What Music Are You Taking with You on Vacation?

paul secor

My wife and I are going to the Connecticut shore for a mini vacation in the next couple of weeks, and I've been setting aside music I might want to listen to. I always end up taking more than I'll have time to listen to, but I like to have a lot of choices. So far it's:

Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music Volume Four (Revenant)

Charlie Feathers: Get with It (Revenant)

Hastings Street Blues Opera (P-Vine)

The Erroll Garner Collection Vols 4&5 - Solo Time (Emarcy)

Nico: 1968/1973 (Sonodisc)

The Best of King Gospel (Ace)

Bill Doggett: Leaps and Bounds (Charly)

Charles "Baron" Mingus: 1945-49 (Uptown)

Ornette Coleman Trio at the Golden Circle - Vol. 1 (BN)

Doug Sahm: The Last Real Texas Blues Band (Antone's)

Andrew Cyrille: X Man (Soul Note)

'Etoile de Dakar: Xalis (Pam)

Kenny Baker & Josh Graves: The Puritan Sessions (Rebel)

Guillermo Portabales: 16 Exitos (UR)

Joe Harriott Quintet: Abstract ( Redial)

The Delmore Brothers: Sand Mountain Blues (County)

Serge Chaloff: Boston 1950 (Uptown)

Guitars of the Columbian Andes (Musique du Monde

and

Frank Hewitt (Smalls)

Arthur Rhames/Rashied Ali (Ayler) - if they arrive in time

I'm interested in what other folks listen to when they're away from home, and I just thought I'd share what I'll be listening to when I'm away.

Alas, when I'm on vacation, it's compromise city, as my wife really doesn't dig this stuff. We generally go with the stuff that matches up the best between us like Motown stuff and seventies soul, plus add whatever we think we can get away with. Usually Steve Roach on her part and Jim Hall or light Getz on mine...

This is where the ipod is so great. I've got the Art Ensemble box along with other things my wife and friends have no interest in for headphones, and I've got all of my Trojan boxsets as well for speakers when the friends are around! Its great for travelling.

I'll probably load up on Atlantic stuff, and the Trojan stuff for partying, along with various jazz. Everyone knows to expect mostly jazz from me these days anyway and most everyone has kind of taken an interest in it. Not to the point where they'll be joining an internet group or anything, but...

I have a small stash of about 9 cd-rs & cassettes for the little portable jobber out in Minnesota that I just play over & over again ( Elmo Hope Quintet, Harold Land 'West Coast Blues', Thad Jones "Det.-NY', Sam Jones 'Chant', Jay Jay ....and some Shelly Manne Blackhawk stuff). The cd-rs get popped into a desk drawer for safe keeping.....& the cassettes (all w/o cases) I just stick on the tips of an 8-point Whitetail deer rack that's hanging on the cabin wall.

I leave for a week in Maui on Thursday, and I have a case with about 50 cdr compilations I put together. No repeats. All favorites. Many genres. Includes comps of my favorites from BFTs 1-12!!!

Mahalo!

jon-when you take the road to hana, at the "end" don't turn around-remember, it's an island-you'll end up where you started. then the adventure begins. dirt roads and then an old stone church (probably from the 1700's)!

drive carefully!

B)

I just finished burning some compilations to take with me on the trip to California.

I've included the standard favorites to drive my friends crazy.

Going to burn one more tonight to include some Woody Shaw, more Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz, and some of the new Fathead Newman stuff I just got.

I just got back from Florida and I brought two disc cases. One just for me, all jazz, mostly Blue Note. The other a rock / pop mix for the car. The Funk and Disco compilations from Walmart are great driving music. We also had Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jet, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd.

Actually I didn't get to listen to too many discs during the week as we were watching videos for the kids in the car and chasing kids while at the beach.