Spanish Blue Note Series

bebopbob

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this thread, saw the list, saw the price and could not resist - in spite of the covers.

My shipment came yesterday - nicely packaged and about 5 days after I placed the order. I was only looking to fill gaps in my collection at what I found to be an arffordable price.

I picked up Lonnie Smith's Turning Point, Johnny Hartman's For Trane, the two Joao Gilbertos, The two Dizzy Gillespies, Mingus' Complete Town Hall Concert, Horace Parlan's Up and Down, Annie Ross sings a song with mulligan, the Cole/Shearing, Corea's Early Circle, and Clifford Jordan.

I've only listened to the Joao Gilbertos at this point. The sound is great and the music - in a word - is fabulous, excellent, superb and wonderful. I'm very glad to finally have found these - no matter what the color of the cover.

I've got the Parlan on right now which is excellent as well. I've got the Parlan Mosaic on LP so I've already heard the material but wanted a CD copy as well, so this worked out for me just fine.

I'm glad to have some titles that I've been looking for for some time at an affordable price. As mentioned above, they are legit and officially licensed so i had no qualms there. The covers I suppose fit the concept of the series but are - well - very, very Blue.

Well, I placed my order and then posted to this thread - then read the more recent posts questioning the legitimacy of these CDs based on violation of the terms of sales in the licensing agreement. Therefore, I decided to peacefully surrender these discs to the US Marshall who appears to have just pulled into my driveway ;)

I'm with Rooster here - EMI is making their money on the sales of these through the licensing agreement with Time-Life, so screw 'em. If they want to garner profits from US sales, then release 'em in the US. If Time Life felt they could market these successfully as some sort of club then why doesn't Blue Note or Mosaic do the same thing right here in the good old USA. Many on the board have been saying that for years.

In general, I do not buy Japanese releases not available in the US unless I am extremely anxious to get a title. But here comes a series of releases chockfull of titles I've been looking for at a great price and bingo- they make a sale. I can tell you that if BN or Mosaic had the vision to create such a marketing plan then the sales would have been theirs - not Freshsounds.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I guess that I'll have to agree with you on this one Ed. Its a nice product and a nice price and I don't think that Time-Life is an outift that doesn't watch its back when it get into such an enterprise. Its a win-win situation for the cosumer. Load

'em up quickly because as soon as someone pulls a plug on these titles, the eBay wolves will come-a prowlin'

I ordered a few last night as well. That site reminds me of the old, old Planet Music site in certain ways. Anyway, I always wanted to hear what the controversy about Night of the Cookers was so I ordered that, plus the Gillespies, Basra, the San Francisco Hutcherson and a Bud Powell Cd from Freshsounds, Volume 2 of Birdland 1953 (I have Volume 1).

Night of the Cookers does have some highlights. Morgan on "Walkin'" and Hubbard on "Jodo". Outside of that there's not much and certainly no real trumpet battles but I like the records. The Teddy Charles at the Museum of Modern Art is nice as well, great Booker Little and Booker Ervin.

As for the blue Blue Notes, they were licenced to a certain company for a certain purpose but obviously had some left after the promotion was over and these were probably sold to a distributer and the rest is history. Probably not much can be done about this, but they're probably not huge quantities of these so fill in the gaps while you can.

And for clarity, Blue Moon/Fresh Sound, one company. Discoforme/Jazz Factory one company distributed in Spain by the same company that distributes Fresh Sound/Blue Moon. Planet Music is now Jazzmessenger. My suggestion is that the people who got burned by Planet Music when they folded ask Jazzmessenger to fill their order. Has anyone tried that?

Edited by kdd

I placed my order on Thursday last week, and apparently the titles I purchased (Up & Down, Basra, Poppin', & True Blue) were Fedexed overnight to me, as Fedex tried to deliver them Friday afternoon. Unfortunately I wasn't available to sign for them until today, so they sat on the truck until this morning. At any rate, that's pretty quick delivery - though my shipping fees were €11.

All four titles have TOCJ numbers on them. And three of them are copyright 1993 from Capitol Records, while the other (Poppin') is copyrighted 1996. All four have a "published" date of 1998 from Time Life Barcelona though.

