Japanese reissues, October - December 2004

J.A.W.

REVISED LIST (revised on August 25, 2004)

*cardboard sleeve

The following Verve CDs are scheduled for release.

On October 6,2004

Universal UCCV 9171(Verve)New24 bit Getz,Stan/Interpretations #3* 2345

Universal UCCV 9172(Verve)New24 bit Getz,Stan & Gerry Mulligan/Getz Meets Mulligan In Hi-Fi* 2345

Universal UCCV 9173(Verve)New24 bit Ellis,Herb/Nothin' But the Blues* 2345

Universal UCCV 9174(Verve)New24 bit Parker,Charlie/Night and Day* 2345

Universal UCCV 9175(Verve)New24 bit Getz,Stan & Oscar Peterson/Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio* 2345

Universal UCCV 9176(Verve)New24 bit Bauer,Billy/Plectrist* 2345

Universal UCCV 9177(Verve)New24 bit Edison,Harry/Sweets* 2345

Universal UCCV 9178(Verve)New24 bit Hodges,Johnny/Duke's in Bed* 2345

Universal UCCV 9179(Verve)New24 bit Rich,Buddy/In Miami* 2345

Universal UCCV 9180(Verve)New24 bit Hawkins,Coleman & Roy Eldridge/At the Opera House* 2345

Universal UCCV 9181(Verve)New24 bit Randi,Don/Where Do We Go from Here* 2345

Universal UCCV 9182(Verve)New24 bit Peterson,Oscar/Affinity* 2345

Universal UCCV 9183(Verve)New24 bit Davis Jr.,Sammy & Count Basie/Our Shining Hour* 2345

Universal UCCV 9184(Verve)New24 bit Randi,Don/Last Night* 2345

Universal UCCV 9185(Verve)New24 bit Johnson,J.J./J.J.'s Broadway* 2345

On November 3,2004

Universal UCCV 9186(Verve)New24 bit Evans,Bill/Trio '65* 2345

Universal UCCV 9187(Verve)New24 bit Getz,Stan & Laurindo

Almeida/Getz/Almeida* 2345

Universal UCCV 9188(Verve)New24 bit Montgomery,Wes/Goin' out of My Head* 2345

Universal UCCV 9189(Verve)New24 bit Smith,Jimmy/Bashin'* 2345

Universal UCCV 9190(Verve)New24 bit Kelly,Wynton/Undiluted* 2345

Universal UCCV 9191(Verve)New24 bit McFarland,Gary/Special Guest Soloist: Bill Evans* 2345

Universal UCCV 9192(Verve)New24 bit Byrd,Donald/Up With* 2345

Universal UCCV 9193(Verve)New24 bit Smith,Jimmy & Wes Montgomery/Further Adventure of Jimmy & Wes* 2345

Universal UCCV 9195(Verve)New24 bit Hodges,Johnny & Earl Hines/Stride Right* 2345

Universal UCCV 9196(Verve)New24 bit Kirk,Roland/Beautiful Edith* 2345

Universal UCCV 9197(Verve)New24 bit Green,Grant/His Majesty King Funk* 2345

Universal UCCV 9198(Verve)New24 bit Tjader,Cal/Soul Sauce* 2345

Universal UCCV 9200(Verve)New24 bit McFarland,Gary/Soft Samba Strings* 2345

On December 1, 2004

Universal UCCV 9201(Verve)New24 bit Holiday,Billie/Music for Torching* 2345

Universal UCCV 9202(Verve)New24 bit Fitzgerald,Ella/Ella in Hollywood* 2345

Universal UCCV 9203(Verve)New24 bit O'day,Anita/At Mr.Kelly's* 2345

Universal UCCV 9204(Verve)New24 bit Dearie,Blossom/My Gentlemen Friend* 2345

Universal UCCV 9205(Verve)New24 bit Powell,Jane/Can't We Be Friends?* 2345

Universal UCCV 9206(Verve)New24 bit Whiting,Margaret/Jerome Kern Songbook* 2345

Universal UCCV 9207(Verve)New24 bit Harper,Toni/Toni* 2345

Universal UCCV 9208(Verve)New24 bit Murphy,Rose/Not Cha Cha but Chi Chi* 2345

Universal UCCV 9209(Verve)New24 bit Carroll,Barbara/Barbara* 2345

Universal UCCV 9210(Verve)New24 bit Holiday,Billie/Carnegie Hall Concert* 2345

Edited by J.A.W.

