Upgrading the board

Hi folks,

Well, we've been having problems lately, as all of you know. I talked to my server admin today and we've determined the best course of action is to transfer "The Big O" to it's own server. Right now it shares a server with hundreds of other websites, which sometimes causes conflicts. With our own server, we can fine-tune mySQL and PHP to our specific needs (ie, hosting a forums) which will dramatically reduce downtime and silly errors like we have right now (ie, the searce function not working, email not working).

The cost? If I supply the server, then it will be between $50 and $75 per month, depending on how much bandwidth we need. Not bad. My brother and I are going to meet tonight to discuss building a server (since we build computers all the time anyway).

To date our members have donated $400 towards the board. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This will help tremendously with our goals.

I will keep you all updated on our progress.

----Jim

Sounds like a regular schedule of donations might be the best course of action, if this is going to be an ongoing monthly expense. 50 to 75 bucks (er..plus a few extra bucks for the beer fund... ;) ) isn't that much if it's spread out among a large number of us...

Sounds like a regular schedule of donations might be the best course of action, if this is going to be an ongoing monthly expense. 50 to 75 bucks (er..plus a few extra bucks for the beer fund... ;) ) isn't that much if it's spread out among a large number of us...

My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like a regular schedule of donations might be the best course of action, if this is going to be an ongoing monthly expense.  50 to 75 bucks (er..plus a few extra bucks for the beer fund... ;) ) isn't that much if it's spread out among a large number of us...

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe we could just set up an automatic withdrawl system using couw's bank account. At the end of the month we can all reimburse him. (or not) ;)

Sounds like a regular schedule of donations might be the best course of action, if this is going to be an ongoing monthly expense.  50 to 75 bucks (er..plus a few extra bucks for the beer fund... ;) ) isn't that much if it's spread out among a large number of us...

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe we could just set up an automatic withdrawl system using couw's bank account. At the end of the month we can all reimburse him. (or not) ;)

The one he keeps in Switzerland?

some deliberations... may sound negative, but eyyyyy....

50-75$ a month, that's 600-900$ a year. That's a lot of money. The initial boost that brought you 400$ will not hold on in eternity and people are unlikely to donate every month.

My guess is you will need a LOT of bandwidth, unless you seriously limit uploads. Question: do links to pics on other sites (just look at the babe thread...), affect your bandwidth too? or is this completely outside of your realm?

Just some thoughts to help this effort.

as I have no paypal account, I try to add some like this, may be frowned upon, but it's all in good spirit.

If all interested parties would donate $5 or $10 per month, the cost of the board's own server would be easily covered and then some.

I'd rather pay a little of my own money to support what I enjoy than to be forced to answer to the rules and regulations of a corporate board.

Edited by wesbed

Guest Chaney

Any interest in a banner ad? Maybe for CD Universe?

With click-through purchases, anyone know how much money that could provide or how that system is set up?

Any interest in a banner ad? Maybe for CD Universe?

With click-through purchases, anyone know how much money that could provide or how that system is set up?

Jazzmatazz' Alan Lankin will have the details - his site has CDU links.

Don't sweat it, Rainy Day.

Re: banner ads. I'd like to stay away from them if possible. I find them annoying. Besides, I don't want to be dependent upon some company for bread because that may affect what people can say here. Just imagine we got a Mosaic banner ad and they released a new set that was a piece of crap and it was panned on this board (ok, a long shot, but humor me!) They probably wouldn't be happy.

The server I'm looking at costs about $400. I am currently spending $6 a month for this site. I have no problem kicking that up to $10, maybe even $20. So that's another $30 per month that we'll need to raise. It can be just like public radio! We'll have an annual fundraiser where you can't read or post to any topics until we reach our pledge goal!!!

Ok, maybe not! :) That would be annoying too.

:g

Actually, I could maybe get Randy and Joe to help pay for the site, since they don't do shit! :g:g Ha! We'll make it work.

I don't want to make donations voluntary and I don't want to screw up the vibe of this place by messing around with advertisers. If you can throw a little bread our way now and again, we'll appreciate it.

Oh, and I expect everyone to buy multiple copies of our next CD when it comes out! :)