on riverside/contemporary, on which there are like 3-4 decent ballads. nothing else to my liking. i've seen concert videos from 1959, 1973(?), and 1982. have heard his stuff with monk. a guy sent me 2 cd's of various live tunes from various 1980's concerts that prestige is considering for release because the recordings are so great 'the cream of the crop'. he said that everybody's very excited about it over there. as i was listening to these, i was wondering - whatever do people see in this guy to give him such stature as a tenorman.

anybody see that 1975 downbeat poll winners awards video on which rollins plays like a little girl, and r. kirk follows, and blows him away without even meaning to/attempting to do so?

and what about tenor madness w/coltrane. as if that was actually a historic meeting between two heavyweight players.

rollins is weak. i think there is some brainwashing going on in the jazz world. a lot of musicians are respected more than they deserve, because it's beaten into our heads by critics, and by people who listen to these critics.

i have the 5cd 'freelance years' box on riverside/contemporary, on which there are like 3-4 decent ballads. nothing else to my liking. i've seen concert videos from 1959, 1973(?), and 1982. have heard his stuff with monk. a guy sent me 2 cd's of various live tunes from various 1980's concerts that prestige is considering for release because the recordings are so great 'the cream of the crop'. he said that everybody's very excited about it over there. as i was listening to these, i was wondering - whatever do people see in this guy to give him such stature as a tenorman.

anybody see that 1975 downbeat poll winners awards video on which rollins plays like a little girl, and r. kirk follows, and blows him away without even meaning to/attempting to do so?

and what about tenor madness w/coltrane. as if that was actually a historic meeting between two heavyweight players.

rollins is weak. i think there is some brainwashing going on in the jazz world. a lot of musicians are respected more than they deserve, because it's beaten into our heads by critics, and by people who listen to these critics.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You had me going there for a minute - your definately a wind up merchant!

Before you know it we'll have people posting that they don't like Miles! :wacko:

• 2 years later...