The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why did I not pick up "Fallout from the Phil Zone" a long time ago?

There's some really good Pigpen on these discs!

Yes, some blazing Pigpen on there.

Also on Download #12, St. Louis 1969. The band is having fun throwing misplaced accents and offbeats at him, and he's throwing them right back.

Why did I not pick up "Fallout from the Phil Zone" a long time ago?

There's some really good Pigpen on these discs!

Yes, some blazing Pigpen on there.

Also on Download #12, St. Louis 1969. The band is having fun throwing misplaced accents and offbeats at him, and he's throwing them right back.

Hmmm.. . another one for me to get around too when I'm back home. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes. It appears that the powers that be erased my file. Maybe that's a good thing.

As to Ramrod, RIP. :tup:tup:tup

I "met" him once in 1970--if you can call it meeting him. While the band was busy having fun, Ramrod was busy keeping things in place, checking wires, running gaffer tape, a true mother hen. I attempted a hello which was met with a brief eye contact. There was no animosity; rather, there was a sense of cosmic urgency about keeping the machine running. Hell of a driver, too, from what I understand. Well, I hope he's partying with Jerry, Neal Cassady, and Kesey. He deserves it.

As to Dead.net: hmmm, remember all the acrimony about the sbd downloads on archive? Now you know why they had to pull the plug. Business is business. When you issue a Dick's Picks and sell only 10,000 copies, there just ain't much profit. The number of remaining copies is large as is evidenced by the3 various "sets" that are available. I think they went to downloads to save on pressing costs. Most bands who sell their own concerts (e.g. Pearl Jam who started the idea of selling each live show after the event) have reverted to downloads to cut costs. Remember, Dead.net was converting the whole catalogue to downloadable form to try to entice extra sales.

I'm sure that the live releases will be resurrected as soon as Rhino can get them going.

Edited by orchiddoctor

"Asking you nice, now, to keep the mother rolling one more time."

Whew. I wasn't sure if I thought I'd been erased or if my thoughts has been erased or if I weren't real, in which case you are not real either.. This has been a problem for me since 1967 when someone handed me a funky bottle of "apple juice."

Considering how wonderful this board is to begin with, well, I'm just glad to be able to post and read posts.

Our host does an excellent job, and if the mothah gets bumped around--well, we can no longer count on Ramrod to fix it before the big gig.

Now another member of the tribe is gone. When did we all start to whither on the vine? Thank God Phil's still cooking.

I can see Woodstock 2009, forty years on. We'll be rolling in on wheelchairs--after the Feds require handicapped access through the mud--with joints hanging out of our respirators, wearing ratty old Dead t-shirts, and our pacemakers beating time to the music. There will be food tents providing organic mush and facilities for composting our Depends. Our great grandchildren will be dancing naked in the sun.

But we will be there, damn it, and we will surivive.

And no computer glitch is going to slow us down. :cool:

Oh Damn...

I was ready to download some new shows at www.archive.org but they are only available as streams or crappy variable bit MP3s... :( .It's been a while since I've been trying to download new shows and this really came as a surprise. www.gdlive.com is also dead :(

I found another good place to download GD shows. shnflac.net

Really good site.

You can download software called total recorder for a few bucks. It will capture streaming files and turn them into downloads.The process is as simple as a cassette: turn on record then stream the show. This will reopen the archives for you. One note: it actually records, so don't do anything else on your computer--if, for example, you open a window while recording, you will get a sonic blip on your copy.

Also, Sugarmegs.org has a ton of streams. Sugarmegs still has the Europe '72 shows streaming (or did last month). Try also Dime a dozen.org for dead as well as Coltrane, Art Ensemble--thousands of Bit Torrent downloads--some DVDs as well.

I was googling for info on the fate of dead.net when I found this classic article from 1999;

http://www.stereophile.com/news/10430/

Interesting: the dead's attorneys shut down a site that was allowing mp3 downloads of live material. Sound familiar? But this was 1999, long before the archive fiasco!