Any comments on the McFarland with Evans album? That one's new to me.

This is an excellent session. Very quiet orchestral pieces, with a very impressionistic feel to them. McFarland plays vibes on all tracks, if I remember correctly. Nothing cheesy like some of McFarland's later work ("Soft Samba" comes to mind :rolleyes: ) on this one. I believe this is the first time on CD for this album, other than in the Bill Evans Verve box, which is how I'm familiar with it. If you're a Bill Evans fan, I highly recommend picking up this album (or the Verve box).

Just an aside, but these lists of 24 bit reissues suggest, to me at least, that SACD is hardly making big inroads in the market.  the preference sems to be with 24bit remasters.

I'll choose the 24-bit re-issues, but mostly because I don't want to have to buy a new machine, and the SACDs aren't backwards-compatible with CD players. They are coming down in price, but I already went through replacing many LPs with CDs in the 80s and I don't feel like doing it again. I'm sure they sound great, but I think newly remastered CDs sound very good too, and it isn't worth it to me yet (although I am the same guy who just bought a mono copy of Classic Records Moanin' when i already have numnerous versions of it, so who's the sucker, right? :lol: )

Just an aside, but these lists of 24 bit reissues suggest, to me at least, that SACD is hardly making big inroads in the market.  the preference sems to be with 24bit remasters.

I'll choose the 24-bit re-issues, but mostly because I don't want to have to buy a new machine, and the SACDs aren't backwards-compatible with CD players. They are coming down in price, but I already went through replacing many LPs with CDs in the 80s and I don't feel like doing it again. I'm sure they sound great, but I think newly remastered CDs sound very good too, and it isn't worth it to me yet (although I am the same guy who just bought a mono copy of Classic Records Moanin' when i already have numnerous versions of it, so who's the sucker, right? :lol: )

I don't want to rouse the wrathful spirit of GREG :rmad:

But when I see long lists of reissues, few if any of which are in SACD, I do have to wonder if the record companies are even considering the SACD format anymore.

Having said that, back to the music. That Grant Green "King Funk" looks interesting. Has that been released in the US before?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't want to rouse the wrathful spirit of GREG :rmad:

But when I see long lists of reissues, few if any of which are in SACD, I do have to wonder if the record companies are even considering the SACD format anymore.

The few audio posts I've seen elsewhere from Greg over the past year or so have often included finger-wagging chastisements of others for not buying SACDs... He blames consumers for the format's failure (so far) to take off.

"But when I see long lists of reissues, few if any of which are in SACD, I do have to wonder if the record companies are even considering the SACD format anymore.

The few audio posts I've seen elsewhere from Greg over the past year or so have often included finger-wagging chastisements of others for not buying SACDs... He blames consumers for the format's failure (so far) to take off. "

Greg's got quite a reputation for the chastisements.

The consumer IS responsible for the failure of SACD...because so few consumers are actually interested. Given the relatively minor meaningful sonic improvement, the deep conservatism of releases, the fact that the record companies have gone to the reissue well so many times on these titles that consumers have turned away...it's no real surprise.

And the wealth of really INTERESTING titles on CD just keeps on rolling. Looking forward to the new Alice Coltrane and the remasters from Japan...the new Jarrett...the new Kahil El Zabar with David Murray...the Joe Henderson Lighthouse reissue...just to name a few.

SACD? Same old stuff that's been reissued dozens of times for the wankers that like to buy the same narrow range of titles again and again.

The record companies laugh at those people.

Pete Townshend: "There's another thread of those audiophile nutcases talking about Who's Next on the Hoffman site!"

Roger Daltrey: "Great - when was the last time we reissued that one? Last year? "

Pete Townshend: "Yeah, sounds about right - time to bring out a new one, innit?"

Roger Daltrey: " You bet! I'll call Universal right away! Who should we get to remaster it?"

Pete Townshend: " Doesn't matter, so long as it's not Hoffman. If that guy does it, those guys will think it's the greatest thing ever, and we won't be able to reissue it

for at least a bloody decade! Guys like Hoffman kill the reissue business."

Roger Daltrey: "Cool. Let's get Astley to do it. They love to talk about Astley, so he generates lots of publicity...and that means sales!"

Pete Townshend: " Great, it's decided. See you at the bank!"