It's kinda funny though, I guess the Blue Note quality control travelled with the material to Spain. Poppin' was recorded at the "Van Gewlder" studio, and Joe Anderson apparently played on Basra. Also, two of the cover photos were taken by Francis Wolf, while the other two were by the slightly more reknowned Francis Wolff. :D

Edited by Aggie87

Well, I got my shipment and that's pretty darn fast considering I ordered it on Sunday. Of course, shipping was 17 Euros so that obviously explains the speed. The TOCJ reference is a bit curious because some of them have them and some have the US catalogue number. For example the Leo Parker does have the TOCJ number. Has that not been reissued in the US previously?

Maybe they just copied these and got a license to do from BN US and BN Japan.

I received my package of 8 spanish Blue Notes today. As I am in my office, I cannot check the sound. I will post my experience on sound quality later.

This is what the covers say on the remastering:

"Domestic" remastering:

- Art Blakey - Like Someone in Love (Ron McMaster)

- Charles Mingus - Complete town Hall (Malcom Addey)

- Ellington & Armstrong

- Chick Corea - Early Circle (Addey)

No remastering engineer mentioned, but TOCJ number may indicate japanese remastering:

- Lee Morgan - The Cooker

- Curtis Fuller - Vol.3

- Horace Parlan - Up and down

- Tina Brooks - True Blue

Given that True Blue usually sells for $25-40 on ebay, this 5.75 Eur CD is a great bargain, if you can stand the awful blueish covers. I have the two Blue Note cover books in LP format, so I don't care about the CD covers.

My shipment of 10 discs arrived. Shipped on Monday received on Thursday and in good condition, very well packaged.

So far so good.

Hubbard - Night of the Cookers 1 & 2

Gillespie - Village Vanguard 1 & 2

C. Parker - Storyville

Mingus - Townhall

LaRoca - Basra

L. Parker - Let me tell you bout it

Morgan - The cooker

Chambers - Whims of chambers

Update:

WOW!! :excited:

The TOCJ-marked discs are absolute winners sound-wise.

I took me just a few seconds on every disc to recognize the clean full-range and undistorted sound that is a trademark of these japanese remasterings from the early to mid 90's.

It would be nice to have a complete list of the spanish TOCJs. Confirmed so far:

- Lee Morgan - The Cooker

- Curtis Fuller - Vol.3

- Horace Parlan - Up and down

- Tina Brooks - True Blue

- Pete LaRoca - Basra

- Hank Mobley - Poppin'

Edited by Claude

My order from the Spanish Blue Note Collection series included these:

Leo Parker "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" TOCJ 4087

Cliff Jordan "Cliff Jordan" TOCJ 1565

Johnny Griffin "The Congregation" and Blue Mitchell "Boss Horn" do NOT have TOCJ numbers.

Edited by riverrat

From my order I got the following with TOCJ numbers:

Thad Jones-"Detroit/New York Junction" TOCJ1513

Sam Rivers-"Fuchsia Swing Song" TOCJ 4184

Sonny Clark-"Sonny's Crib" TOCJ 1576

Jimmy Smith-"Softly As A Summer Breeze" TOCJ 4200

Horace Silver-"Further Explorations" TOCJ 1589

Freddie Roach-"Down To Earth" TOCJ 4113

Ike Quebec-"It Might As Well Be Spring" TOCJ 4105

Horace Silver-"Stylings of Silver" TOCJ 1562

Donald Byrd-"Off To The Races" TOCJ 4007

I've noticed a couple of things about Hank Mobley's "Poppin" from this series.

1. The insert actually says "made in Japan".

2. The tracks and personnel are listed on the back of the insert, but there are no liner notes. The inside of the insert is blank. Is this also the case with the "real" Japanese version?

It seems obvious to me that they scanned the covers from the booklets they were able to find, which means from various sources. It may be the same for the music. I wouldn't be suprised if it had been copied from Japanese CD's, Mosaic boxsets, old US first edition CDs, etc. I am not sure that EMI/Capitol (or whoever ownes the masters) sent them a whole set of tapes covering the whole Blue Note catalog. I believe they did the collection from their own sources.

I´m one of those who got burnt by Planetmusic breakdown. Anybody have jazzmesengers´ e-mail or URL????

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I´m not sure, but I think Fresh Sound/Blue Moon is a different thing from Disconforme (Jazz Factory/Definitive Records). I don´t know where Planet Music/Jazzmessengers :angry::angry: (damn it) comes in!