Football Season

Since we have a baseball thread, I thought it might be fitting that we have a football (soccer for Americans) page. So to start things off, let's lead off with what appears to be a hot transfer story: Patrick Viera to Real Madrid. Although I support both the Gunners and Real, I would not want to see this happen.

Here's a link to a recent story from the BBC

I'm counting down the days , Saturdays seem to be boring at the moment , I'm getting so deperate I'm even thinking of going to some pre-season frendlies this year!

Hopefully my season tickets on the way to me in the post.

My team are trying to sign an American player - Marcus Beasley.

southampton.gif

Cmonn you Saints!!!

I'm counting down the days , Saturdays seem to be boring at the moment , I'm getting so deperate I'm even thinking of going to some pre-season frendlies this year!

Hopefully my season tickets on the way to me in the post.

My team are trying to sign an American player - Marcus Beasley.

southampton.gif

Cmonn you Saints!!!

Don't want to upset you, but I'd be surprised if Southampton would do better than last season.

:D

Don't worry I'm not too upset !

I'm not expecting us to win the league. Top 8 is a possibility but so is 18th !

We are OK in defence , have possibly the best keeper in the league & we are strong up front . But we have no creativity in midfield & are very inconsistent.

But that is what is exciting about following a team like Southampton& when we have had a small sniff at glory its appreciated more.

I'm also looking forward to the new season europe, to be enjoyed on FSW (so many reruns of Arsenal matches lately :rolleyes: ), but when I think of what's coming in one month, I think of:

linup.jpg

World Cup qualifying begins August 18 vs Jamaica.

I'm not sure we deserve to be #7 in the world, :unsure: , but it's hard not to be happy about it, I must confess. I just hope we continue to improve, stay competetive with the best teams in the world, and... continue to dominate Mexico! B)

Hans,

have you seen your fellow countryman Jelle Van Damme play ?

We've just signed him from Ajax.

Only once or twice, he sat on the bench most of the time. He wasn't good enough for Ajax.

By the way, he's from Belgium.

:winky: oops sorry.

I understand that a Brazillian who had a very good season was keeping him out of the Ajax team. Perhaps that was a bit of spin on SFC's part to hype up the signing.

Has anyone been watching the Copa America? I was looking forward to the final rounds, but the last couple of matches have been highly disappointing. Brazil's 4-0 win over Mexico was pretty dull, with Brazil outplaying Mexico in just about every phase of the game. What was worse, though, was tonight's Argentina vs Colombia match. I didn't really care who won, but to watch Colombia play such a lifeless, uncreative match was boring, and even frustrating at times. They lost 3-0, and were barely able to possess the ball and move forward. It's been quite a while since I've seen any national team look so pathetic. How they made it to the semifinal is beyond me.

Tomorrow is Brazil vs Uruguay. I hope Uruguay can at least make a strong effort. I'm tired of watching boring and lifeless matches.

I have to agree with Jim. I've found the whole Copa kind of uninteresting, at least compared to Euro 2004. What I have found interesting, however, is that Brazil is doing it without their big stars: No Ronaldo, no Robert Carlos or Ronaldinho. Adriano looks good. I'm sure he'll be attracting some attention from Europe unless he's already there.

The only guys I recognized were Edu and Kleberson.

I think Uruguay is lucky to get this far. The referee was very kind to them in their last match.

Anyone see this story about the Mourinho - Ferguson feud. This should prove to be interesting when they meet.

There's something about Mourinho and Chelsea that rub me the wrong way. I don't like the idea of spending millions and millions. They're becoming the Yankees and I don't like the fact that Mourinho coaching staff seems to be made up of very few English people.

The only guys I recognized were Edu and Kleberson.

Me too, and add Luisao, who I think has quite a few caps. I recognized Alex too, but not sure I've seen him as much as Luisao. Anyway, there are many stars absent from this tournament (as I realized again with the absence of Recoba from Uruguay's squad). Apparently everybody wants to make this tournament an oppurtunity for up-and-coming players. I don't know who was missing from Colombia's team, but they better think about getting them back asap! <_<

I think Uruguay is lucky to get this far.  The referee was very kind to them in their last match.

I didn't see their previous match, but I was impressed by their performance against Brazil. They scored first, kept the pressure on, and defended pretty well overall. If Brazil hadn't surprised them with that quick goal to open the second half, they might have managed a win.

I'm getting excited about the EPL as well. I think Middlesbrough may be one the teams to watch. JFH is a good addition to a solid team.

My adopted team, Fulham, has picked up some good strikers. Bad news for McBride I guess. I think they could definitely make some noise.

I have a feeling Chelsea may be disappointed again this year. They look so good on paper (and against Celtic) but a new coach and WAY too many transfers in and out.

OK, I take it back, Chelsea may win everything! FA cup, the League, Champions League you name it.

They looked good again last night against Roma. 3-0, could've been more. They seem to be playing very well as a unit with some great teamwork in front of goal despite all the new faces.

I liked to see Ketzman (sp) step up for his teammate. That was an ugly foul.

I hope Chelsea's Arjen Robben will be able to play again soon. Before he went to PSV Eindhoven, he played for the local team here, FC Groningen, and he's one of the best Dutch players around at the moment. We can't afford to miss him in our World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic (again!)

Edited by J.A.W.