The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to remember passing that test quite a few (too many) times, and almost always with Captain Trips at the helm. Well, "remember" is a relative term. All of those long conversations with-----nobody?

DON'T DRINK THE APPLE JUICE. Oh, wait, "Have a drink of apple juice. (Snicker.)"

Amazing how it seemed so right at the time, but I wouldn't want my kids to do it. Can you imagine Brittany Spears on acid?

Oh--If you can actually fill out the Uncle Sam questionnaire above, you have failed the acid test. If you can even get the "name" part correct, go back to square one and have another drink.

Thanks, Jazzbo, for those postcards from memory lane.

Jerry always had cool guitars with the band. . . from that Guild he started out with through the Les Pauls and the Strats and then those incredible Irwin guitars. . . .

One of the ones I like the sounds of the most is the Travis Bean he sometimes used in the Jerry Garcia Band (as well as with the Dead).

I recently finished reading Phil's book "Searching For The Sound" and I was unprepared for the depth and scope of the man.......I always considered him a background type with Pig, Bob and Jerry being the trail blazers for the music- but I underestimated Phil as a leader.

Listen to the stuff from pre-Europe '72. Weir is very much in the background (when you can hear him at all) and Lesh is very much out front. Garcia, Lesh and the drummers were the core of the Dead jamming machine back when the band was (for me) at its peak.