The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Oh, my! Thanks, Lon!

Love the Copenhagen '72 clips, even if the sound isn't synched. (Note that on Jack Straw, Bobby sings lead all the way.)

Bobby sang the whole lead for about a year. Then they realized that the song was a dialogue. I like it much better with Jerry splitting the vocals.

There aren't many clips of the dead from the early days. These are great. They should be releasing "Sunshine Daydream"--from the famous Field Trip show-any decade now. Of note is that the New Riders of the Purple Sage's set from that concert has been released for a while. BTW., Sugarmegs.org and Nugs.net are both streaming that show. Sugarmegs is still hosting almost all of Europe '72--most of the stuff removed from the archives.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Dead web site to order Dick's Picks #36. Like many of you, my preferences tend towards earlier iterations of The Dead and this one is said to be a pretty good representation of that place in time. At any rate, I thought as long as I was getting one DP, I might as well look for another, you know, why get just one when you can have two. To make a long story short, I wound up adding #27 to my order. This is the first of the DP series to feature Vince Welnick. It's from a 12/16/92 concert at the Oakland Coliseum. I must say, I've warmed up big time to this iteration of the band. I know Jerry was having health problems around this time, but the band is just bang on. They do some tunes you don't normally associate with The Dead as well as a terrific reading of "Playin' In The Band", but I think as much as anything, it's Welnick who carries the day. His backing vocals just seem to kick Garcia's and Weir's up a notch. He takes the high harmony parts and, I don't know, it all just sounds real good to me. In addition, Garcia is starting to fool around with various guitar effects and I think that adds some pop to his lines as well. This is one I would highly recommend if you haven't heard it before. Wish there were more DP's out with Welnick. Not only can he sing, but he's no slouch on the keybords.

Up over and out.

You might well enjoy some of the stuff with both Welnick and Bruce Hornsby. The double keyboard pushed Jerry into some very nice "cracker shit." His vocals did blend the band a bit--especially on the reincarnation of Here Comes Sunshine. Even though I'm one of those die hard early days fanatics, great music is great music.

By the way: a confession. The last time I saw the band was Fall 1980 at the Fabulous Fox here in Atlanta. Frankly, I thought they sucked big time. Yesterday, I streamed the show from the Archives, and it blew me away. Better than the Reckoning stuff by a mile. Dead on playing, from start to finish. What was I smoking?

I was delighted to see that little Martin guitar. You most often see and hear the dreadnaughts. I had one of those. . .great guitar. . . but those smaller Martins just have such a mellow warm sound.

Indeed -- much better-suited to fingerpicking, and easier to wrestle!

OD,

Any specific recommendations with regard to the double keyboard band? Don't think there are any DP's, but I'd definitely check out any other material you think is worthwhile. Thanks.

Up over and out.

There are 2 Vince + Bruce DPs.

#9 9-16-90 Madison Square Garden

#17 9-25-91 Boston Garden

Haven't heard either. Some complaints about #9 mainly because some wanted a different night of the run chosen. Same complaints about Boston too. That a common complaint it seems.

Everyone has their favorites. Most of 91 is comprised of shows that are up and down; but I'd recommend 4/1; 6/17; 9/10 with Branford Marsalis. 9/20/90 also smokes. (The whole of that MSG run--9/14,15,16,18, and 20 is considered to be their last great run).

Of course DPs are not the best shows; just ask any deadhead :cool: The next night was always better! The two Dps are good choices. The only down side here is Jerry's smoked out voice.

:D

Actually the webpage I got that from says it was RON McKERNAN!

They had one of a very young Billy Kreutzman in cowboy gitup as well.

Pigpen--the horse or the kid? Can't believe he was once petite.

On a separate idea--just tossing it out to all you Dead jammers. When the Dead--for me--were peaking (1972 or so), I was able to move out into the "Jazz" realm. Early Weather Report, Coltrane, Blue Note recordings, Alber Ayler--god the list is long--eventually moving into AACM territory. I moved back to the East Coast in 1976, by which time I was hardly listening to any rock 'n roll. Instead, I was steeped into the likes of Sun Ra and--most imporantly--The Art Ensemble of Chicago. I first saw them in Ann Arbor in 1972 (released on LP and CD). Then there was the week long residence at the Five Spot in NYC in 1975, the concerts at the Foxhole in Philly, back to New York, and so on. I liked the variety of music that they wove into their tapestry, and I really loved the way that they could move from one idea--or song--to another, much as I had heard the dead do. And they aften had special guests. Sometimes they would open a set with a particular tune, go into Space and improvise, then land in another tune. Or they might start by letting the air out and moving into a tune out of nowhere. Reese---Old Time Religion--Funky Aeco--El Toro--Odwalla. Similar to Dark Star--St. Stephen--Eleven--Lovelight. Or latter day Playing in the Band sets. No two nights were the same.

Point? Should there be a thread for this seminal group? There really isn't that much on the Board about them.

Thoughts?

Sure, create a corner/thread.

I myself. . . I've never gotten into the AEC. . .and I figure I've saved a few thousand dollars by not getting into them! :D

You don't know what you're missing/missed. Can't say enough about that group--the orogonal lineup post moye.