This is the amusing part:

"That's the essence of GDP vs. MP3 as it now stands, but it's only the tip of the iceberg regarding the Grateful Dead's revenue stream. On Saturday, January 17, 1998, San Francisco Chronicle columnist Ken Garcia (no relation to Jerry) wrote a blistering report on the Dead's proposed "theme park"---a $60 million hotel/restaurant/museum complex to be called Terrapin Station. The project, with the blessing of the San Francisco mayor's office, would be funded by a small amount of seed money provided by band members and GDP, with the bulk of the financing to be raised by the issuance of non-participating stock---meaning fans could help build the place, but wouldn't share in the profits. The complex would feature a Mars Hotel, a Dancing Bear Café, and a souvenir shop selling everything from little skull Christmas-tree ornaments to American Beauty golf shirts."

I can just imagine: there would be a "sugar cube" ride through a series of chambers thematically grouped around each l.p. as played out in dayglo and mirror balls. There would naturally be a roller coaster called "The Acid Test." And, of course, there would be rides that involved the patrons just sitting there, in soft chairs, staring at the laser show in the sky. Not to mention all of the cute, cuddly "Jerrys" that would wander the park for child hugging photo ops.

Don't lick the postcards.

And one wonders why these wide eyed dreamers are broke! :w

You can download software called total recorder for a few bucks. It will capture streaming files and turn them into downloads.The process is as simple as a cassette: turn on record then stream the show. This will reopen the archives for you. One note: it actually records, so don't do anything else on your computer--if, for example, you open a window while recording, you will get a sonic blip on your copy.

Also, Sugarmegs.org has a ton of streams. Sugarmegs still has the Europe '72 shows streaming (or did last month). Try also Dime a dozen.org for dead as well as Coltrane, Art Ensemble--thousands of Bit Torrent downloads--some DVDs as well.

Thanks. Sugarmegas surely has A LOT of shows,not only Grateful Dead gigs but also some pretty good sounding Jefferson Airplane,Joni Mitchell gigs as well.

I found another way to record those gigs.I just recorded Joni Mitchell's 1965-1966 gig with Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's too bad that I get the following error message at dimedozen.org over and over again:

We are very sorry!

At the moment, there are at least 93,500 registered users at www.dimeadozen.org, the maximum allowed under DIME's current configuration.

I just have to try registering myself every day.It's going to happen sooner or later.

Edited by Swinger

At the moment, there are at least 93,500 registered users at www.dimeadozen.org, the maximum allowed under DIME's current configuration.

I just have to try registering myself every day.It's going to happen sooner or later.

I didn't have luck for about a week (trying once or twice a day) until one night I just kept trying to register every 3 to 5 minutes. Within half an hour I got in. Cross your fingers and maybe the same trick will work for you.

Heard a rumor that Vince Welnick died today. Can't find anything on the net about it. While he was not my favorite performer to occupy the keyboard bench in the Dead(Okay, I admit it. I used to refer to him as "Wince") from every thing I've read about him he was supposedly a really nice guy.

Heard a rumor that Vince Welnick died today. Can't find anything on the net about it.

It appears to be true as it's on the official Dead site. Can't cut and paste from it, but no cause is given, just a note that begins "the wheel is turning almighty fast." His own website still has tour dates up for later this month.

While he was not my favorite performer to occupy the keyboard bench in the Dead(Okay, I admit it. I used to refer to him as "Wince") from every thing I've read about him he was supposedly a really nice guy.

I know what you mean. As one who was once held hostage to a "Way To Go Home" I can't pretend to have loved him. But as you say, I've repeatedly heard that he was a really nice guy, and that counts for something.

Edited by Quincy

Search function is not working at all for me these days. . . so I'll ask: anyone listening tot he Joe Gallant (some of them are "and the Illuminati") interpretations of Dead material?

I've been enjoying "Terrapin" a lot. Sort of a bass-directed big band . . . Fuses lots of jazz and rock and blues. I've ordered two others, Blues for Allah, and a cd of tunes from a number of albums/shows.

I didn't have luck for about a week (trying once or twice a day) until one night I just kept trying to register every 3 to 5 minutes. Within half an hour I got in. Cross your fingers and maybe the same trick will work for you.

Well I finally made it and got myself registered at dimeadozen. It has some REALLY good shows for download!

Note how lukewarm the official statements are. (Vince was "competent.")

Maybe the Usenet commentator got it right after all.

Then again--do you think that group is destined for sainthood? They are just as bickering a bunch as anyone else. I'm sure they saw Vince as a hired hand. If he seemed to be a compenent player, it was only because the dead had sunk to being at best a competent band.

Of course, if Hornsby died, that would be different.

Vince allegedly died from suicide, as did Brent Mydland. Pattern?